External insulated screen covers (1 Viewer)

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
One mans meat is another mans poison.
Covering the vents on our Fiat Auto-Trail makes a big difference with our Taylormade external cover.
Must say, I never thought of switching to recirculate though.
I'll have to go outside now and give it a try :thumb:.
Thanks for that tip ::bigsmile:

Well I guess Ducato cabs might vary a bit depending on what the motorhome manufacturer might do with them. I have played around with my Hobby/Ducato quite a bit (if in doubt I will fiddle :winky:) and with the heater on recirculate, covering those top vents made no difference. :Smile:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Is it insulated tho'? Looks kind of thin and blurb only mentions blocking out the sun; no mention of padding.

TBH I don't know. I did see a really thick version with a heavy PVC exterior that I would have considered leaving on the van while in storage but it was big and bulky and therefore difficult to store & transport (and over £200)

Our new van has concertina blinds in the cab so my thoughts are...

Cold night - use inside blinds and cover

Regular night - use outside cover

Warm day - use outside cover

Really hot day - use inside blinds and cover

When stored I'd tend to use the internal stick on blinds to stop UV fading and to limit wear on the concertina blinds.

I'm buying it via Argos as I have a few gift vouchers kicking around - if it's no good it'll go back. I'll update this in a day or two :thumb:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Covering the vents makes no difference to any draughts you might be getting in the cab. Make sure the heater is switched to 'recirculate' before parking up - that makes a big difference. I use a standard SilverScreen on my 2010 Ducato cab and it's a lovely snug fit. I only cover the vents when there's snow - and I just use magnetic vinyl cut to size which is cheap, easy and works a treat. :Smile:

I wasn't really thinking about draughts - with my old Silver Screen covers the windscreen wipers could only sit on top of the cover. In hot weather 35ºC or so they would virtually vulcanise themselves to the cover and ruin the blade :Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
External blinds do not stop condensation, they simply stop your screen from being the coldest thing in the van so the moister goes somewhere else. Our last two Hymers and present Pilote A Class all have rear bedrooms, [HI]vented properly we have never steamed up[/HI].

If we go off with no kids we always get steamed up :ROFLMAO:

I do not use front blinds ,just the curtains that came with the MH.

My front windows condensate up a bit ,i just chamois it off in the morning.

Maybe it is a good thing that the moisture hangs in the front windows not on the rear hab interior walls ect making damp mould.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I'm buying it via Argos as I have a few gift vouchers kicking around - if it's no good it'll go back. I'll update this in a day or two :thumb:

Well this is interesting. The cover is white and will match the paintwork well. The surface is textured but less grainy than a vinyl roof (remember them).

It has a thickness of 2 or 3 millimetres and a cotton twill is bonded to the back. I don't know how you would measure the insulation value as modern insulation materials can be quite thin. It packs to quite a small size yet is quite heavy.

I suspect this will be well suited to my needs i.e. reflecting sunlight and providing insulation in the summer as well as reducing condensation when used in the UK.

If your van is short on windows (mine isn't) you may want to stick with a screen cover that you can peel down during the day.

Hope this helps :thumb:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Has anyone any idea where I can an external silverscreen (set) for a 2008 VW Crafter
(sprinter ones for that year would probably be fine)

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
External screens tried both systems external come out best, brought mine from Taylor made for Hymer excellent quality.
Another tip is to wipe internal windows with washing up liquid, stops all the steaming up and condensation.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I made my own, bought the material from O'leary's and the thread from a company that made boat awnings (Cotton rots) I joined the side to the front with velcro, and used press studs to hold the sides to the RV. I cut windows in and used double sided tape to fit flexible plastic windows into them. (Same stuff you get for the hoods on convertibles) Cost around £150.

Ian

Attachments

• IMG_00000085.jpg
    IMG_00000085.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_00000038.jpg
    IMG_00000038.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 19

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!