Exchanging €s for £s

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Pilote87, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Pilote87

Pilote87 Funster

Has anyone any advice on buying pounds sterling with euros, please?

I will be bringing 15 camping car owners to the UK in September and I am now being asked where is the best to buy the UK money. Some didn't realise that they can't use euros in the UK. So, there is bound to be someone who can give me guidance on the best. I am trying to dissuade them from buying on the ferry ( Dieppe - Newhaven service).

Thanks, Guys and Galls,

J

2. Gosport Tim

Gosport Tim Funster

You can of course go to most banks or currency exchange outlets and swop € for £ given the current exchange rate eve with a small charge it should be good value. Also sure your own banks will do exchange.

3. The Wino

The Wino Funster

could be different the other way around but we often find the best rate is post office pr pre-ordered to collect at the exchange at the airport/tunnel a much better rate than on the day!!. Its a pity it would be difficult to arrange but we could do swap with funsters for pounds at the average rate we would all get a better deal than at the bank!

4. big map

big map Funster Life Member

Marks & spencer, Asda and tesco are usually best.

5. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

A lot of Sainsbury supermarkets have exchange bureaux. Even Paignton has one ! M&S, Post Offices, banks.

6. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I doubt I could help all 15 but if it is a 'cash' exchange then I for one could do better than any Bureau de change and I expect others may be able to purchase some Euro for £ sterling

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Hi John, is this the same trip you were planning in Feb or another one?

Why can't they do what most of us do for cash abroad use their debit cards in ATM's.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  8. JJ

JJ Funster

I think you should try the Funster Bank.

How many Euros do you want the change?

There must be loads of Funsters who want Euros for their winter trips... just needs some working out surely...

Anything less than €50,000 and Mr Snowbird will deal with it with the loose change in his left hand side, trouser pocket... (the contents of his right hand pocket are for serious deals only.) :whistle:

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

For an exchange rate with no fees or commission then Revolut is pretty much unbeatable

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pilote87

Pilote87 Funster

Thank you one and all for your informative / interesting / humorous replies. I had already had thoughts about various High Street options, but hadn't thought about using the "hole in the wall".

Yes @Lenny HB, it is the same trip. Oh what a headache this one has been to organise. Visit options having to be changed because of non-opening on the proposed day of our visit, French-speaking guides not being available when we had tried to book a day and so on. Such fun !!

11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

In my experience they will get a poor rate of exchange at any typical "money shop" like the post office if handing over cash. As suggested, bank cards in ATMs should give a good rate but they need to check with their bank what charges there could be as there may well be a fixed charge for each transaction or even a % fee. If you are going to recommend them this route you don't want any complaints later! My suggestion would be to offer them a number of options from the ferry which will be convenient and useful if they need a bit of spending money for the first day or so, ATMs or High Street Banks. Pros and cons with all methods but letting them decide should absolve you of any blame!

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. wanderer

wanderer Funster

I think you will find the rate for buying pounds will be very poor on the High Street using Euros. There is a hefty difference between buying and selling rates . They would be better off using debit cards or pre-paid currency cards . As an example the Post Office rate for buying euros this morning is 1.27 remember this is for the customer selling Euros, the rate for buying Euros is 1.12.

13. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Oh my god, we just book a ferry and go often don't know where to, but then again anything is better than trying to use a Motorhome in the UK.:) Good luck sounds like you need some.

Back to the banking, even the worst charges on a debit card is probably a lot better than exchange shop. Also better inform them we no longer use cheques in the UK, the French seem to love them.

As you are coming my way I would have popped up to say hello but we be on your side of the water for a couple of months from the end of August.

14. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

There may be some fun members who want to buy euros and will give you sterling. You can use eur in some shops on UK, but I think the rate will not be good.

• Like Like x 1
  15. etap

etap

Telephone Thos Cook I always use them buying euros.

16. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Needs someone looking at buying a motorhome as a n import could swap the lot!!!

17. namwaldog

namwaldog Funster

Sounds like good motivation for an International Funsters Meet at Newhaven in September?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

What ever you do ,do NOT change on the ferry .They are the highway robbers .

• Like Like x 2
  19. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

I think you mean pirates.:D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. wanderer

wanderer Funster

There not buying but selling