Exit Border Checks at the Tunnel (1 Viewer)

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Important information for customers travelling via our Folkestone Terminal on 13th February 2015

The British government will introduce Exit Checks at all ports and airports from April 2015. Trials will take place on our Folkestone terminal on the 13th February; in order to speed up your journey through our terminal, if travelling that day, please ensure that you have passports or ID cards to hand at all times.

http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/traveller-info/latest/

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Wonder if that includes Holyhead and the ports to Ireland. If not surely it makes a nonsense of the whole thing?

Dick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Important information for customers travelling via our Folkestone Terminal on 13th February 2015

The British government will introduce Exit Checks at all ports and airports from April 2015. Trials will take place on our Folkestone terminal on the 13th February; in order to speed up your journey through our terminal, if travelling that day, please ensure that you have passports or ID cards to hand at all times.

http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/traveller-info/latest/

Bliar wanted all travelers to be checked and those who had PNC's unpaid fines and civil county court judgments would not be allowed to travel out of the country + that included those traveling to the I0W and the IoM
The mans supposed to have been a lawyer for Gods sake how on earth did he think he'd get away with that but as we have since discovered that man is bloody dangerous.

I sincerely hope this isn't a prelude to that nonsence

Deleted User
Is that anything new? I always have to produce my passport when entering the UK via aeroplane or ferry.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Exit checks are what are talked of. I've not being checked at exit for years at tunnel or ports.

Dick

OP
OP
Steve101uk

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
Is that anything new? I always have to produce my passport when entering the UK via aeroplane or ferry.
Previously when leaving the UK via the tunnel or ferry you could drive through both UK and French passport control and very rarely had your passport checked. When returning the UK border always checks and scans your passport.

From April 2015 UK borders will check everyone in and out and record all movement in and out of the UK. The weak link is of course Ireland as passport checks into the UK from Ireland are not required for British Citizens. And we have a land border with Ireland. Another potential problem is excessive queuing at Folkstone and Dover and potential delays in getting everyone through for the outward bound trip.

Makes you wonder how the rest of Europe cope

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Exit checks are what are talked of. I've not being checked at exit for years at tunnel or ports.

Dick

I've only done the tunnel UK to France once and they searched round the outside of the car, made me get out and open bonnet while they poked around the engine and when I went back stupid man had got into the car and was swishing something round the steering wheel. I pointed to Holly sat on the back seat and told him he was lucky to still gave his face intact.
They'd already checked my passport. It was late at night, there were a lot of staff and maybe they were just bored?

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
I've had that once as well about 7/8 years ago. They were looking for bombs, the steering wheel swab was to check for traces of explosives that could have come off your hands. Nothing to do with passport or identity checks. Any passport check would have been the french one

Dick

OP
OP
Steve101uk

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
We have used the tunnel 2-3 times a year over the past few years. We have had the wand over the steering wheel thing at the French Border when returning to the UK. On leaving the UK apart from the gas check we have never been checked for passports. Only time we presented our passports was at the UK border on the French side. I have noticed UK border often have a few cars in the customs area on the UK side having random checks. We did get the third degree from French customs once when we got on around 1030 pm. I think I perked his interest when I said we had been to Holland.

Only thing that bothers me about these changes is the delays it may cause. We generally get on the tunnel early morning and I like the relaxed way it works with minimal delay.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I imagine they are having a trial run precisely to find out what delays will be caused under normal circs. Of course if there's a felon in the queue then I daresay there will be delays anyway but that can happen wherever you are.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
We was searched if that,s what you called it a quick look in the van at Portsmouth, on a trip to Australia a few years ago Lynn was stopped at the airport,s both Sydney and internal flights and Bangcock, checked for drugs with a probe in to her luggage, my suitcase identical never looked into I was going to follow her in to a side room but was told I was not required very strange when two people travelling together with same suitcases were split up. Pete

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
If they'd explained the checks that might have been better but I was more concerned about repercussions of security man who got into my car without checking with me, and a very protective dog sat inches from his head.
Quite happy to be searched but don't want my dog in trouble for protecting her territory.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We was searched if that,s what you called it a quick look in the van at Portsmouth, on a trip to Australia a few years ago Lynn was stopped at the airport,s both Sydney and internal flights and Bangcock, checked for drugs with a probe in to her luggage, my suitcase identical never looked into I was going to follow her in to a side room but was told I was not required very strange when two people travelling together with same suitcases were split up. Pete

I got a really hard time at Sydney airport a few years back.

" Sir, whilst on the aeroplane on route to Australia you signed a declaration that you were not carrying any syringes in your luggage"

Me - " That's right"

Customs chap - " We have detected a syringe in your luggage, please follow us"

I was beginning to sweat now.

They went through my bag and found the culprit - an electric toothbrush:doh:

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Regularly get asked if they can look in the trailer and also once in the motorhome itself. And on the Cherbourg/Portsmouth ferry they have used the mirror on a stick thingy to look under the bike :confused:

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I've never had to declare mine even to Aus, Chris. Although they do ask at check in whether I have anything sharp and I always say shedloads - not only do I have nail scissors somewhere but I'm also Type 1 diabetic so I have more than enough hypodermic needles and lancets to last me a fortnight (or however long) - cos the instruction is whatever you need, equipment or medication - take double. So normally you bring half back again but I've never been asked coming back. Anyway - nobody has ever seemed to take any notice whatsoever or asked to see the 'standard' Drs letter we can request which I've carried since 1972 - this one dates from 1998 though cos I asked for a new one when I moved here.

Pete however was detained at a Greek airport since having emptied his trouser pockets and taken off his belt to go through the doings one of the things was his penknife. Ooops, they had to ask the captain if he was willing to take it in the cabin. He was. When we got back the Brum we got the luggage, and then said what do we do? I said well perhaps we head for the Red channel then? Dunno never had to go through anything but green. When we got there a Security man stood there swinging the biggest manila envelope I think I've ever seen. Daft. I could easily kill someone a lot easier and far less noticeably with an insulin pen .........

However I did get hauled over the coals at Sydney for illegal importation of a full packet of McVities digestives - my normal back-up carb source in case of hypos - see, when they said 'Are you importing blah blah' - to me that meant 'importing for trade' and I wasn't ! I had absolutely no intention of letting anyone else have em whether they paid me for em or not!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I have never left the country ether by ferry or air with out having to hand over my passport is there something new going to happen

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp

Entering yes but now its leaving also which is why I made my previous comment

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
I've had that once as well about 7/8 years ago. They were looking for bombs, the steering wheel swab was to check for traces of explosives that could have come off your hands. Nothing to do with passport or identity checks. Any passport check would have been the french one

Dick

Or if you'd been playing cards you would also have checked positive for explosives

Deleted User
Entering yes but now its leaving also which is why I made my previous comment

I realised that after reading another post but I originally took 'exit check' to mean exiting the ferry/tunnel terminal after disembarking in the UK.

Now if they had made things clear by saying when 'exiting the UK' my simple mind may have comprehended the meaning. :)

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Or if you'd been playing cards you would also have checked positive for explosives
Too true, wasn't that the evidence that led to the innocent Birmingham Six spending 16 years in prison and "falling down stairs" several times.

Dick

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
The government have been castigated for uncontrolled immigration but they can't do much about those coming from Europe. However the only way that they can ensure that those who came in from elsewhere in the world on limited visas like students etc is to check them out when they leave which requires everyone leaving to be identified and presumably details taken for those of Non EU countries to tally back to their entry record. Perhaps this is a precursor to that being rolled out around the country? Ultimately with complete records they should be able to say how many non EU foreigners are in the country and how many have to leave as their visa will expire in due course!

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Years ago I got stopped and searched in a motorhome, wanted to know if I was carrying any knives???????? ere yes its got a Kitchen, I had been wild parking in Portugal a few months before and they seemed to know, as said to have a nice time on the Algarve as they waved me through?????

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I realised that after reading another post but I originally took 'exit check' to mean exiting the ferry/tunnel terminal after disembarking in the UK.

Now if they had made things clear by saying when 'exiting the UK' my simple mind may have comprehended the meaning. :)

I read it that way too... But checks when exiting the UK makes sense.. glad they are coming back in.

wizza

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
8 years
Come back through tunnel from France on 31 January and was checked at French and UK for passport, had French army an French passport control checking all vehicles.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back