External screens..... help please

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Chockswahay, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I am considering getting some but I must confess I am confused :confused:

Can anyone tell me please are Silverscreen, Tailor-made and Paragon three separate companies or is Paragon the same as Silverscreen?

With this in mind any comments on the practical use and efficiency of these type of screens would be much appreciated.

I confess to being quite sceptical about their effectiveness. We only use the Remis internal blinds that came on the van and we get a fair amount of condensation when the outside is cooler. I am not too worried about that but I do feel colder when sat in the passenger side swivel chair and my wife maintains that I am sat in the draught created by the 'cold' glass.

Do they really improve the warmth and comfort inside the van?

Any advice please? Thank you (y)

2. Printermick

Printermick Funster

We have a silver screen that came with our van, fits side windows and windscreen in one piece.
    We get no condensation when it is on, even in frost.

We would now not do without them, only take a few minutes to fit and put away now I am used to it.

3. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

Hi we have them, they came with the van. We use them more in the winter than the summer and they make a massive difference to the warmth of the van, also no condensation. They take no time to put on, but be aware they may have to be put away wet (in the bag) and are bulky to store, not a problem for us as we have a "wet" locker.

We don't use them when we wild camp.

Was surprised to see many vans with them on in the summer, all weekend with just the top rolled down in the day. I'm sure they help keep the van cooler but as a lover of sunshine I couldn't bare to be in a dark van.

Ours is in 3 sections but velcroed together.

• Like Like x 2
  4. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Silverscreens call their original model the 'Paragon'. http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/index.html
    Taylormade is a different company.
    We have Silverscreens on an A-class and would not be without them. Vital in winter to keep the large front screen free of condensation and the van warm. Also valuable in very hot sun to keep it cool.

5. SandJ

SandJ Read Only Funster

We have had both and found silver screen the best with the drop down front.

We have just changed back to an A class and will be selling our Silverscreens that fit the Ducato X250. We were going to wait till next season but would consider reasonable offers they are as new and 3 piece. Not cheap but good

6. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

I have both internal & external. The internal ones are good for wild camping as they can be removed without unlocking the doors however, they do not reduce condensation whatsoever. They are very popular in Europe. The external screens prevent almost all condensation and keep my van warmer in the winter. As has been said previously I wouldn't be without the external screens while in the UK.

7. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

There is a difference between silver Screens which can be anything silver that goes inside or outside windows and the product called silverscreen which.. along with Taylormade.. are probably the definitive external screen covers.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Viennese

Viennese Funster

I have Taylormade as they make a longer set which cover the ventilation holes on the bonnet, and believe me it's really worth having that!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I saw that..... why? do they stop the draught from coming through the vents?

10. Viennese

Viennese Funster

That's it!

11. Dogsense

Dogsense Funster

Got last week Silver Screen for Fiat Ducato (advertise on EBay but called them direct). that they rate second, can't find any fault, £30.00 cheaper them First.

12. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

Internal blinds for summer; silver screen for winter - SIMPLES!

• Like Like x 1
  13. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Regarding those longer Taylormade.. The only advantage I can see with them is that they protect the engine compartment from water entering... Which was one of the problems with the throttle body issue... ??
    But not re heat or insulation?

Regarding using silver reflective things on summer and thermal screens in winter.. Why not just use thermal screens all year round?

14. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I've been trying to call Silverscreen on and off today with no answer. Are they full time or is it a sideline? There isn't an email address on their website.

15. Badknee

Badknee Funster

We have just bought Taylor Made blinds, I called round at there workshop and saved a tenner postage :LOL:
    Very friendly, very good product. We got the extra long front to cover the air inlet to stop errrrrrrrrrrr, the air in letting :D

16. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

My experience is both companies are difficult to contact!

For silverscreens there is an email form on their website so I suggest trying that.

17. AuldCodger

AuldCodger Read Only Funster

Our Silver Screens are starting to get a bit past there best and we are considering a new set. On the continent this year saw many with screens that were whitish in colour and appeared to be quite a bit thinner than ours, anyone an idea as to what they might have been and are they recommended ?

18. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Really, Taylor Made carries his phone around with him as it rang while I was with him, very welcoming when I called round. Opened the cover and showed me it's features and tips on how to fit it easily.
    Top bloke.

• Like Like x 1
  19. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I can't find any email details or form on Silverscreens. Could you post a link please (y)

20. wingman

wingman Funster

I have Silverscreen. Great product. Use them all year round. Great in the winter and keeps hot sun at bay in sunnier climes. Had them on the previous van and bought some for the new one. Bit pricey, but well worth the money and you can instantly feel the quality.

Mine come in three pieces, so I can roll down the middle section if necessary. They can be fitted in minutes. I find it easier to use a folding hop-up to reach and align the top centre section with the Velcro of the side panels.

As a footnote, during the winter, I turn the cab heater vents to 'internal' which prevents a bit of the cold air getting in. Also draw the internal cab curtains.