Exporting to Oz and NZ & touring there for a year

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Cossieg, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Cossieg

Cossieg Funster

We've wintered over on the Algarve for a few years and was thinking of going further afield! I think someone on here chatted about exporting a Motorhome to NZ and selling it on completion of touring? I was thinking about exporting a Motorhome to Oz, tour there for a year then move the van to NZ and then tour there for a year. Can anyone help with advice and links to websites etc that might help? Cheers

2. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

I can't, but sounds brilliant! Hope you do it....then come back and advise the rest of us!

3. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Ditto to the above..

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Not cheap....i found this on the pistonheads website from 2008......all figures are australian dollars.

It will also need thoroughly cleaning inside and steam cleaning outside to pass their strict regulations on desease.

5. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Might be cheaper to sell here and buy there

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil Read Only Funster

Prices for motorhomes are more expensive in New zealand, Shipping to Australia will cost a lot, but shipping frm Australia to New Zealand is expensive too.
    Dont forget you will have to pay some sort of customs on it too if you sell it.

7. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

No way would you get it shipped for a reasonable amount, as the prices mentions are for a container and no MH will fit in one of those RORO ships tend to go the Australia from Japan. not he UK. unless carrying special cargos JCB. Rolls Royce, Bentleys etc and you would require a special high place to get a van in unless there was room with the JCB.

8. martin2603

martin2603 Funster

Hoegh Autoliners, and Walleinius Willhelmson ship to OZ and NZ, from Southampton, Prices are set on a cube rate, there is a standard insurance included in the price but it would not reflect the market value of the vehicle. This would be a separate premium. Duty is usually
    set on a sliding scale according to age and declared value. I you need further info I can speak to our agents in the port.
    There are many new and used Motorhomes shipped out this way.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

As I looked into this it was about £4000 each way.
    Most cost effective way may be to buy a car and small caravan and sell at the end. You could buy a camper there, but they are very expensive.

10. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi you could always try asking David Elliott from WELLHOUSE Leisure how you would do it -They export to down under -think they have family there -Now as to IF he would be willing to give advice etc is perhaps another matter :Dyou could always go and look at there vans etc then try picking his brain -who knows he may sell you a van down there :D
    terry

11. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Conversations I have had in the past about this..
    FORGET AUSTRALIA.. There are that many hoops to get through even the NZ lot dont bother to get their over there..

I have lost the lick but out there somewhere on the net are a few blogs and stories of people who have done it.
    Taken van to NZ and sold at the end of the trip, usually covers the original price of the van and shipping costs..
    However can imagine it's also easy to become unstuck if you have a van nobody likes...

12. Soaringman

Soaringman Funster

Well to rent a decent van in NZ is over £100 per day which is about £36,500 for the year using my simple maths. The vans in NZ are not up to the quality of a German MH, and I think it would be worth taking a quality MH over there and selling it for a good price. Just my opinion. I love NZ and hadn't thought of what you are planning. Would like to hear how you get on
    Coops

13. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

Funny enough I have just had a quote of £50039 for a one way trip to Auckland in December, this is on a roll on roll off ferry,

Motorhome too big for a container, but on top of that there additional port charges on arrival and import duties to pay,
    Believe it or not if I was going for more than three months then it would be cheaper than hiring a basic 4 berth MH out there,

14. richr

richr Funster

That is 50k and not a typo :eek:

15. Movinon

Movinon Funster

You could ship a van to Australia but you would most probably be required to export it again within a year. Selling it there is not on. Anyway import duties could be 50% of the total imported price including costs assuming you were allowed to do it, which as a non-resident is unlikely. A word of warning if you take a vehicle to Oz - breakdown cover there similar to the RAC or AA may be very limited in terms of the distance they will come out to you if you do not hold an Australian licence. Possibly only 10k which in Oz is just around the corner. If you are not a resident you may not be able to get an Australian driving licence, or insurance. Possibly this would depend on the state of entry.

16. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

PM to The Wizened of Oz (Tom & Sue):):D

might help sort some of the detail.
    They came over a short while ago to buy one,
    but it was a complex job by all accounts:(

17. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

If you've got a year why not go overland?

18. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

19. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I don't know how up to date this is, the exchange rates quoted suggest it is a few years ago, but it describes shipping a small campervan to Australia and back.
    However, from my brief reading he avoided taxes by being out of the EU for 12 months before shipping the vehicle so this wouldn't suit everyone.
    http://vwkombi.com/shipping-kombi-to-uk.html

20. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

There are many Companies in OZ that will sell and buy back MHs for trips there. I don't know about quality or costs though but it could be cheaper in the long run.

Another option is to van swap with NZ/OZ like minded people.

• Like Like x 2