Expensive lesson learnt

Discussion in 'Web Connections' started by sueone, Aug 13, 2014.

1. sueone

sueone Read Only Funster

Whilst on a wild camping trip recently I foolishly (it turns out) decided to catch up on a couple of episodes of my favourite soap one night during a bout of insomnia. I duly tethered my iPhone to my iPad and away I went safe in the knowledge that my provider would text me once I got too close to my 1GB data allowance. Sure enough the next day I got said text telling me I was close to reaching my limit and that any further data above 1GB would be chargeable. Being fairly au fait with my phone I turned off all cellular activity and thought nothing more of it (after all I hadn't gone over my limit had I!!!!). Wrong. It seems I had used close to 650MB of data on my soap catch up at a cost of nearly £17. I accept that it is my own fault and I should not have relied on my provider coming up with the information in a timely manner. Does anyone have any tips for getting online whilst away without having to worry.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Macdonalds or pub wifi:wine:

• Like Like x 3
  3. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Ouch! I try to avoid tethering anyway. How about a better deal on the data package? The only thing I can think of.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I have a 1gb allowance on my 3 phone. I was in France for almost a month and when I got to less than 400mb left ( on 3rd August) I got a message from 3 telling me I had 20% of my allowance left. I have had 7 other similar messages, the last one today, and I still have 287mb left.
    Now, when I was at school, 20% of 1000 was 200, and I still haven't got that low!
    I suggest you change to 3, you won't get any nasty surprises!
    Other than that, don't watch soaps and try and use wifi. Wifi boosters are available from this forum that apparently work very well, if you can find a signal.
    We also have BTinternet and a Fon account, so we get free wifi in lots of places
    Allan

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Watch Channel 4 News instead. You will be that BORED, you will turn the damned thing off after but a few minuets! (y)(y)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Phill D

Phill D

could try changing networks if thats an option. 3's one plan, or whatever its called now i have at £16 / month sim only and allows unlimited data on tethering in uk.

• Like Like x 1