External LED strip lights - more than just "pimping your ride"? (1 Viewer)

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
I saw a motorhome at a CCC site recently (Moffat, as it happens) with a string of blue LEDs all the way down the top of each side - on the outside. Whilst this looked very impressive at night (they were on whilst parked up) is there any practical reason for this that I've overlooked - the only thing I can think of is to help in finding your way back to it in the dark?

--Andrew

OP
OP
The Lobster

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
I would think it would attract the mozzies.

Good point - according to a popular search engine flies are three times more sensitive to blue light than yellow light.... last thing you'd want in Scotland, from my experience :( - unless they were actually part of a clever mozzie trap?

Upvote 0
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
I have mounted (stuck!) Two long strips of white LED's to the under edges of our awning. Powered from the supply to the external awning light it gives two close strips of lights when awning is wound in or when wound out it provided a whole lighting array over the entire awning area ( and beyond). I can alter the brightness of the output to suit the mood and use and can even have it all flashing or strobeing if I want to wake everyone up!!

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We too have a strip under the awning. Much better than the original light, remote controlled for when you get back in the dark and looks good. Not sure why you'd have them on both sides thougg

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We have a strip under the van to help illuminate the step and use LED strips around the inside of the van and a other outside for illumination. We can change the colour and brightness to give a bright working area or a chilled relaxed zone.

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I have lights on the front and back of mine and use them for driving at night, I even have them inspected and certified every year
Hows that for a light fetish;)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
you can take the showman out of the circus.... etc

That's what they remind me of.. a fairground .. vans tarted up like fairground rides.. complete with 9 mt flag pole with flashing LEDs ..

light pollution on sites has been hotly debated on several other forums..

some go away to escape the noise and bustle ... looking for a bit of peace and quiet ... others to have a party .. the two will never be compatible..

Fairy Lights are the new gennies ..

Upvote 0

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
they paid to have them,and so they use them,and why not,their van their lights

Upvote 0
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
We too have a strip under the awning. Much better than the original light, remote controlled for when you get back in the dark and looks good. Not sure why you'd have them on both sides thougg

Partly because I had a load left over and partly because when I first tried it out and opened the awning I thought it would look better with another strip on the opened end. Looks great and gives a very even light throughout the whole awning....

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
you can take the showman out of the circus.... etc

That's what they remind me of.. a fairground .. vans tarted up like fairground rides.. complete with 9 mt flag pole with flashing LEDs ..

light pollution on sites has been hotly debated on several other forums..

some go away to escape the noise and bustle ... looking for a bit of peace and quiet ... others to have a party .. the two will never be compatible..

Fairy Lights are the new gennies ..

We have LEDs but we turn them down when others are nearby unless there is light pollution from campsite lights etc. We don't have them shining towards other people and don't have a flag pole - if the campsite is already bright with lightss, I don't find them too intrusive but would be disappointed if I'd found a dark pitch to enjoy the stars and found my view interrupted by flashing lights.

Upvote 0

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i doubt the led's are the new gennys,never knew a led would make a racket when turned on.

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Sorry I thought the op was talking about a strip down the right and left side of the van

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You would never catch me fitting led lights to my bike....

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Upvote 0

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
we have blue leds on the front and the slide out, thinking of fitting them to the awning , but ones that change colour

Upvote 0

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
heres ours last year
044.jpg

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
You would never catch me fitting led lights to my bike....

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yeah right you've got more bloody lights than Blackpool Illuminations.
Only bloke I know has a leisure battery on his motorbike just for his led's:whistle2::whistle2:

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Come to the Bash and I will give you a personal viewing ( ooeeerrr missis ! )

And no ! Mine aint pink ( but I have fitted a few extra lights on since you saw it FB ! )

Upvote 0

tw1nklestar

Free Member
Sep 19, 2015
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Saw some really smart led lit flagpoles at Newark show and I think they belonged to people parked in the funster area. Just waiting for mine to arrive!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back