Expensive Motorhoming

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Biged, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Biged

Biged Read Only Funster

Is Motorhoming as expensive as it looks?

I see many post on here and to very many money seems no object, :Eek!: it certainly is to us. I don't say we are poor but we certainly have to live within our budget.

Any of you have to budget?:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Linda and Steph

Linda and Steph Funster

we budget

We've just ordered a new MH, it's going to mean tightening belts, but the way we look at it is why hang on to every penny - spend and enjoy now.

• Like Like x 3
  3. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

It`s all relative, I drive a Ford ,some drive a BMW.

I own a 15 year old motorhome ,some own a £80k new Motorhome.

we all spend what we need/want to our own individual requirements.

I spend a lot on big campsites because I like entertainment /bars ect --some like to camp in a field.

Horses for courses:thumb:

• Like Like x 10
  4. ROB1CHELSEA1

ROB1CHELSEA1 Funster

We were budgeting before the motorhome, it's good to budget:thumb:

5. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

We are struggling OAP`s...:Sad:

Don't matter what you drive,,,,, It`s the fun you have in what ever you drive... :thumb:

• Like Like x 8
  6. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

there are funsters from all sorts of backgrounds with vastly differing incomes

and the lovely thing about fun is no matter how old your motorhome or how empty the wallet, everyone is welcomed and treated the same

• Like Like x 16
  7. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I certainly don't spend as much as some, but use the van a lot. Dont use expensive campsites as I prefer to be on a beach. I work within the same budget I always have, and that is, if I can afford it, I have it or do it. If I cant I do without.

• Like Like x 14
  8. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

ooh I didnt really answer your question Is motorhoming expensive.

Its as expensive or as cheap as you make it.

We have saved a fortune. We now have more holidays, jump in the motorhome every chance we get and do not pay extortionate prices for holidays in high season.

We think motorhoming is excellent value and a great way to meet people and to enjoy holidays.

We no longer have the hassle of hotels being overbooked or dirty rooms, anything dirty in our motorhome is down those using it and ours has a very comfortable bed

• Like Like x 6
  9. buckby

buckby

I work sometimes 6 days a week and drive about 900 miles a week going away and using the motorhome is priceless you only have to spend as much as you can afford allways shop about for accesories stay away from the big place at gunthorpe :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  10. chaser

chaser Funster

Some mhs seem to think money is no object when it comes to spending on vans, as I have been shot down on on here many times for mentioning, just because you have loads of money I just can't see why you have to throw it away .
    I have had to work hard and long for the bit I have got so still save every penny I can on my mh, why anyone wants to spend maybe £50 a night on campsites when you could have b&b for the same money just defeats me, just because you have got it doesn't mean you have got to throw it away, you can go to meets for about a fiver and meet like minded people or in France aires are brilliant for free, soon pay your ferry back.
    I am probably rambling a bit but the mist of it is you can have wonderful times without breaking the bank if you just weigh it all up before throwing money at it.:BigGrin::BigGrin:

• Like Like x 8
  11. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I don't see why it bothers you what others do???

What has it got to do with you how I or anyone else spends their money?

We spend what we want/ can doing what we want to do, and I don't plan on asking for yours or anyone else's permission to do so for Christs sake.

On the general topic I think everyone has a budget and if you stick to it great,

• Like Like x 6
  12. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

Its only expensive if its parked outside the house and you don't use it!

• Like Like x 12
  13. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

It is pretty straight forward stuff, the prices of MHs are fairly predictable. There are old, fairly old, fairly new and new. The price of diesel is predictable. That leaves very few variables. If you wild camp your overnight costs nothing, if you go on a camp site it costs £15 per night. If you want a posh lunch it costs you £20 minimum, if you make butties it is virtually free. If you want to be in the South of Spain one week and Dubrovnik the next you will spend a lot of money on fuel. We have 12 weeks summer holiday each year and we keep costs to a minimum. We have 3 winter holidays in the Canary Islands and we stay in watching telly.

People think we are tight, I merely think we have decided how we want to spend our money. I would never dream of trying to persuade anyone that we do it right and they do it wrong. It is their choice.

Having spent a great many years paying mortgages, office rents and alimony it is so nice to be retired and the government sends me a cheque every four weeks. I ought to send them a thank you letter. I am so grateful. I am very very happily married for the third time but I encourage rich widows to watch this space.... Just kidding.

• Like Like x 4
  14. B-well

B-well Funster

MH is expensive if you do not have the health to enjoy.:BigGrin:

15. daisy mae

daisy mae Read Only Funster

Well for a start I am on a budget, until last year I had a Volvo estate,a 740 diesel estate, I wanted a small motorhome to visit family and friends further away and stay over, also holidays, I don`t like hotels etc, like to do my own thing, have a dog so she is my concern, MH is brilliant, I have now gone for one bigger to be more comfortable in,especially in inclement weather, it is a 2003 so not new, I prefer the older ones more solidly built, have wood in them for a start,

My insurance is cheaper than my car was, the road tax is a lot cheaper, as for fuel I got 37-40`s per gallon, most I got from the Volvo was 33mpg.

So I am well chuffed.you don`t have to spend a fortune, I have gone from tents, small ridge tent on bikes and a trailer with a baby in it, ( built for the job )bungalow tents, caravans, now MH know which I prefer. New is not always better, depends on what you want to do, there is room for everyone, whether small, big, old or new, at the end of the day it is the fun element that is the most important, as long as you have a bed, somewhere to wash and a loo, cooker some form of heating/light, what more can you want, then the world is your oyster. Enjoy. :thumb:

Margaret

ps. Don`t go out for meals, if ounless it is fish and chips from the chippie, out for most of the day just glad to have a meal in the mh and relax.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  16. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I keep close tabs on my MH's running costs and have a pretty good idea of what I'm budgeting for each month. Our household income has been through some downward changes in recent years so we've adjusted the spending to match. There's a lot of things we'd manage without before we even considered selling the van - it's too a big personal priority for us. We tend to holiday on the cheap compared to many and aren't fussed about using aires and the like to save money, but as others have said it's horses for courses.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Chubs

Chubs Read Only Funster

If we did not buy new Motorhomes you could not buy secondhand Motorhomes

• Like Like x 1
  18. busby

busby Funster

Who wants to stay in a B&B when you have your home comforts in a motorhome. BUSBY:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 4
  19. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Between us, we worked for 80 years before we could afford our current motorhome. Expensive? yes, worth it? you bet!
    But this isn't our first. Our first van in 1987 ( a 2 berth VW, 1973 vintage) cost us less than £2k, the next was a Ford CI Motorhome Mk2, for about £3k, then, our second VW, in 1994, a 1978 4 berth cost us £2300 and we kept it 10 years without it costing us a penny in repairs.
    I guess you buy what you can afford.
    Allan

• Like Like x 2
  20. Granjan

Granjan Funster

I thought motorhoming and camping was for everyone! Whatever their budget, I am getting a bit fed up with the money moaners:Angry: my husband and I took risks when we didn't have any money, we worked really hard building a business up from nothing, we have employed a lot of people over the years. Still do! Whilst doing all this we have paid a fortune in taxes and raised 4 kids who are also hard working and paying taxes themselves, so please stop the **itching I thought this was motorhome fun.

Cruises and posh hotels don't really do it for me because although I have a nice MH I like the simple things in life too like cooking, a deserted beach, playing with my grandkids, swimming, walking in my flip flops. The best things in life are totally free (at least when you get there!) What I really want now is just some peace and quiet no grief, no phones and a large red wine!

There are fabulous places to stay in the Uk and you dont have to travel far from anywhere to find them as others have said before it can be as cheap or expensive as you make it and a great time can be had in a tent in a field.

Rant over !

• Like Like x 4