Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Am thinking of having one fitted to Hymer, to reside inside chassis rails, freeing up existing gas locker..........any recommendations as to companys making/fitting these ?

Thanks

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Autogas 2000 at Thirsk are the most frequently recommended, or Dave Newel.
Wanted one but told max size on our Renault chassis is 25l so not worth it.
Still looking!

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Already one of these fitted to our 564 when we bought it, I think this may have been as standard on the this model as there is no cupboard to store a bottle.

wouldn't b without it but wherever you buy it from discuss what sort of filler valve you have.

Ours is a universal fitting using adaptors, lpg gun fittings are different in almost every country but there seems to be an upward trend in this country of filling stations displaying signs on LPG pumps saying you cannot fill using an adapter.

I am reliably informed it is to do with their insurance but if it becomes universal in the UK it could cause problems in the future.

Hymie.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm thinking along the op's lines about freeing up gas locker, what age and model Hymer.
Hymie, when you say "no adapters" cars with LPG conversions have to use adapters as they use the small square fitting which you have to screw adaptor into.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Hi Manic, went to fill up at the Sainsburys at Beckton on the A13, took cover off the filling rig and fitted the adaptor but the pump stayed dead.

tried several times refitting the gun, eventually went into the shop and was told that I could not use it as I was using an adaptor and their insurance did not cover them in case of accidental spill.

The next 3 I went in, around the Chelmsford area, all had signs on the pump.saying no adaptors.

Rightly or wrongly when I got to the next one I stopped just before it, took the cover off, fitted the adaptor then pulled in and filled up without a problem.

This will now be my normal procedure on future refills but that should be a while yet as 2 weeks touring across the pond means we still have 80% left.

Hymie.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Already one of these fitted to our 564 when we bought it, I think this may have been as standard on the this model as there is no cupboard to store a bottle.

wouldn't b without it but wherever you buy it from discuss what sort of filler valve you have.

Ours is a universal fitting using adaptors, lpg gun fittings are different in almost every country but there seems to be an upward trend in this country of filling stations displaying signs on LPG pumps saying you cannot fill using an adapter.

I am reliably informed it is to do with their insurance but if it becomes universal in the UK it could cause problems in the future.

Hymie.
The "prohibition" on using adapters is aimed at people filling standard locker based propane bottles not fixed tanks. So relax

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
The "prohibition" on using adapters is aimed at people filling standard locker based propane bottles not fixed tanks. So relax

Unfortunately the staff at the sites I visited did not appear to understand this as it was applied as a blanket ban on adaptors which the staff took to meaning all adaptors.

Maybe some staff retraining required?

Hymie.

OP
OP
Andy

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Thanks for replies, guys..........
Dazzlin, do you have contact details etc for Dave Newel ?
Hymie, mines a 644, on a citroen chassis, where on the chassis is your tank mounted ?
Like most of you I've also heard of the issues in trying to fill tanks, although most of them seem to relate to the re-fillable gaz bottles, and the internal (behind a flap) mounted fillers.

Again, thanks for the info. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back