Oct 25, 2012
Durham Tees valley
Funster No
MH
c class Swift voyager
Exp
30+yrs
Hi
Just wondering how i an put some more exterior marker lights on the van like you see on some trucks. Used to have them on my old vans but this one has something called a canbus system so i am unsure about adding any extra lighting in case it confuses the ecu causing it to shut down or something, I am not to nolagable with modern vehicle electronics

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Side marker lights are a mandatory requirement on longer vehicles, so the manufacturer will have fitted as many as are required. (Or are you telling us that Swift forgot to do it?)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if the existing marker lights are canbus controlled you cant safely add more.....but i doubt they are canbus controlled.
Canbus is generally for mandatory road lights....head and tail/brake and indicators.

If it is canbus and you add to it you would need to add a bypass relay to the side/tail light circuit.....which is a pain.

Best option....You could add extras and wire them to a seperate switch but would need to be powered from an ignition switched live source so they dont get laft on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
Hi,

Side marker lights are not required on a passenger vehicle even if it is over 6 metres long.

If you do fit them here are the positioning dimensions as in the appropriate regulations.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/9/made

My van has a fuse within the habitation fuse box which controls the side marker lights. As I understand it quite a number of other vans are rigged the same. You might want to explore that idea.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back