External hinges on PVS and other vehicles. A wee guide. (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Anyone who has a PVC or a van with those cast external hinges beware !

These hinges can and often will corrode. They do not rust as such but they can corrode and in turn shed the paint off them. This will look unsightly !

In the business we have umpteen Transit vans. All of them have this type of hinge. Some of them have corroded and look awful. Some have not.

As some of you know our van is a PVC on the Peugeot Boxer which is the same as the Citroen and the Fiat. All share the same cast hinges.

On my van I have taken a very simple step to prevent the onset of corrosion. So simple its daft but hey thats a bonus !

I have quite simply taken a very soft small brush and painted the hinges with car wax. In my case Colinite. I brushed it on liberally and have left it . I will not polish or towel it just leave it alone. Because the surface of the hinges is not smooth its not visible so looks just fine.

I actually did my ones last year but when washing the van this morning saw how intact the wax remains and how it sheds water instantly.

A two minute job that might just save corrosion setting in and causing that unsightly appearance !

(y)(y)(y)

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Not wanting to hijack Charles post but whilst having a go at the hinges it would be a good idea to treat the mirror bolt that is just above the hinge (X250 and later) why on earth they don't fit a stainless bolt is beyond me

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
It's a torqxe drive bolt just above the top hinges on the inside of the door. I will take a photo the next time I am valeting a relevant van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back