Experience in taking dogs to France (1 Viewer)

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
I have a pedigree Staffordshire bull terrier... rightly it is not considered a "dangerous" or "guard dog" in this country - but looks a little like some that are. I can't see any definitive info on the feasibility of taking it with us on a motorhome trip to France.

I notice that the pre-return jab for worms etc. is not required from 1-Jan-2012 so it appears to be straightforward as long as he's micro-chipped and has a pet passport.

Can someone with experience please comment? Thanks.

--Andrew

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Sorry, I have no personal experience .. have you looked at the French Embassy guide ?

here

Link Removed

B.Other breeds classified as guard dogs (cat. 2) with a pedigree can be imported into France :

Staffordshire terrier

Upvote 0

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I have a pedigree Staffordshire bull terrier... rightly it is not considered a "dangerous" or "guard dog" in this country - but looks a little like some that are. I can't see any definitive info on the feasibility of taking it with us on a motorhome trip to France.

I notice that the pre-return jab for worms etc. is not required from 1-Jan-2012 so it appears to be straightforward as long as he's micro-chipped and has a pet passport.

Can someone with experience please comment? Thanks.

--Andrew

Its not a jab - just a worming tablet. Tip Take your own with you and Front Line flea treatment also:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Lobster

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
Thanks for those links - they seem to confirm that there is a catch-all "but it might get seized anyway"... so I'd be interested to hear from anyone with practical experience as well.

--A

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I think i have already answered to that question , but i don't know when!

Try to find it in the "Pet"section, if you haven't already... it might be quite a while ago , i would say at least a year ago! And if you can't find anything then i will phone to a vet to find out. I do remember i have been phoning everywhere and no one could give me a proper answer , and then i found out with a vet so ... i 'll go straight to the vet this time !

Let me know !
I am sorry i have no time to search for you in the forum

You can make a search to find all my posts , it could be quicker assuming it can only be in pet or continental touring sections.

Bye for now , give a shout if needed ok?!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
The jury is still out on the tapeworm treatment. No need to do flea/tick but Defra still don't appear to have made the decision on tapeworm treatment (have just checked but can't seen anything) so watch this space.:Doh:
Lynda

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a cross greyhound/staffy, she's more like a very muscle-bound greyhound though! Her passport simply says greyhound cross.

It would appear from the below website that Staffordshire Bull Terriers do not fall into either class 1 or class 2 so you shouldn't have any problems but it very much depends on what is on the passport:

http://www.animalcouriers.com/downloads/dog-law-in-France-Dr-Diana-James.pdf

Attachments

• Romy.jpg
    Romy.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 11
  • waggly feet.jpg
    waggly feet.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 6
Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2011
Kilmun, Dunoon
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sport TI
Exp
Since 2012
Pedigree or not

In Spain some of the campsites qualify which dogs are allowed. Our North African horny backed, short legged fighting dog was banned at numerous locations, commonly known as a crocodile.
On a serious note though some sites do ban dangerous breeds at the campsite owners discretion.

atb Neil

Upvote 0

Gran & Rog

Free Member
Apr 17, 2011
Lofthouse, Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Eight years
our daughter has always had Staffies and they are as soft as brushes, its the way they are brought up and treated that causes them to be other than pussy cats.

my Jack Russell is more of a guard dog than Ziggy lol

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Having taken our St Bernard back and forth many times

We have crossed many times using the tunnel to take Ezzie the St Bernard across to France.

The rules change this year on the 1st January and you do need to check the DEFRA site as some of the lold rules have gone like Blood tests for rabies. But I do not see where the requirement to visit the French vet to get him to complete the passport (Three places have to be signed and stamped)... the vet has to apply the tick and worm treatment. You will have issues at the port if the passport is not correctly filled out.. No vet will do the passport if you have your own treatments.

We use a good vet in Amiens which we have oftem recommended ..he charges euros 29 all in... if you need details p.m. me... Frankie has in the past called the vet to make the booking... while the vet speaks good English the receiption staff do not..

I have parked my American RV and trailer in the road (can be busy) or the near by Lidle car park.. Amiens has a camp site 4 kms from the vets for the layover which is still in force... you cannot travel back before 24 hours or after 48 hours..

The chip is read at the tunnel PETS centre ..they pass you there chip reader and you find the chip and hand it back to the staff that then check the passport has beeen correctly filled in and you are then cleared to travel.

Have seen more than one person waiting to have a vet come out or the dog has been taken away to a compound as they have nbot had the correct paperwork. Very upset owners that have not read the rules, of complied with them.

Bob

Upvote 0

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Beg to differ on what Slobaboberdob has said re the vets not using treatments you have taken with you. We did it this summer in France - the vet administered both our tick and worming treatments (which we had taken with us) - no problem. He completed the 3 sections of the passport and we paid 24 euros. All legit and above board. We also know others that have done the same too.:thumb: If you need more info please let me know.

Lynda

Upvote 0

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We took our own stuff as well and the vet administered them and I did see a few camp sites with a few breeds of dog that were banned on the reception windows, pictures of them but I couldn't understand the names as they were in French

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back