Experts? (1 Viewer)

Should we have an "Ask the Experts" forum?

• Yes

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 15 45.5%

• Total voters
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I could be wrong but I thought Jim was hoping to have proper experts on the forum, not someone with a bit of knowledge about the subject.

The Poor Relations

Free Member
Sep 16, 2007
Sutton, Ely
Funster No
MH
Folding Camper
Exp
3 weeks
why do these threads end up being a contstant battlefield for posters to keep going over the same ground time and time again, it just ends up being a case of who can post their same opionion the most

The whole idea of the pole was to get a majority vote, and then the majority vote is then what the final decision is made on.

People wonder why new people do not post, but when thread after thread ends up being a long drawn out debate of who can get their voice heard the most it puts people off

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I can second that.

I have been here since the infancy of the site and am finding it a lot less fun now than it was, probably due to the long, drawn-out debates on some subjects.

Where have all the original members disappeared to?

Why do they not post any more? The evenings are So quiet now.

The Fun is dwindling for me.:Sad:

Only 48 people bothered to vote out of 846 members?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
PS

I started righting my last post before Jim made the decision to close, I had been working while writing, so I didnt realise until after I posted.....

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Jim, Can I make a suggestion?
The vote has been cast and a decision made, perhaps the discussion and the thread should be closed ?

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Maybe it should have just been a straight vote?:winky:

Agree it's time to close:thumb:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Perhaps we should take a vote on whether to close or not????? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Sorry :Blush: just trying to inject a bit of FUN :roflmto:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
why do these threads end up being a contstant battlefield for posters to keep going over the same ground time and time again, it just ends up being a case of who can post their same opionion the most

The whole idea of the pole was to get a majority vote, and then the majority vote is then what the final decision is made on.

People wonder why new people do not post, but when thread after thread ends up being a long drawn out debate of who can get their voice heard the most it puts people off

We do not have many threads that go on & on last word and word association excepted :winky:Out of more than 2100 threads I can only think of 3 that went on too long, and IMO none of those would I describe as a "battlefield" So I am sure they do not put too many people off, if any.

If you find a thread boring, don't read it. I do not read the A Frame threads, they bore me to death, but only because I have seen the arguments before. Those that haven't might find it very interesting. Some people enjoy a good debate, others enjoy a god laugh, many, I'm sure enjoy both. ::bigsmile:

I can second that.

I have been here since the infancy of the site and am finding it a lot less fun now than it was, probably due to the long, drawn-out debates on some subjects.

Where have all the original members disappeared to?

Why do they not post any more? The evenings are So quiet now.

The Fun is dwindling for me.

Only 48 people bothered to vote out of 846 members?

Most if not all of the original members are still here. I agree in the first month or so it was manic with tons of jokes and japes happening with the rebel alliance going from strength to strength:roflmto:. But that is bound to slow as the site slowly matures. Our meets calendar is as busy as clubs that have a 10 year start on us. And we are the fastest growing site because it is fun whilst at the same time it is becoming more and more informative as experienced members join. Fun is great but it has to be balanced with the facts, there are plenty of sites that are designed just for fun, with zillions of jokes and games, we are a Fun motorhome site, there has to be a big difference.

Re the number of voting members, these are always going to be small. Motorhomefacts with nearly 20,000 members polled as many as we did when both sites happened to be talking about pennants. Most members of any forum are non posters, and even less of those are inclined to vote on anything. IMO the balance of fun and facts on this site at the moment seems to be OK, but one things for sure, we cant please everyone all of the time, we just have to aim to please as many as we can. :Smile:

He never listen to me anyway

Didn't quite catch that. Did someone say something?:ROFLMAO:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
I was one of those who did not vote - not out of lack of interest, but because I did not spot this particular topic when on line, for which, regrettably, I have limited time:cry:. Surely the accurate question would be how many voted out of those who visited the site whilst the poll was open.:Doh:
To aid those who visit less frequently than others, for whatever reason, why can we not have a "open poll" heading drawing attention to this - like the posts since last visit idea? Just a thought::bigsmile:

Cheers - happy travelling

Bob

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Bob, you are right about the time, most of the polls we have are rarely closed. This one though had a couple of people waiting on a decision so I had to make one.

Sorry you didn't get to vote.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Bob, you are right about the time, most of the polls we have are rarely closed. This one though had a couple of people waiting on a decision so I had to make one.

Sorry you didn't get to vote.

Hi Jim
I hope the idea is not 'dead in the water' , in light of the fact that you had two people 'waiting in the wings' could we not have had a trial run for a month or so, then members could have made a more informed decision. ? .. just a thought.. I'm happy to go along with the majority view.. :Cool:

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
48 votes .. 752 apathetic :Sad:

A bit harsh Jim! The vote only lasted a few days. By the time I read the thread it was closed! Even then I wasn't sure I wanted to commit either way. I AM an expert in a some areas of interest and I would want to help but would I want to put myself up for diatrabes from some amateurs who think they know better?
Dunno, still thinking about it:Smile:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
A bit harsh Jim! The vote only lasted a few days. By the time I read the thread it was closed! Even then I wasn't sure I wanted to commit either way. I AM an expert in a some areas of interest and I would want to help but would I want to put myself up for diatrabes from some amateurs who think they know better?
Dunno, still thinking about it:Smile:

Hi Doug (The Pips),

Regarding your quote above:-

"I would want to help but would I want to put myself up for diatrabes from some amateurs who think they know better? "

I think you've got a very valid point there.No Matter how you put your point across from actual experience , there are still going to be the argumentative factions that refer to the "text book" answer.

Personally I would go for the answer from someone who has actually had the problem before and solved it their way.

Also there's the implications involved in some expert giving an answer and then problems occurring from that; through some unforeseen complication due to lack of full information given by the questioning party.

The answers must be referred to as a guide rather than a definitive answer, with necessary disclaimers attached should something occur that can be attributed to the information given.

An "Ask the expert Guide" would be a better way of putting it I guess IMHO.

Last edited:

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hi The Pips,

Regarding your quote above:-

"I would want to help but would I want to put myself up for diatrabes from some amateurs who think they know better? "

I think you've got a very valid point there.No Matter how you put your point across from actual experience , there are still going to be the argumentative factions that refer to the "text book" answer.

Personally I would go for the answer from someone who has actually had the problem before and solved it their way.

Also there's the implications involved in some expert giving an answer and then problems occurring from that; through some unforeseen complication due to lack of full information given by the questioning party.

The answers must be referred to as a guide rather than a definitive answer, with necessary disclaimers attached should something occur that can be attributed to the information given.

An "Ask the expert Guide" would be a better way of putting it I guess IMHO.

I like this reply Steve
I have fallen foul of "experts" in the past and this one reason for me not voting
I too would rather take the answer from someone who had already had the problem and solved it
it seems to me we can always get help here without the need for resident experts

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
I like this reply Steve
I have fallen foul of "experts" in the past and this one reason for me not voting
I too would rather take the answer from someone who had already had the problem and solved it
it seems to me we can always get help here without the need for resident experts

:Cool: Works for me. :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back