Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I wonder if the Webasto would run on heating oil? It's basically parafine /kerosene so a poor lubricant for pumps if they are not designed for it. Could be an expensive experiment!

Yes it will! But not with Webasto's approval!
Ref white vs red diesel, there's more difference than just the dye!
The cetane ratings, sulphur content and even max allowable water:Eeek: content are different.

Reactions: DBK

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
if an extra filter was put in the fuel line would that solve the extra water content in red ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The cetane ratings, sulphur content and even max allowable water:Eeek: content are different.
Which is odd because the current, and very sophisticated, farm tractor and machinery engines run on it day-in-day-out without issue?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I wonder if the Webasto would run on heating oil? It's basically parafine /kerosene so a poor lubricant for pumps if they are not designed for it. Could be an expensive experiment!
I know a van dealer of 30 years standing who uses ch oil when vans need it.:LOL:
Which is odd because the current, and very sophisticated, farm tractor and machinery engines run on it day-in-day-out without issue?
Yes , hardly likely to want to put red in a 100k+ tractor if it is going to ruin the engine.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Just check the Standards, it's different!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
red I have ben told is the back wash Frome the refinery the component below standard road diesel I don't know but it is slightly lower grad higher sulphur content
bill

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
There is NO DIFFERENCE IT is added at the loading bay, The officer on duty checks the paperwork and batch for delivery then adds the fluid through the hatches. the tanker mixes it by movement. The bollocks about the red damaging engines was put out to scare people into not using it. A modern Tractor would not be able to run on it if it was substandard as the particulate filters and other systems would go wrong. I would not put in an expensive piece of £100 000 agri equipment if it was going to muck it up, would you, it isnt even that much cheaper at a bout 75 ppg with VAT,
If Webasto heaters go wrong with it they must be a pile of poo. We used it on eberspeschers for years and no problems to heat the cabs on our fleet. Which is why I would do it on a van.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
No point in getting angry.
The standards are different.

If a refiner wishes to produce only road quality diesel fuel then dye it, it's up to them.

The point is, red diesel may, quite legally be produced to a different standard.

Lots of boats and other vehicles run red through their heaters, agreed. If Webasto say you can't run it in a Dualtop, and you wish to keep your warranty, don't!

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Was trying to add a couple files. Don't think it happened lol. Interesting thread though.

Attachments

• Changes-Spec-NR-Gas-Oil-261110.pdf
    31.2 KB · Views: 16
  • doc122.pdf
    18 KB · Views: 15

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Was trying to add a couple files. Don't think it happened lol. Interesting thread though.

Cheers Andy.

The quality improvement in red diesel is only from 2011 onwards. Up until then, red diesel differed substantially from road diesel. The new standards MAY be met with simply dyeing road fuel, the new standard does not require this.
Red diesel may or may not be dyed road fuel, it depends on the producer.

I rest my case!

The new standards have caused concern in the agricultural industry due to the higher biodiesel content.
Older storage systems have suffered with degrading seals and hoses. Those who buy large quantities have also had to consider mixing the stored fuel to prevent separation during long term storage.
Far from Farmers being concerned about what goes in their tractors, its a pain in the backside for them!

Last edited:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Cheers Andy.

The quality improvement in red diesel is only from 2011 onwards. Up until then, red diesel differed substantially from road diesel. The new standards MAY be met with simply dyeing road fuel, the new standard does not require this.
Red diesel may or may not be dyed road fuel, it depends on the producer.

I rest my case!

The new standards have caused concern in the agricultural industry due to the higher biodiesel content.
Older storage systems have suffered with degrading seals and hoses. Those who buy large quantities have also had to consider mixing the stored fuel to prevent separation during long term storage.
Far from Farmers being concerned about what goes in their tractors, its a pain in the backside for them!
That's my take on it after reading the documents. It's covered by a different standard but from a reliable supplier may well be road diesel dyed. Quality would appear to be more about storage time and conditions..
Having said that I always intended to put a small tank in for red to run my heater. Just never got round to it yet.
Loads on the boat forums been doing it for years.
Ta andy

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
It is only the Dualtop which I was told could not run on red. That was 4 yrs ago though, before the latest EU fuel directives.
As for the rest of the Webasto range, I have no idea!
Best to check with Webasto technical before you potentially invalidate the warranty on a £2000 heater!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Here it would all be " road diesel " dyed as it is dispensed at service stations as Gasoleo B for which you require a self-employment card or business card,theoretically.
Bulk supply to farm contractors would be the same as most here run top of range new kit.only place I could see it being the lower standard would be fuel for boats.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Very good point. I specified the 120 litre tank on ours, seemed like a good idea at the time but I am pushed to come up with a convincing justification, although it didn't cost a lot as a Fiat fitted extra.

It just means a typical cost of a visit to a pump is £100. :eek:

Only if you let it run low...BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back