Free Member
Feb 7, 2011
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Does anyone have any tips on exporting to Sweden? I'm Swedish and have lived in the UK for 14 years, but am now moving back. Long story, but I have a poorly cat who can't go on flights, so will need to drive there. I will be buying a motorhome in the UK for this journey (as the cat can't sit caged the entire journey anyway, a LHD, and sell it straight away in Sweden.

Does anyone know if there's a difference in price between campervans in the UK and in Sweden? I've tried to look but can never find one that is of the same spec which makes it hard to compare...

Also, are there any networks where you can contact people interested in importing from the UK so that I can line up a buyer before I start?

I have already looked at one way rentals but that doesn't seem to exist. It's a huge amount of money in question so want to do my research!

(FYI, I would obviously create a partition between the cab and the living area so the cat can't get there.)

MANY THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!! :)

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Does anyone have any tips on exporting to Sweden? I'm Swedish and have lived in the UK for 14 years, but am now moving back. Long story, but I have a poorly cat who can't go on flights, so will need to drive there. I will be buying a motorhome in the UK for this journey (as the cat can't sit caged the entire journey anyway, a LHD, and sell it straight away in Sweden.

Does anyone know if there's a difference in price between campervans in the UK and in Sweden? I've tried to look but can never find one that is of the same spec which makes it hard to compare...

Also, are there any networks where you can contact people interested in importing from the UK so that I can line up a buyer before I start?

I have already looked at one way rentals but that doesn't seem to exist. It's a huge amount of money in question so want to do my research!

(FYI, I would obviously create a partition between the cab and the living area so the cat can't get there.)

MANY THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!! :)

As you are Swedish I would have thought the most logical way to proceed is by asking these questions on an equivalent Swedish motorhome forum. You have the best qualification of any of us to do that! :Cool: I've never been to Sweden but several of my motorhoming friends have and tell me that the most prelevant make seems to be Dethleff, and there are many of those for sale in the UK. You say you haven't bought one yet but you also say you can't find one of the same spec to compare. What spec's that, then?

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
As you are Swedish I would have thought the most logical way to proceed is by asking these questions on an equivalent Swedish motorhome forum. You have the best qualification of any of us to do that! :Cool: I've never been to Sweden but several of my motorhoming friends have and tell me that the most prelevant make seems to be Dethleff, and there are many of those for sale in the UK. You say you haven't bought one yet but you also say you can't find one of the same spec to compare. What spec's that, then?

'prelevant' ? That should be prevalent, of course ! :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I have just sold and shipped a motorbike to Switzerland. It was a US import but built to UK specs..

Other than sending off the green part of the Log Book (Permanent Export) all I had to do was send the DVLA a letter stating the day it would be taken out of the UK.. and that was it...

The only other thing was I had to get the buyer a C.O.C (Certificate of Conformity) but not sure if this is just a Swiss thing..

The buyer has got the expense of getting the Headlight Beam and a couple of other things done, but that is down to him..

I should imagine it is a similar scenario with a M.H.... and would think you will look for a left hooker..

I`m sure one of our friendly Dealer Members will be able to throw more light on the subject.. :thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Not had any experience of Sweden, sent new ones to New Zealand, India, Ireland without any problems.

Australia is horrendious with all the regulations.

Suggest you get in contact with the Swedish Embassy.

Peter

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
To permanently export a UK vehicle to France, you defo need a CoC so I imagine it's normal wherever you export to. This may be more difficult with older vehicles though not with new ones. Anyway if it's 2nd hand you'd potentially have difficulty if the original mfr had gone out of business.

Or at least - it used to cause probs with older cars as normally the mfr provides them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
:Eeek:how bigs the cat.

Why not buy a estate car/people carrier

or fly out hire something drive back to uk. drive back

or send cat by animal couriour ( I used to do this with geckos, but not to sweden)

to buy a motorhome for one trips seems a little ott, its gonna cost mega money there must be a better way

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Don't know what part of Sweden we're talking, it's a big country, but why not take Danish Seaways one way Harwich to Esbjerg (18 hours overnight) and drive across Denmark into Sweden at Malmo, 4 hours. If you don't go in your own vehicle (you would still have import duty etc. to think about) you could probably hire a one way car rental at Esbjerg. Just a thought! :Smile:

Don't forget you need six months or so if your cat doesn't already have a pet passport.

Here

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back