Extended Warranty? (1 Viewer)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Picking up our new (to us) motorhome tomorrow. It comes with a 12 month warranty from the dealer and they have quoted us £495 extend it to 2 years, which I think is a bit of a rip off. Would it be better (cheaper) to get a 12 month extension to the dealers warranty from another company or if we wish to have 2 years cover do we have to extend the dealers original warranty. Hope this makes sense.
Thanks.

Reactions: CWH
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would say a second year dealer warranty may not be your best option, it presumes you keep the motorhome and like the dealer enough to keep going back there

Money wise, I have paid more than that for a car per year, but that was manufacturers warranty, which I see as better, might be misguided though

£500 would pay for quite a bit of work, but then when you consider it presumably covers the chassis and habitation there is a lot of kit that might pack up

For me I would see how it goes, I would be surprised if that £500 price is not still available at any point during the coming 12 months, it might even go down

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Extended warranties are usually insurance backed and often have lots of exclusions & get out clauses, if you are thinking of taking it, do a lot of research on the company behind it first. If the vehicle is a few years old they will use the "Fair wear & tear" clause as a get out for most claims. Any major claim on the drive drain they will want service evidence & proof that manufacturers parts or equivalent quality parts have been used for service & maintenance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We got one with our SH MH and while we haven't broken even, we have had a number of repairs etc. that were covered by it. The downside though is having have their annual service which is not only more expensive than I could get locally but is also at their depot which is over an hour's drive away - the cost in fuel adds up.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
W A R N I N G
Be totally sure to read EVERY bit of the small print as they don't like to pay out. The last time I had a purchased warranty it was a nightmare. At the time I had an Autocruise Gleneagle. The Alde heating began to leak at a joint which wasn't accessable so a lot of work to gain access. The part was £1.75 which they agreed to pay for but the labour was nearly £5000. The dealer eventually had to settle this. The next claim was for the same vehicle but the habitation door rotted after 15 months. They would only pay for the new hinges and not for the £2300 door. There answer was rot isn't covered under there policy. To be honest not much was covered and a waste of my £425. The dealer I must say was very good and just kept paying up everytime a claim was made.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Insurance backed warranties are not worth the paper they are printed on, they should be outlawed. All they are is a smoke screen. If dealers are worth their salt they should offer unconditional in house warranties.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I had a warranty on my car and was annoyed to discover (after failing to read the small print) that it covered repairs but not finding out what was wrong. They therefore charged me a couple of hours to strip something down only to decide that the fault wasn't there: a slight argument ensued BUT they had charged my credit card with their estimated costs before agreeing to commence work.

BEWARE - Gordon

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
What company is the warranty with?

We claimed on our insurance warranty provided in the price we paid to the dealer for the second six months after we bought our van and they paid up no problem.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Picking up our new (to us) motorhome tomorrow. It comes with a 12 month warranty from the dealer and they have quoted us £495 extend it to 2 years, which I think is a bit of a rip off. Would it be better (cheaper) to get a 12 month extension to the dealers warranty from another company or if we wish to have 2 years cover do we have to extend the dealers original warranty. Hope this makes sense.
Thanks.

Hi
I bought my MH from Oak Tree Motorhomes and collected it in January.
I negotiated on the price and was offered one price for cash and another price which was £500 extra to include their warranty and a PDI service and habitation check.
I decided to opt for the inclusive of warranty and hab check.
Then, day of collection, I was taken in the office to pay and was offered an upsell to their premier/platinum what ever they called it warranty.
I thought my £500 was the warranty.
It was explained that they do different tiers of warranty at different rates covering different levels. The free one advertised is the nog standard which doesn't cover a great deal compared with the other levels.
Although I ended up taking the upsell to get the full warranty (after all, this was the only reason for buying from a dealer to have peace of mind and no hassle ha ha ha not) this took the shine off my new purchase.

From reading reviews afterwards, it seems that this is common practice - much to the disappointment of all who supplied the reviews.
My warranty is with the RAC.
I have to ensure its serviced, MOT and hab check annually to keep the warranty valid.

Knowing what I know now, I would suggest comparing the upsell cost to what warranty you could buy online and decide from there.

The dealer doesn't tell you all of this - However, it looks good on the advert.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
With our insurance warranty we also have to have an annual habitation service and vehicle service and be able to provide evidence that it has been done.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We bought our MH new and went for the extended 3 year warranty.

It saved us a huge amount of money when the roof started leaking after the initial 12 month warranty had expired. In fact the warranty company had paid out so much they refused to extend it further when three years was up. We also got a wheel bearing replaced under warranty after it failed way too soon.

However, our particular model had a known design fault in the roof and was subject to a factory recall, so we got lucky on that occasion. Normally I won't consider taking them out on household appliances, but a MH is a big outlay, so a few extra hundred is only a small percentage of that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back