External gas fill point for refillable system.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by stevec, Apr 6, 2016.

1. stevec

stevec Funster

I shall be fitting a refillable gas system sometime soon (not sure which one yet) and was wondering about which side to fit the refill point. Same side as gas locker or same side as deisel fill point. They are on opposite sides on my Burstner. I do have a suitable area of "skirt" below the gas locker to fit the refill point into. That's where I plan to put it anyway, but just wondered what other people's experience was.

Also, the skirt in question is aluminium and has a single bracing bracket. How heavy are the fill guns and will there be any problems with the fill point being so near the ground (probably about 12 -15 inches from). I intend to add another bracing bar.

With the above in mind is there a chance that there may be some offers on refillable systems at Peterborough? Anyone get theirs from a show at an attractive price?

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I've taken a couple of photos of our (Burstner t625 Harmony) gas locker and Alugas filler, installed in the locker wall, one with the locker door closed and one with it open. It's a comfortable height for using the gun, solid with no need for bracing, and no need to run long pipes to the bottles.
    Gas locker 1.jpg Gas locker 2.jpg

3. lorger

lorger Funster

Our last van it was the opposite side from the diesel filler this van it's the same, I would fit it on the side that's the easiest as unlikely you'll fill up at the same time .

• Like Like x 1
  4. Xabia

Xabia Funster

I fitted mine near the gas cupboard which just happens to be on the opposite side of the motorhome, didn't fancy a long pipe from the other side. No problems really, just filled at a Repsol station where the gas supply was on the opposite side so just moved over when diesel fill completed.

The guns are reasonably heavy so I fitted a bracing strap, using Sikaflexed. To the alloy side panel, it's as solid as a rock. The height you quote won't be a problem.

My system is Gaslow, easy to fit and excellent company to deal with.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  5. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Ours is the same... but gasit

6. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Where does that vent to Graham? in the event of a leak at the rear of the filler?
    Im sure you will have got it right and it's vented to the outside some how, just checking for you and yours safety(y)
    Geo

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

It's installed in the gas locker wall, Geo, so all the pipework is contained within the gas locker which was, of course, vented properly already.

The job was done by Dave Newell so it's right, alright (y)

• Like Like x 1
  8. kip

kip Funster

Ditto.

9. JJ

JJ Funster

Gas pump connector and hose are pretty heavy... My refilling points are fitted on sturdy parts of the vans.

JJ :cool:

10. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Thats ok Graham I was only thinking of your dear wife, you can blow thasen up whenever;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Ours is in the skirt near the gas locker.
    I made sure there was a bracing strut near the ext filler.

12. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Ours is in the door!! Which isn't ideal, I didn't do it so take no blame. The problem is/was that it was piped with the gaslow stainless steel flexi pipe and repeated opening and closing of the gas locker door fractured the pipe and the first time we attempted to fill it up we ended up with a puddle of liquid gas under the van. Looking on the bright side it tested the sealing/venting of the gas locker and it passed.

It now has a proper flexi pipe on(y)

Martin

13. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Definitely better on fuel fill side. I most often use ASDA who are cheapest on both so fill both up in one go.
    Skirt is not a problem, mine is plastic
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  14. campa cola

campa cola Funster

I used one in France today, very heavy, especially if the pipework from the pump is being supported by the inlet as well. If you put it in thin ally without bracing you may need some one to support the filler. Make sure they wear thick gloves just in case!

15. Camdoon

Camdoon Funster Life Member

Filled up in Spain today for the first time and also filled with fuel at the same time for the first time in 3 years so would go for easiest side for fitting. Never used a UK site for both fuels at the same time as lpg providers are not the cheapest diesel providers near us.

16. My Dog Likes Fishing

My Dog Likes Fishing Funster Life Member

Ours is fitted in the gas locker door.

17. RichardB

RichardB Funster

Mine is fitted inside the gas locker but would like to move it to outside - has anyone got one fitted to an Elddis Autoquest? I don't know where it can go as there doesn't appear to be anywhere strong enough to hold it and the pump...