External gas fill point for refillable system. (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I shall be fitting a refillable gas system sometime soon (not sure which one yet) and was wondering about which side to fit the refill point. Same side as gas locker or same side as deisel fill point. They are on opposite sides on my Burstner. I do have a suitable area of "skirt" below the gas locker to fit the refill point into. That's where I plan to put it anyway, but just wondered what other people's experience was.

Also, the skirt in question is aluminium and has a single bracing bracket. How heavy are the fill guns and will there be any problems with the fill point being so near the ground (probably about 12 -15 inches from). I intend to add another bracing bar.

With the above in mind is there a chance that there may be some offers on refillable systems at Peterborough? Anyone get theirs from a show at an attractive price?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've taken a couple of photos of our (Burstner t625 Harmony) gas locker and Alugas filler, installed in the locker wall, one with the locker door closed and one with it open. It's a comfortable height for using the gun, solid with no need for bracing, and no need to run long pipes to the bottles.
Gas locker 1.jpg Gas locker 2.jpg

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Our last van it was the opposite side from the diesel filler this van it's the same, I would fit it on the side that's the easiest as unlikely you'll fill up at the same time .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: kip

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I fitted mine near the gas cupboard which just happens to be on the opposite side of the motorhome, didn't fancy a long pipe from the other side. No problems really, just filled at a Repsol station where the gas supply was on the opposite side so just moved over when diesel fill completed.

The guns are reasonably heavy so I fitted a bracing strap, using Sikaflexed. To the alloy side panel, it's as solid as a rock. The height you quote won't be a problem.

My system is Gaslow, easy to fit and excellent company to deal with.

Mike

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I fitted mine near the gas cupboard which just happens to be on the opposite side of the motorhome, didn't fancy a long pipe from the other side. No problems really, just filled at a Repsol station where the gas supply was on the opposite side so just moved over when diesel fill completed.

The guns are reasonably heavy so I fitted a bracing strap, using Sikaflexed. To the alloy side panel, it's as solid as a rock. The height you quote won't be a problem.

My system is Gaslow, easy to fit and excellent company to deal with.

Mike
Ours is the same... but gasit

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I've taken a couple of photos of our (Burstner t625 Harmony) gas locker and Alugas filler, installed in the locker wall, one with the locker door closed and one with it open. It's a comfortable height for using the gun, solid with no need for bracing, and no need to run long pipes to the bottles.
View attachment 99934 View attachment 99935
Where does that vent to Graham? in the event of a leak at the rear of the filler?
Im sure you will have got it right and it's vented to the outside some how, just checking for you and yours safety(y)
Geo

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Where does that vent to Graham? in the event of a leak at the rear of the filler?
Im sure you will have got it right and it's vented to the outside some how, just checking for you and yours safety(y)
Geo
It's installed in the gas locker wall, Geo, so all the pipework is contained within the gas locker which was, of course, vented properly already.

The job was done by Dave Newell so it's right, alright (y)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Gas pump connector and hose are pretty heavy... My refilling points are fitted on sturdy parts of the vans.

JJ :cool:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It's installed in the gas locker wall, Geo, so all the pipework is contained within the gas locker which was, of course, vented properly already.

The job was done by Dave Newell so it's right, alright (y)
Thats ok Graham I was only thinking of your dear wife, you can blow thasen up whenever;)

Reactions: J H

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Ours is in the door!! Which isn't ideal, I didn't do it so take no blame. The problem is/was that it was piped with the gaslow stainless steel flexi pipe and repeated opening and closing of the gas locker door fractured the pipe and the first time we attempted to fill it up we ended up with a puddle of liquid gas under the van. Looking on the bright side it tested the sealing/venting of the gas locker and it passed.

It now has a proper flexi pipe on(y)

Martin

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I used one in France today, very heavy, especially if the pipework from the pump is being supported by the inlet as well. If you put it in thin ally without bracing you may need some one to support the filler. Make sure they wear thick gloves just in case!

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Filled up in Spain today for the first time and also filled with fuel at the same time for the first time in 3 years so would go for easiest side for fitting. Never used a UK site for both fuels at the same time as lpg providers are not the cheapest diesel providers near us.

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
Mine is fitted inside the gas locker but would like to move it to outside - has anyone got one fitted to an Elddis Autoquest? I don't know where it can go as there doesn't appear to be anywhere strong enough to hold it and the pump...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back