Extra mpg device?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by hobson, Dec 26, 2008.

1. hobson

hobson Read Only Funster

I remember a few years ago fitting a device called a Hi-Clone to my land rover, it was a kind of fixed blade fan thing which fitted in the air intake pipe and was designed to swirl the air and fuel together giving better combustion, resulting in better mpg and more torque, it was dead easy to fit and didn't cost much.
    I noticed it did make a difference to fuel consumption, and it did pick up better, but at the time i rather enjoyed the extra pick up more than i should have, which obviousley had an adverse effect on the mpg! :RollEyes:
    i was wondering however if anyone had heard of anything similar being used on motorhomes?
    I would think with the big engines we have it could make a decent difference, especially with the current economic climate.
    every little helps....

here's a pic i found of some:

2. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

To put it in not too many words its a load of old fanny!! The best you could hope for is that by introducing some swirl to the air going in it might mix better with the fuel but this isn't going to give you any noticeable, or even measurable, improvement in either power, torque or fuel economy. On a diesel it will not make a scrap of difference as the fuel doesn't mix with the air till its inside the cylinder. Save yer money 'cos these things are a con, just like the boy racers with big bore silencers, they don't really make them any quicker but they sound it.

D.

3. Tony Santara

Tony Santara Funster

I've seen these on sale on American E-Bay they called them a" Vortec" or something like that

I agree with Dave load of bunkum.. I asked about them on an American forum and everybody agreed .... waste of money

4. Terry

Terry Funster

:Rofl1: The best way to improve your mpg is spend the money on a clean air filter and service :thumb::Rofl1:making sure the injecters are clean
    terry

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

in the late 60's early 70's there was a thing going around that replaced the stock air filter.
    It had an air path that started big and wide, went around and around gatting smaller and smaller..
    This was supposed to increase the velocity of the air going into the carb.. Of course it did little for the volume as that remained the same so was, as described alsewhere, just a load of old fanny !

6. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

Your right foot is the best economiser, as well as good, clean, filters.