Explanation of vehicle weights. (1 Viewer)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hi
Been reading up on, and trying to understand, the legalities of vehicle weights.

If the description of a motorhome says: Gross Vehicle Weight:3,000 kg does this mean the empty vehicle weighs 3000kg ?
How do I know how much I can put in it to remain legal?

Many thanks for explanation and any advice on what to look for on the vehicle.

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
weight a minute!

Hello,
Gross means total weight of vehicle including load...

If there is no 'tare' weight then you will need to put the m/h over a weigh bridge, then deduct one from the other to give you the amount in weight that you will be allowed to carry.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Thanks but what is 'tare' weight?

If it says 3500kgs then I load up, get the vehicle weighed and it must not exceed 3500kg?

Sorry to sound dim, OH was the mechanical/technical one and floundering a bit on my own

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
Thanks but what is 'tare' weight?

If it says 3500kgs then I load up, get the vehicle weighed and it must not exceed 3500kg?

Sorry to sound dim, OH was the mechanical/technical one and floundering a bit on my own

There will be a plate on the vehicle which should show tare weight and gross weight....
The gross weight is, as you say, the max the vehicle can weigh after it is fully loaded with fuel, water and your belongings.......

Tare weight is what the vehicle will weigh when you first buy it with absolutely nothing in/on it at all.

Upvote 0

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Upmarket hippy is right.

Motorhomes come out of the conversion process with a Mass in Running Order. This figure is the weight of the vehicle with fuel, etc. and a driver. The figure is usually stated in the Handbook from the converter (not the base vehicle maker) or on a certificate.
Somewhere near the habitation door (inside or outside) you will see a plate about 5 cms by 8 cms with a series of numbers stamped on it

The upper number will be the Gross Vehicle Weight in Kg. This is the maximum weight your vehicle can be on the road.
The next number is the Gross Train Weight in Kg. This is the maximum weight of your vehicle plus any trailer (with its load).
Under that will be 1. The maximum weight on the front axle in Kg.
Then underneath that 2. The maximum weight on the rear axle.

It follows that the weight of the Mass in Running Order subtracted from the Gross Vehicle Weight will give you the weight of what you can put in it. This includes passengers, pets, kids, food, water, bedding, satellite TV system, crockery, kitchenware, computers, camping equipment, chairs and loungers and will also inlude any extra fitting to the vehicle such as wind-out awning, bike rack, etc.

So it pays to weigh all your stuff (and make a list of how much each weighs) and when you think you're about right, load it into the camper and take it to a weighbridge. Do a total and then a front axle only and a rear axle only (these last two weights won't be exact but close enough to give you a good idea). Don't forget to add the weight of your passenger that is in the office talking to the operator (in our case the wife).

Straightforward really, but mind boggling if you don't understand the jargon.

Hope this all helps to clear it up a bit.

John

Upvote 0

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
The Gross Vehicle Weight rating (GVWR) is the maximum weight that the vehicle can be no matter what is on it, in it etc.

So if you weigh it on a weighbridge remember that if you may sometimes carry a dog, a bike, loaf of bread, full water tank, extra pair of wellies, full fuel tank, and don't forget you...then theses need to be in it when you weigh it to get your an idea of how heavy you will really be.

If this is a vehicle you are thinking of buying then ask them for ALL the weights (unladen wight and GVWR are the best) then publish them on here. We'll be able to help further then :Smile:

Upvote 0

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
The Gross Vehicle Weight rating (GVWR) is the maximum weight that the vehicle can be no matter what is on it, in it etc.

So if you weigh it on a weighbridge remember that if you may sometimes carry a dog, a bike, loaf of bread, full water tank, extra pair of wellies, full fuel tank, and don't forget you...then theses need to be in it when you weigh it to get your an idea of how heavy you will really be.

If this is a vehicle you are thinking of buying then ask them for ALL the weights (unladen wight and GVWR are the best) then publish them on here. We'll be able to help further then :Smile:

"But Officer, I was sure I had enough capacity for that extra loaf of bread - it looked so yummy in the bakery." ::bigsmile:

Thanks Bryan. Good idea about putting the info up here. At least we think we know what we're talking about:winky:.

John

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Don't forget the axle weights!

The total maximum weights of the from and rear axles always exceeds the maximum weight

so

1. You must not exceed the maximum weight
2. You must not exceed the maximum weight on either of the axles.

With a MH that has a high over hang a heavy weight at the rear (such as a motor bike on the rear) the rear axle weight can increase by more than 1.5 times the weight iof the bike and the front axle can decrease by more than 0.5 times the weight of the bike.

So take care with the rear axle loading.

Upvote 0

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Don't forget the axle weights!

The total maximum weights of the from and rear axles always exceeds the maximum weight

so

1. You must not exceed the maximum weight
2. You must not exceed the maximum weight on either of the axles.

With a MH that has a high over hang a heavy weight at the rear (such as a motor bike on the rear) the rear axle weight can increase by more than 1.5 times the weight iof the bike and the front axle can decrease by more than 0.5 times the weight of the bike.

So take care with the rear axle loading.

The weight information above is correct the other thing to bear in mind is do you have the correct licence to drive it.

All the best Rick.

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
You might find the guide on this website worth reading
Link Removed

I have had a look in our own downloads section but it seems no-one has written a guide for MHF!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back