Exterior 12v Cable To Run Under The Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
Hi all

Inspired by various posts on here, I have been out modifying the electrics in the MH cab today. So far I have added an additional ignition switched socket for my new camera (Thanks Jaws) and a new permanently live socket for a USB socket (without an LED because they annoy me!)

Having found the confidence to "modify" things in the new MH, I want to tackle the next alteration which is to add an ignition switched circuit with a buzzer to warn me when the van’s rear step is out and I turn on the ignition. The step has the switch on it but it is not wired up.

The biggest problem I thought I would have was finding and getting an ignition switched circuit from the front fuse box and finding a way out and underneath to the actual step. MH is an Elddis Autoquest 100 on a 2012 reg Peugeot Boxer.

In the process of dong todays wiring jobs, I have found a relatively simple way of getting a circuit out of the van - basically taking a ignition positive feed from the cig lighter fuse running it round the cab with a 12v buzzer in line, taking the wire down and into the van battery under floor compartment and from there there is already a couple of spare holes which I can use to feed out under the van. The the plan is to run the wire the length of the van and fix to the step wiring.

This would get the single positive to the step - the negative from the step switch is already bolted directly to the van chassis so this should work with my single cable for the positive feed and the negative via the van earth.

Presuming that will work, I need to get some appropriate wire that I can tie-wrap to the underside of the van - question is - what wire should I use - I’ve got a big coil of 17 amp rated wire that I could use but should it be put into a protective sleeve or is there proper exterior cable that would be better?

Any advice appreciated
Richard

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi Richard, that wire is more than enough for what you propose .. if its what you have would save you buying lighter cable which would also do.
you might be able to feed it down the main box sections , that way you would only need to protect each end with tape or you can get the helical coiled plastic strip to cover the wire where you feel it necessary.. I had a quick look and ill try and post a link to what im on about.Broken Link Removed
comes with a tool for feeding the wire into it.
ive run wire in the same fashion without doing more than taping it at intervals and cable tie up out of the way with no other protection , but depends on circumstances and location to possible damage from heat or impact
ta andy

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cable ties at regular intervals....anywhere it could hang down or snag simple add more ties, closer together, to keep it attached.

If it fused, which it should be, then any unexpected damage will just pop the fuse.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
I used corrugated split conduit to run a cable line under the vehicle for a reversing camera which I think is far better and similar to that used in the factory. It was easy then to secure it with p clips and cable ties as appropriate.Your local motor factor should have some of different thicknesses.
Broken Link Removed

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I used corrugated split conduit to run a cable line under the vehicle for a reversing camera which I think is far better and similar to that used in the factory. It was easy then to secure it with p clips and cable ties as appropriate.Your local motor factor should have some of different thicknesses.
Broken Link Removed
Excellent stuff & available off eBay very cheaply. It's used on many cars and some MHs. Search for flexible conduit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back