Extracting sniffy loo, via extractor fan (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Whilst on a site recently, a van had an electric extractor fan system fitted to the Thetford waste door.
What is it called? Who supplies and are they easily fitted?
Any info please
Ian S

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Its called a SOG. lots of info online but be sure to get the right one for your cassette
Manufacturers website
Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Link Removed

For information only. No recommendation implied.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You also don't need to use any chemicles with a SOG IMHO well worth the money

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
A fair few You Tube videos of fitting them. really easy to do, bit of electrics and a few holes to drill.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
SOG are not the only people who sell extract fans for toilets. If you have a Thetford 250 or 260 toilet they already have an extractor system built into the cassette. All you need to do is buy their extract kit to make it work.

Our previous motorhome (2008} and our new one both had it fitted as standard. Extracts under the floor so no vents in the door. And, inlike the SOG you do not have to disconnect and reconnect everytime you empty the loo, it is done automatically when you slide it out and back in.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We use our SOG toilet just the same as a normal loo with chemicals and all, the difference being that you can have a poo with the door open if you want and there won't be any stinky smells escaping into the bathroom or bedroom. The fan draws the whiffs backwards and up, in our case, a little chimney and out of the roof. It's a boon!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
SOG are not the only people who sell extract fans for toilets. If you have a Thetford 250 or 260 toilet they already have an extractor system built into the cassette. All you need to do is buy their extract kit to make it work.
On the new van I order a SOG and it came fitted but they didn't use the existing vent in the cassette like they did in the last van which had a C402 the bench loo. This van has a C260 and to my suprise it came with all the bits for the Thetford venting and the fan was fitted an enabled but the filter wasn't fitted, I got the dealer to disable the fan as it wasn't doing anything and it was a really noisy fan.
I was a bit miffed at first as I'd paid €180 for the SOG and the van came with the Thetford equivalent but after reading the instructions I was a happy bunny. The SOG you change the filter once a year with the Thetford it says change the filter every season after 4 weeks of use, I can see why, it's a tiny filter compared to the SOG under floor extraction filter & there is not much difference in the price. That's not even one trip for us and would work out very expensive.
Also the Thetford one only works when you flush the loo where the SOG kicks in when you open the blade.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we had one on our first MH, not sure whether it was fitted wrongly but we had 2 significant issues

1. When travelling with a full cassette when wild camping, brown liquid ended up running out of the SOG outlet down side of MH

2. When taking the cassette out you had to disconnect and bung up the hose connection, which I also did when travelling to avoid above, this connection is directly to the top of the cassette so not pleasant

As far as I know ours had no filter fitted so any odour was just passed on to whoever was next door

Not a fan myself, but now have a black tank anyway

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
we had one on our first MH, not sure whether it was fitted wrongly but we had 2 significant issues

1. When travelling with a full cassette when wild camping, brown liquid ended up running out of the SOG outlet down side of MH

2. When taking the cassette out you had to disconnect and bung up the hose connection, which I also did when travelling to avoid above, this connection is directly to the top of the cassette so not pleasant

As far as I know ours had no filter fitted so any odour was just passed on to whoever was next door

Not a fan myself, but now have a black tank anyway
Been using SOG's for 10 years never had one leak, roof vent ones don't have a filter, under floor and door vent ones do, the door vent ones do need changing regularly if you use the van a lot, more than the once a year they state or it can get a bit smelly outside. The underfloor ones have a plastic canister filled with active charcoal so present a far bigger area of filtering and work better but are expensive, I've kept an old one to have a go at refilling it.

One advantage of the floor & roof vents if you stink out the neighbours they don't know it's you.:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: JJ

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Just don't park next to one with a door vent !! I see they should have a filter but think folks are either too tight to buy a new one when needed or they don't work !!!

Reactions: JJ
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
But our poo smells like unicorn and rainbow perfume and the sweet aroma falleth like the rain from heaven on those fortunate to be around us......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back