Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
About to buy one of these to increase our capacity,intend to locate it in the shower tray area as we never use the shower (we only ever use campsites so use their facilities) and have strengthened the floor in preparation.Also will probably only ever use it in 240v mode for the same reasons as above,seems like a good buy, anybody any comments?
Broken Link Removed

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
They are great, as long as you remember that they are really only a COOL box, and not an additional fridge.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you drill holes in the shower tray you will probably have to replace it if you sell the van. A compressor coolbox would an alternative but they are not cheap.

Sorry, just clicked on the link. Those type of coolbox near useless in very hot weather as they only chill a set amount below ambient, 16C for the Halfords one, which is why you really need a compressor one if possible. But they are eye-wateringly expensive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
We have summat similar and it isn't really a fridge when the weather is warm.

But what we do is buy ice, fill fridge and stick it on 12v as we drive along and contents stay lovely and cold :Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Agree with the previous posts..

A better buy would be a proper 3 way portable fridge.. for example..

The Dometic Combicool RC1700 cool box.. can cool to 32°C below the ambient temperature

Link Removed

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
We have a very old Halfords cool-box that still works and has been used in the past on many camping trips in the UK and abroad.

Points to note, as mentioned above:-

1. They'll 'cool' below ambient, but will never be particularly cold or fridge-like. OK in cold ambient conditions and mediocre at best when it's warm. In very hot conditions, such as Italy (from experience), it struggled and the butter melted.

2. They run all the time. They rarely, if ever, stop. Bear that in mind at night.

3. They need good ventilation to work to their best.

4. Capacity isn't great, but they're a help.

If you do want an infinitely better long-term, low energy solution that's a proper fridge and often a freezer that will last a lifetime, then look for a secondhand Engel. They're not cheap but you won't regret it. And they're dual voltage, so will happily run on 12v and 240v without issue. Or turn down to the coolest setting, freeze the contents (minus 14'C and lower) and use it as an ice / cool box for a week or so.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hdvrod

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
If you drill holes in the shower tray you will probably have to replace it if you sell the van. A compressor coolbox would an alternative but they are not cheap.

Sorry, just clicked on the link. Those type of coolbox near useless in very hot weather as they only chill a set amount below ambient, 16C for the Halfords one, which is why you really need a compressor one if possible. But they are eye-wateringly expensive.
Thanks for the response,I have fitted a piece of leftover kitchen worktop on the shower tray which fits the space perfectly so no drilling involved.We only intend to use the coolbox for water,beer etc. so hopefully it should be okay,we are travelling to Spain next month for 4 months and intend using it there.

OP
OP
hdvrod

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
From the responses above might be better to go for a small tabletop fridge as we don't need really the 12v option.Thoughts?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have tried something similar, but as others have said they are not really a fridge. I now have the Dometic 3 way fitted in the garage sharing the garage oven gas bottle, with a 12 volt and mains socket in there. The Dometic 3 way will freeze if turned right up on 12 volt, mains or gas. Its top loading, so easy to get at stuff. I use this as a beer fridge when parked up, and an extra freezer when leaving home. Keeps the van fridge free for foodstuffs and was one of the best aftermarket things I ever fitted.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I have tried something similar, but as others have said they are not really a fridge. I now have the Dometic 3 way fitted in the garage sharing the garage oven gas bottle, with a 12 volt and mains socket in there. The Dometic 3 way will freeze if turned right up on 12 volt, mains or gas. Its top loading, so easy to get at stuff. I use this as a beer fridge when parked up, and an extra freezer when leaving home. Keeps the van fridge free for foodstuffs and was one of the best aftermarket things I ever fitted.

Hi Dave don't suppose you have a link to the one you have as I keep looking at extra freezer capacity for extended trips. Plenty of room in the garage, looked at 12v ones but not really up to the job and apparently murder the batteries. It is freezer capacity I want not fridge.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Dave don't suppose you have a link to the one you have as I keep looking at extra freezer capacity for extended trips. Plenty of room in the garage, looked at 12v ones but not really up to the job and apparently murder the batteries. It is freezer capacity I want not fridge.

Its an old Dometic that I bought off ebay second hand. I bought it to save filling the van fridge up with beer. I never expected it to freeze but it does. Before leaving home I switch it on and freeze it down on mains, then when travelling switch it over to 12 volt. If wilding it runs on gas, but I leave the garage door on the first catch when on gas as am not sure about any fumes it may give off. As its a top loader it does not warm up when you open the lid. Its running on mains now and at half setting the beer is 4deg.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
One other thing to note with a cool box, they're good as a dehumidifier?? Because they cycle air all the time and are, relatively, cold inside, moisture condenses in them so they get rather wet.

I use ours as a drinks table between the front seats.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back