Exterior PowerPoint

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Vlad The Impaler, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Seeing as my van is parked at the side of the house I think it's about time I fitted an external power point.The plan is to put one of the tube style heaters in on a timer when we get cold spells.
    Are these the kind of things I need?

http://leisurekings.co.uk/Electrical/?gclid=CKH_4bqb2LMCFcbLtAodE3kAsQ

Under the section mains connectors I assume ill need the waterproof socket,is it the waterproof connector or coupler that goes into it?
    Thanks Vlad .

2. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Yes that's what I would get and I think its the waterproof connecter you need:thumb: all seems pretty cheap as well:Wink:

3. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

its the socet you need, then make up a short lead to power the van:thumb:

4. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

6. peter marshall

peter marshall

And us , we just plug our lead in an adaptor and plug in the garage, my mate has a fixing outside to do the same. Pete

7. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

I used an outdoor waterproof socket, handy for other outdoor stuff too. If you have a 13amp socket indoors near enough in the right place you could take a feed off it through the wall.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Initially I installed an outdoor waterproof socket similar to the one Rob shows but then found that the connection on the short adapter lead to the main EHU lead wasn't waterproof. As a result I then fitted a commando socket similar to the one mentioned in the OP and that works fine with the EHU lead plugged directly into it.

By coincidence, Aldi have a double socket as one of their specials at the moment.

Whichever you do make sure it is protected by an RCD. I think that legislation now requires any permanent installation to be fitted by a qualified electrician - which is why the Aldi (and similar) kits come with a plug-in RCD so that an amateur can fit the socket and then plug into an existing internal socket.

9. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

This is the one on that site, but needs the special waterproof plug to go with it. If you have to make up a special lead anyway it would be better to put in an ordinary 3 pin waterproof socket which you can then use for lawn mower/pressure washer/ whathaveyou as well.:thumb:

http://leisurekings.co.uk/WATERPROOF-SOCKET.html

• Like Like x 1
  10. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Thanks for the advice thus far,I had looked at the waterproof 3pin sockets but when the plug is in the waterproof flap is up ,this is ok for short jobs in the garden but not suited to long term usage,or is it?
    Assuming we get a prolonged cold snap I would have the van plugged in for possibly a week or more,so would want a watertight connection.At the moment I run a lead from the outside store round the house over the fence to van just want to a more suited fix.

11. Terry

Terry Funster

We have a water feature plugged into just such a socket, been working for about 7 years without problems :BigGrin:
    The van is plugged into a normal 240 v plug in the garage via the eBay type lead :Wink:
    Terry

12. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

13. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

presumably you mean this one

[​IMG]

thats all you need outdoors but put a little silicon mastic around the socket when you fix it to the wall, just plug in your normal hookup lead or make up a short version of the same lead.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  14. pappajohn

think about your normal van hookup point, that may be connected for a week or even more in all weathers.

the 'sleeve within a sleeve' design of the plug and socket makes it very weatherproof when in use.

15. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Yes pappa join I realise that,it's the traditional plug socket my doubts are with.You don't see many of them at campsites.When I said 3pin I was referring to the traditional waterproof socket mentioned by others.

16. pappajohn

My mistake.....I assumed you meant the 'blue' plug type sockets.

look on ebay etc for IP66 rated outdoor sockets.

IP66 is dust and powerful water-jet proof and will be more waterproof than you'll ever need at home whether in use or not.

they generally use a standard 3 pin plug and the enclosure and lid is the waterproof part

17. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Hi Pappajohn just looked at an Ip66 unit and I can see it being dust and water jet proof whilst flap is closed,however when in use flap is up therefore connection vulnerable .Good for short term use whilst dry not well suited for leaving van on hookup in all weathers.

18. pappajohn

You misunderstand.

the lid is closed at all time except when actually plugging in or unplugging.

the plug flex protrudes from the small hole at the bottom of the casing, which has a rubber seal, and the cover closes over the plug to ensure a water tight seal all round.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Thanks for clearing that one up for me I see how it works now .I can see the advantage of buying one with an rcd ,drilling a hole through the wall and plugging into an existing socket .

20. pappajohn

your existing house ring main will probably be protected by an RCD device anyway...simple to check, if the fuse box has 'push to test' type breakers or an RCD main switch.....if it does then no need to buy an RCD version.

if it has MCB (non testable) trips or fusewire type fuses (how old ? :Eeek:) and a basic on/off main switch then buy an RCD version.