D magic

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Good evening, being new to MHF please bear with me and my preamble.
I have been reading with interest about motorhomes that have lights that seem, for no reason whatsoever , to shatter, crack or even explode. I have a Dethleffs A class, two Years old, now about to be on its third nearside front light, Papa John, if you are reading this, you have more experience than I and may have some suggestions. Is this a German MH fault, reading today, Hymers have the same problem, a Funster that posted yesterday has the problem with a Dethleffs A Class. Surely it is time for a call to arms and say.
ENOUGH IS ENOUGHhow many more motor homers are going to have to fork out huge sums of money for faulty lights? Collectively, we may be able to make manufacturers listen to the issues surrounding this problem and right the wrongs, that being denial!
Anybody with the same could post back and maybe some one could suggest how we start an action group against faulty lights. Could go on for ages about this, but won't

Told you to bear with me, apologies, end of rant, just really annoyed
:Sad:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Could not agree more, the replacement cost is massive, Fiats are bad enough but they don't seem to suffer with explosions

Peter

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
with the huge premium demanded for these lights, I am amazed that nobody has either found an equivalent light or a plastic moulder who can create a pattern part. All headlights these days seem to be made from ABS and are just an injection mouled part costing pennies to make. the bulb and bulb holder is a standard part they just screw to the back

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

D magic

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Clarification

Many thanks for your support Peter, "explosion" was a bit tongue in cheek as so to speak, just trying to get peoples attention

cheers
Chris:thumb:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I have a 2007 Hymer B544SL and fitted some protective film manufactured by Lamin-X early one in it's life. Now done 28,000 miles and no problems with the headlights. Hope I don't live to regret this post on my return trip from Spain this weekend.:Sad:

Mike

OP
OP
D

D magic

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hmmm

interestingly enough, these lights are glass, sealed unit of course, no break down components etc. My point I am trying to make was, they are breaking at a rate of knots, for no rhyme nor reason. I would gladly put a protector on the lights, that said, from what I have seen posted, the lights would still crack. Tricky one, I think there is movement causing the light to go under duress.

OP
OP
D

D magic

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
thanks

Thanks Mike, thats worth a try, where did you get this stuff from?

Chris

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Hi Chris,

Have a look at http://www.lamin-x.com/.

I phoned them initially and found them very helpful. The film is supplied in sheets so you need to measure your headlight glass to make sure you order a piece large enough to cover the totallity of the glass. Trim it roughly and then wet the glass, apply the film and smooth out any air bubbles. Finally carefully trim the edges with a Stanley knife and you will find it difficult to see that a film has been applied.

Sounds strange that it only needs water to get the film to adhere but mine is still firmly fixed after 5 years.

Hope it works for you.

Mike
Mike

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I have used this film on Land Rover discovery 300 tdi headlamps that have had cracks and stone chips in them and they have gone on for years never a problem with loss of light or MOT's

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Look in the hymer international club website. They say that the bulbs are too hot, so reduce the 21 watt bulb to a great12 watt one. Look under the tips section.

S:Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back