extra step on hymer ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by greyman1, Jul 6, 2012.

1. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

i have just noticed that behind where the single electric step folds up on my hymer 534 there is a compartment with what appears to be another set of folded up steps[2 rungs] . were these a optional extra ? is it straightforward to fit them or is it really not worth the hassle ?

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

We only have the single step on my Hymer. Often we would be much better with two, but I don't think a twin step will fit my setup. I'd definitely think it worth the hassle.

3. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

We have a S700 (1992). It had a single electric step fitted when we purchased it. After not retracting it and clipping a parked car with it on day 1, we fitted an Omnistep 380 Alu double. These steps are designed for B model Hymers. The one we purchased was even marked with the Hymer logo (Ex Brownhills stock from O'Learys). This is much better than the original for getting in and out.

During the perod our step was unusable we purchased an aluminium Hymer folding standalone double step from Brownhills. I wonder if someone has bought one of these steps and mounted it under the van to save storage space.

Unfortunately our new step has also met the same fate. We hit a mound of sand on the side of a track and bent it back. (again moving with the step out and the warning buzzer we fitted, failed to work). We have ordered a link for the mechanism from John Rose at Rose Awnings at Poole. This damage had caused the square in the link to grind out into a circle. A new link was £19.88 inc postage. A new step if this fails to work is £370.

John

4. Paulh

Paulh Read Only Funster

On our RV it"s impossible to leave the step out as, if the ignition is on and the door shut , it retracts :Smile: this also aplies to the electric awning and the jacks that retract when the parking brake is released :Smile:. I"m surprised a high end maker like Hymer doesn"t have this feature.

5. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

Hi Paul

They do fit this system but with age you can get (1.) bad contacts (2.) fogetfull.

I knew the buzzer was getting a bit hit and miss and was planning to sort it out. (2.) kept getting in the way.

Brownhills tried fitting the auto retract relay to our van, when they fitted the new step, but opted instead to fit a buzzer as a reminder instead. It worked fine for 5 years.

John

6. Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete Read Only Funster

Mine has twin retracting steps and I thought all Hymers did.

Pete:Cool: