Explain why we have to take it back to suppling dealer

Discussion in 'Swift Motorhomes' started by Braunston, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi,

Just a general question to Swift, can you please explain why if I buy one of your Motor-homes you expect me to take it back to the supplying dealer rather than allowing me to take to to any Swift dealership I like.

Probably more important are all of your dealerships expected to carry out repairs irrespective of whether i purchased the vehicle from them or not, or are they as appears, allowed to refuse just because they didn't supply the vehicle, unlike any cars I have purchased , e.g. Fiat, Ford, Mercedes etc. will repair any of my cars at any of their dealerships without reference to where it was purchased.

I await your reply

2. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Its a simple case of contract law
    swiftsold to dealer not you
    Dealer sold to you so your contract is with the dealer
    Why Swift even bother with the final purchaser is a mystery to me, they dont have too

3. Braunston

Hi, Geo

Thanks for the reply, how does it work with car purchases are they sold direct by the manufacturer to the purchaser then, or is there a different form of contract.

4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

You as an individual can not buy from the manufacturer, You actuly buy from a franchised dealer just as with a motor home, If the manufacture ie Swift Ford etc were to deal directly with you they would need thousands of customer suport world wide it just cant work
    Any problems you have with a tin of beans, comes back on Tesco NOT Heinz im afraid
    Thats the Law of the Land, its then up to Tesco to fall out with the bean supplier ie the cash and carry, they in turn fall out with the bean maker you take the bean/car maker to court and there is no case to answer as they sold YOU nothing

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Doesn't work like that with cars Geo though you are right legally.

I think it's a case of Swift paying a generous PDI fee to dealer to finish off the manufacture so if a dealer just cleans the windows and sends it out one of the Good Guys like Peter is well out of pocket doing work another dealer was paid for in advance.

Cars generally leave the factory finished. But then they are relatively simple mass produced items, they should.

Of course I may be wrong.

>> Bother with final purchaser ?

Do they have a choice with the state of some of their vans and the state of some of their dealers ?

6. Braunston

Hi, Geo

Thanks for the explanation,I appreciate if there is a serious problem which has to be taken through the courts then i understand your points clearly with no disagreement.

But can you explain how I can take a car into any of the franchised dealers and they will happily carryout the repairs without questioning where it was purchased and from the little use i have had to put this to the test they don't appear to be able to refuse.
    But with motor-homes and from what i have found I don't think this only applies to Swift it appears not to be the case, more often than not people are told to take it back to the dealer from where they purchased it, even though the repair costs on the surface appear to be being covered under the warranty which again appears to be direct from the manufacturer in a similar manner to the cars, do you know why ?they are treated differently to cars.

Thanks

7. SandJ

SandJ Read Only Funster

If you buy say a Fiat then you can take it to any Fiat dealership for Fiat related problems (or supplying dealer) who may be able to do or will take it to the marque dealer), that is providing the dealership actually deals with commercial. (some do cars only) The exception is any part altered or modified by a manufacturer.

The conversion part is separate and is a Swift, Autotrail or whatever, this is not as easy and needs to go back to the dealer.
    As already mentioned you but the van from supplier not the maker.

Swift have dealers that will look at other suppliers vehicles as JCM and others do.

As to other convertors I believe they have to go back to supplying dealer, could be wrong.

Geo, stop knocking Swift for getting involved. That is why I bought a Swift, from the assurance I received from Peter Swift. Keep up the good work Peter :thumb:

Steve

8. neilmac

neilmac Read Only Funster

Good explanation :thumb:

9. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

That is explianed by the simple number of franchised dealers there are and the minimum sized workshops and work force laid down by Fords in order to become a "Ford Dealer"
    because there is not enough work to go round any dealer is happy to and will honour warranty work, so long as Ford aprove it first
    If there was a shortage of ford dealers you would find exacly the same problems
    and what they are saying and even now have the right to say is
    "sorry we barley have time to look after vehicles we have sold so NO we wont do your work as you bought elsware

10. meanders

meanders Funster - Life Member Life Member

We have a swift group motorhome and we have no problem taking it to another dealer if we have a problem.We take ours to Marquis near where we live and they have always been very helpful even arrangiing for the motorhome to be returned to the factory to sole a problem with the insulation.

11. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I suggest you learn to read and hold your tongue:thumb:

You will not find any comment from me Knocking Swift

Quite the contrary, I said I don't know why they bother getting involved, "they don't have too" That is a statement of fact
    Ergo,that they do get involved maybe is to their credit,

You forget that I too have owned a Swift Kontiki, I bought believing it was the flagship of the swift group. and it was, I had a faultless time with it, It was however a 1998 model
    from all I have read and leaned since, In my own opinion something went seriously wrong about 2000 and continues to date

I think the problem may be Swifts failure to implement the correct conditions/terms for becoming a Swift Dealer and the sorry performance of some that already are, possibly caused by them having to wait for parts from Swift, I don't know,
    As you appear to have Peter Swifts ear perhaps as well as demanding no one knocks them, you could offer an explanation as to why there seems so many doing so:thumb:
    Geo

12. Supertractorman

Supertractorman Read Only Funster

My Swift Bessacarr has always had its Habitation service and warranty work done by another Swift Dealer with excellent service and no problems so I can't see what the problem is.

13. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

Read the O.P. then. ,[​IMG]

14. hilldweller

As smilies go that's pretty impressive.

15. SandJ

SandJ Read Only Funster

George, apologies for how that looks/sounds, It is not what was meant. I did not in any way mean you were knocking them par say.

I simply meant please do not knock Peter Swift from getting Swift involved alongside the dealers as I much appreciate Swift doing this and wish them to continue.:thumb:

I have no magic wand to wave and have Peter at my beck and call, I only support Swift for the way they are trying to deal with problems.

I hope that clarifies it Geo, again apologies from me for my poor clarification.
    :thumb:

I also apologize for having to go slightly off topic to the op and do not wish this to be an anti swift bash.

16. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

The actual PDI fee is peanuts basically, we get paid for rectification of faults found on PDI's at a rate lower than our retail labour rate and some of the times allowed are pathetic.

Warranty work on vans either supplied by us or other dealers is also paid at the lower rate however Jihns Cross, as a Swift Group Dealer will support the franchise and carry out warranty work on vans not supplied by us although it is not part of our franchise agreement.

Mark at Central Leisure Services (CLS) a member on here is also authourised to carry out ad hoc warranty rectification in the Midlands and he will come to your house.

Peter

17. SwiftGroup

SwiftGroup Read Only Funster

As far as we are concerned a Swift Group Motorhome can be taken to any approved Swift Group dealership for warranty work to be done. However, we are not the motor industry and do not have the same influence over our dealers many of whom are privately owned family run business.

It is very much up to the dealership themselves as to whether they are willing to do warranty work on behalf of another supplying dealer. Some will do, some will do when their workshops have capacity and some wont.

If there are exceptional circumstance (e.g. someone relocating from Devon to Scotland) we will try and help to find a dealer willing to take on the warranty local but we can't force a dealership to do so.

Thanks
    Andy

18. hilldweller

I stand corrected.

Sounds insane to me, especially from someone as successful as you have been across the board.

So your nice decent customers are subsidising Swift every time you work on their vans or sell them something. Or you are losing money and you are personally subsidising Swift.

I must be wrong.

19. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Not really Brian, my customers have purchased from me and expect a service to which they are entitled to, yes in some cases we will subsidise Swift on the labour costs but its all part of being a 'reputable' for want of a better word, supplier of motorhomes.

All our Johns Cross motorhomes, new or pre-owned come with five years habitation services in with the deal to show our committment to customer service. (Sorry for the plug)

In the case of non supplied vans, its all part of our reputation and in my view worth the expense.

Peter