External Windscreen covers

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by tucker_j, Nov 1, 2009.

1. tucker_j

tucker_j Read Only Funster

Having spoken to a very nice couple in Dorset regarding external screen covers I have decided to get some for our van. Luckily we don't suffer from condensations (unlike the Swift we hired last year) but we would like better insulation and external light elimination as the cab curtains are not the best of fits.

My question is this, are the Silver Screen blinds the best or should I consider other makes? I would appreciate anyones experience of different covers re: the effectiveness, quality, size for storage etc.

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

all makes do the same job.....

external for winter...keeps heat in,

internals for summer....reflects suns heat. (and can cause condensation during the night)

3. gixermark

gixermark Read Only Funster

Buy one from : Silver Products ........ they are the same family ( the son ) who make Silver Screens using the same product etc in the same factory.

I ordered a set for our Fiat Ducato including the 'Day - Screen' ( read about it on there website, well worth the extra tenner! ) and postage ........ £80.00 !!!

Fit & quality is excellent ......... give em a go, you won't be dissapointed.:thumb:

4. bald eagle

bald eagle Read Only Funster

Hi tucker
    We use our silver screen all year round,we have had it for seven years
    and it is still working well:thumb:

regards
    bald eagle

5. carl65

carl65 Funster

had mine on this weekend silverscreen best thing i have bought in ages keeping the morning light out so kids sleep longer !!! go and get some.

6. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

External Windscreens

Hi,
    I chose the external Silver Screens and they are great. No condensation, very very light and easy to store away. Also, if you change them to fit another van, they will buy your old one back as they have a queue to people waiting to buy second hand.
    For the sake of a few pounds, if you buy these, they are highly recomended.

S.:thumb:

7. geoff1947

geoff1947 Read Only Funster

Screens

Got mine on Silver Screens. I bought the Para-Gon which has a velcro panel that can be turned down during the day to allow light in etc.

Cost about £120 but as I am in the van a lot in the winter it's money well spent There are cheaper creens out there so do your homework.:Eeek:

8. gixermark

gixermark Read Only Funster

As mentioned earlier, Silver Products are the same company as Silver Screens but a hell of a lot cheaper.

You have been advised peeps ......... :Blush:

9. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

My eldest daughter is quite an adept seamstress,in fact she assisted in the reupholstery of my Hymer and made a superb job. I am in the process of buying a new 'A' class, for which AFAIK, there doesn't exist a screen for it. Perhaps one of you kind souls may be able to advise me if and where I can purchase the material from to make one?:thumb:

10. bigfish

bigfish Read Only Funster

silver screens everytime for me, get the longer ones that go over the wipers and grill helps keep out draft, used in the summer to keep van cool, and darker inside for sleeping.:Cool:

11. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Must admit have always used Silver Screens on quite a few vans. The longest I used one set was for about 8 years, on changing the base vehicle let the screens go with the van, saw the van 2 years later on site still using them.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

12. twooks

twooks Read Only Funster

but if you use externals in summer you can leave cab windows open to help air circulate

'course, you're also more likely to get visits from the local wild-life :Doh: