extra lighting

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by voyager 1, Feb 4, 2014.

1. voyager 1

voyager 1 Read Only Funster

Hi
    Just wondering how i an put some more exterior marker lights on the van like you see on some trucks. Used to have them on my old vans but this one has something called a canbus system so i am unsure about adding any extra lighting in case it confuses the ecu causing it to shut down or something, I am not to nolagable with modern vehicle electronics

2. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Side marker lights are a mandatory requirement on longer vehicles, so the manufacturer will have fitted as many as are required. (Or are you telling us that Swift forgot to do it?)

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

if the existing marker lights are canbus controlled you cant safely add more.....but i doubt they are canbus controlled.
    Canbus is generally for mandatory road lights....head and tail/brake and indicators.

If it is canbus and you add to it you would need to add a bypass relay to the side/tail light circuit.....which is a pain.

Best option....You could add extras and wire them to a seperate switch but would need to be powered from an ignition switched live source so they dont get laft on.

4. cronkle

cronkle Funster

Hi,

Side marker lights are not required on a passenger vehicle even if it is over 6 metres long.

If you do fit them here are the positioning dimensions as in the appropriate regulations.
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/9/made

My van has a fuse within the habitation fuse box which controls the side marker lights. As I understand it quite a number of other vans are rigged the same. You might want to explore that idea.

5. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Or you could just fit some really good reflectors....

Allan