Free Member
May 28, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 months and loving it
Yesterday i completed 1 year as a Motorhome owner and despite the overall cost involved am still thoroughly enjoying it ...when i can rely on the van.

I have a 1994 Talbot Express so expect some ongoing maintenance issues, however the exhaust problems are non ending.

When i first purchased the van the dealer 'patched up ' the exhaust to get it through the MOT. This was in May and it lasted until a trip to Cornwall in October when it blew again. We were towed to Launceston where the local exhaust fitter welded it together but advised it would ned a proper fix asap. We continued on our journey and after a trip to Bath returned home and on the last few miles it started to blow again.
I then took it to our local motorhome dealer (Kent motorhome centre) as it needed a service also and was advised that i needed a complete exhaust system to be fitted as the old one had been patched up many times. I agreed and paid £252 parts and £110 labour on the basis that at least this part of the van would be trouble free for the forseeable. The work was carried out on 11/12/2009.
Yesterday the exhaust was blowing again so i took it to a local exhaust fitter who siad that part of the exhaust had snapped and advised me to take it back to where it was fitted as he could see it was a new exhaust.
I must stress that i have not spoken yet to the mechanic at KMC that fitted it but when i called in to speak to one of the salesmen yesterday i was concerned by his comments that he did not think they supplied exhausts but only fitted them. Indicating that my issue may be with the supplier.

Obviously all i want is a new exhaust fitted quickly as i have already cancelled this weeks plans and do not want to be without the van any longer. For some reason i think i am going to have a battle on this and wondered what my rights are. Hopefully they can fit a new one but if they refuse what redress do i have. If they offer to replace but can't do the work for 2/3 weeks can i go somewhere else and charge to them.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks in anticipation

Jon

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
As you purchased the exhaust FROM the dealer who also fitted it, it is his responsibility to sort out the problem, end of story.

Peter

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Could be even more complicated.

If you engine mounts are knackered and excessive engine movement is causing the problem then who is responsible ?

Or they could have fitted it badly so the exhaust was stressed continually and that caused it to fail.

Good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
when we had our old talbot express MOT's the garage man said one of the rubber gaiter's was missing, so he fitted a new one for only £5, we then went on holiday in europe and when we got in Belgium our exghaust also snapped as the rubber gaiter was too tight and not giving room for movement, luckily hubby and brother found a quick fit garage but they could not fix it as they could not lift the camper up on the ramp's, so it was bogged with old exghaust's b ut it lasted about 2,500 miles and got back to uk no problem.

OP
OP
Locky

Locky

Free Member
May 28, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 months and loving it
Great news. Kent Motorhome Centre replaced the exhaust without any fuss. They picked up the van from storage and dropped it back without any charge. Fantastic service!

We are now at Sheepcote valley in Brighton enjoying the sunshine.

Thanks for all your advice.
Jon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back