Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Have a fairly new ACER Aspire that locks on me when using it for a longish period. Not every day but maybe once a month etc
Why is this and how do I unlock it correctly.??
To date I have unplugged the power cable and then removed the bty and this works but is this correct?

Regards

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
It gets its knickers in a twist, your working the poor thing too hard!

Seriously I have had that problem and taking the battery out sorts it

Peter

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Sounds if it overheats occassionally,, how old is it? When it locks out is the fan running?

Not an expert but other are on here

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
What model is it? Laptop or netbook? I had an Aspire netbook a couple of years ago that had a (well known) BIOS problem (had to take it back to the shop to get it sorted under warranty) but I've also had a number of Aspire laptops (including the one I'm using at the moment) which have displayed no problems.

OP
OP
Gunner29

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Laptop

Its an ASPIRE Laptop and 9 months old. Perhaps it is overheating as its sat on the kitchen table and will move it to my LAP as thats what it says on the tin
Thanks anyway

mdixon

Free Member
Nov 7, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner T660
Exp
The last place a laptop should be is on your lap. This will cause overheating. The table is a better idea.

Have you got any background tasks running - like a backup system?
What operating system is it, and how much memory?

Are there any issues with device drivers?

So Many questions - so little time!!!

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I can't help with the reason for the lock-ups but rather than removing the battery each time you should be able to turn it off with a prolonged press of the power button.

mdixon

Free Member
Nov 7, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner T660
Exp
From what I have seen on the web...

1. Running just on ext power - no battery may solve the issue
2. Some people reckon the RAM is faulty
3. Others say it needs a firmware update.

1. and 3 are fairly easy to do and a check on the website will tell you if the firmware is up to date.

2. is also easy but costs money! Actually, thinking about it - I have 2 2GB RAM chips I have taken out of my HP laptop (replaced with 4GB Versions) If you tell me what type of RAM you could try one and see.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It does sound like overheating .. have you noticed the touch pad or anywhere around it getting warmer than usual. Have you cleaned the air intake and outlet grills .. ?

I had the same problem with my Dell.. running very hot with the fan running flat out most of the time..
To prove there was cooling issue I downloaded this little program that monitors the processor core(s) temperature
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ and it was indeed running way to hot.. Download and monitor to prove one way or the other.

I sent it back to Dell under warranty but there was little improvement .. seems to be a common complaint with my particular Dell model which has a quad core i7 processor .. Jan has the same model but with an i3 processor and her's runs almost cold..

I have always used a cool pad on my desk, but without a fan, so I bought a fan assisted cooling pad and that works a treat ... it still gets warm, but a huge improvement ..

Several on the market to choose from .. I bought Cooler Master Notepal U2 from [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002NU5V4A/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00"]Amazon[/ame]

Last edited:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Acer Aspire's are well known for overheating - that's why I got rid of mine.

Buy one of the rests with built-in fan that the laptop can sit on - £20 in Maplins

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
[HI]Acer Aspire's are well known for overheating[/HI] - that's why I got rid of mine.

Buy one of the rests with built-in fan that the laptop can sit on - £20 in Maplins

Are they? I've had several and the only one I've had an overheating problem with exhibited no symptoms until about 4 or 5 years old :Smile:

My current Aspire 5349 is about the same age as Gunner29's, is used mainly on my desk and is recharged fairly frequently because the battery life isn't fantastic (the only thing I don't like about it). No overheating problems.

Given that Gunner29's machine is only 9 months old I would take it back to the shop for investigation under warranty.

mdixon

Free Member
Nov 7, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner T660
Exp
In my reply earlier I said I have some spare RAM if you want to try
I Have 2 2GB Chips of 1333 PC3 SODIMM 204 pin RAM if this fits

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Are they? I've had several and the only one I've had an overheating problem with exhibited no symptoms until about 4 or 5 years old :Smile:

My current Aspire 5349 is about the same age as Gunner29's, is used mainly on my desk and is recharged fairly frequently because the battery life isn't fantastic (the only thing I don't like about it). No overheating problems.

Given that Gunner29's machine is only 9 months old I would take it back to the shop for investigation under warranty.

Certainly the one I had was well known for overheating - as mine did. The web was awash with fixes, most of which involved drilling and opening up the sealed false ventilation slots in the base... nice one Acer.

Sent mine out to Africa, figured they wouldn't know out there.....::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back