Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Having exhausted:Blush: all other avenues, I'm hoping some one here can help.

My exhaust is on it's last legs and here I am in Spain. After 6 months on winter quarters I have to head back to the UK via Portugal. I have asked around and searched the net, but so far no one seems to know where I could get a new exhaust fitted.

There are plenty of tyre companies around but none that fit exhausts. So if anyone knows of any company, in Spain, Portugal or even Western France ( if I get that far) that do exhausts I would be grateful.

The only translation in Spanish that I can find for exhaust is "extractor" and that doesn't help.

Pete:Cool:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time

My exhaust is on it's last legs and here I am in Spain. After 6 months on winter quarters I have to head back to the UK via Portugal. I have asked around and searched the net, but so far no one seems to know where I could get a new exhaust fitted.

There are plenty of tyre companies around but none that fit exhausts. So if anyone knows of any company, in Spain, Portugal or even Western France ( if I get that far) that do exhausts I would be grateful.

The only translation in Spanish that I can find for exhaust is "extractor" and that doesn't help.

Hi Pete

exhaust

exhaust
[ɪgˈzɔːst] sustantivo 1. escape (m)(on car)
  • exhaust (fumes) -> gases mpl de la combustión
  • exhaust (pipe) -> tubo (m) or caño (m) de escape (RP)

verbo transitivo 2. agotar (person, resources)

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Websters-World-Concise-Spanish-Dictionary/dp/0471748366/&tag=spani-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325"]Copyright © 2006 Chambers Harrap Publishers Limited[/ame]

exhaust [ik-sost] 1. Apurar, consumir el agua u otro licor.
2. Agotar; gastar, consumir, disipar (finish, drain).
3. Empobrecer; debilitar, enflaquecer (weaken).
4. Cansar (get tired).
  • To be exhausted -> no poder más
  • Exhausted receiver -> recipiente de que se ha extraído el aire
  • Exhaust pipe -> tubo de escape
va.

sustantivo 1. Escape, descarga, expulsión.
  • Exhaust chamber -> cámara de escape
  • Exhaust pipe -> tubo de escape

Is it your silencer or a pipe that has gone?

I fitted a few aftermarket pipes to my Hymer and they didn't last. I went to a Merceedes dealer and got a manufactures system fitted and it has outlasted the others by a good margin.

You should be able to find a Merc commercial dealer on line.

If a pipe I found a temporay fix was a bean tin wrapped over the pipe and tied down with wire. then cover the ends with "GUN GUM".

John

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I always carry a good sized piece of aluminium cut from the side of an old caravan and 2 good sized jubilee clips.This will make a temporary repair on any exhaust system.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Depending on which part of the exhaust system needs replacing, the silencer is a Merc part, but the tail pipe is Hymer-specific and you have to get it from a dealer (who will probably have to order it from Bad Waldsee). I believe there may be some differences depending on whether your Hymer is LHD or RHD.

Our tail pipe sheared off last September and Hymer UK (Brownhills) quoted about £150 for the pipe (without fitting).
I discussed the problem with my friendly local private HGV engineers who service the van for me. They obtained a Merc approved, but not a standard Merc, pipe that is made only for Sprinter-based ambulances. It turns through 90º and now the exhaust comes out at the side, just in front of the offside rear wheel. The part was about £60 +VAT (no chrome trim). They had to construct a new support bracket and the whole job cost about £150.

From my point of view, this arrangement has three advantages.
1. The part is available from stock (next time)
2. The ground clearance at the back is improved (for ferry loading etc.)
3. There is no long unsupported tail-pipe behind the rear hanging bracket. I am sure this distance is at least a metre and the pipe flexes up and down as a result. A repeat fracture seemed inevitable.

Sorry this does not help you find a supplier in Iberia, but it may be food for thought.

Philip

OP
OP
Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
The tail pipe fell off in France but silencer was ok so no real problem.

I have checked back behind the silencer and it's rotted around the mounting hook, though still hanging on.

I think that when I move, it's all going to fall off:Doh:

I've tried searching on google for a Merc. truck or van dealer but all I get is car sales dealers.

Maybe when I'm on the road again I'll spot a truck place somewhere:thumb:

Thanks for the translation, John, I'll try at the camp reception with that.

OP
OP
Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
It is LHD and the tail pipe comes out on the left side halfway down the van ( or should I say used to ). I was hoping someone knew of a dedicated exhaust outlet in Spain or Portugal.

OP
OP
Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Interestingly but slightly off topic. I posted this request on the dark side at the same time.

Scores so far. Fun 3-0 Dark side.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
It is LHD and the tail pipe comes out on the left side halfway down the van ( or should I say used to ). I was hoping someone knew of a dedicated exhaust outlet in Spain or Portugal.

Hi Pete

Link Removed for

Mercedes Benz Official Sites

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
What model and year of Merc is it.

I have the 410D 1992 The model before the Sprinter.

John

david and ann

Free Member
Jan 3, 2009
Sax Alicante
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
7 years

Exhast in Spanish is tubo de escape
david
Sax Alicante

david and ann

Free Member
Jan 3, 2009
Sax Alicante
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
7 years
Hola
Thanks for the thanks. Sorry didnt try to help with getting a new exhaust but dont know where you are in Spain. Most large tyre places do exhausts plus feu vert attached to carrefours supermarket do them also. Would assume you'd have to wait awile though. But they could at least do some sort of repair though.
Good luck
David:thumb:
forgot there's a mercedes commercial dealer in Alicante and one in Murcia

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back