exchange rates on line sellers (1 Viewer)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Ive been tasked with sorcing the Euros for our forth-coming family esapade into france and the local travel shops are offering under 1.3Euro to £.

The on line sellers do much better, but are they safe? can any body recomend a good one

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
its been a few years since I used any but have used several in the past depending on the rates being offered BUT have found that unless you are planning buying large amounts can get better (or as good rates) from local hole in the wall (depending what card you have) will try and check back and see who I used the last time

May 30, 2012
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
We used the Post Office last year, next day delivery to the local post office. Good rate and no problems.

Audrey

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Hi, I got my Euro's from the post office online, maybe not the best rate???? but I would of thought one of the safest, I bought 1 day and they were deliverd next morning by postman in van, so safe as safe can be I suppose, best of luck Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
the one I used was FairFX next day deliver after bank transfer
have checked a few rates

Fair FX 1.1375
ICICI 1.1343
M&S bank 1.1339
vida FX 1.1338
travel FX 1.1328 have also used them
post office 1.1228

above based on spending £750 all with free recorded delivery so as you can see not a great deal between any of them.
Rates change on a daily basis as I'm sure you know and these guys all just buy and sell currency so depends what rate they get at the time.
hope this helps

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
We used the Post Office last year, next day delivery to the local post office. Good rate and no problems.

Audrey

I'll second that, used then a few times and always got a good exchange, and I used home delivery, choose the day you want it and very prompt.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Ive been tasked with sorcing the Euros for our forth-coming family esapade into france and the local travel shops are offering under 1.3Euro to £.

The on line sellers do much better, but are they safe? can any body recomend a good one
Gee i can't remember when I last got 1.3 to the pound !!! :Eeek: go for it and tell me where !!!

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years

Hi This year we used the Co-op travel for Euros and also a pre paid cash card, the Euros on that came off at the purchase rate. Pete :thumb:

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Hi This year we used the Co-op travel for Euros and also a pre paid cash card, the Euros on that came off at the purchase rate. Pete :thumb:

I allways used to use Ilkeston coop travel and allways got really god rates but they were bought out last year and now are no beter (or worse) than the rest of high street, shame but there it is cut the competition and give less value....

I might just use my cards

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
I recommend The Currency Club, good rates and next day delivery. No problems and they txt and email you.

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
you've probably set off now but I would look at TransferWise.co.uk - new online approach I used them for a transfer for new van in Germany - excellent service and fees were neglible- though that was for a bank transfer, They are branching out and will do currency- cant recommend highly enough,

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I took €2000 euros from the ship before I left last week.

Our on-board rate was 1.19 so very happy with that, and no commissions whatsoever..
.:thumb:

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
you've probably set off now but I would look at TransferWise.co.uk - new online approach I used them for a transfer for new van in Germany - excellent service and fees were neglible- though that was for a bank transfer, They are branching out and will do currency- cant recommend highly enough,

no not just getting prepared:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I always just use a hole in the wall. I don't pay for much with cash these days, cards for everything if its more than 5€. You can get hit by fluctuations in the exchange rate, but have an equal chance of benefiting from them. Lots of supermarket fuel stations only take cards.

Strangely the French still seem to like cheques, many times I have waited ages in a supermarket while someone ahead of me fusses about writing a cheque and finding the multiple items of identification required. Never seen anyone pay by cheque in the UK, though solicitors like them. My last cheque book still had the 19.. printed on it for the date.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Use a Tesco Credit Card ,

if you use it for Euros etc through Tesco Travel Money , You don't get charged interest for the cash and they deliver to your door ( free ) , Usually better rate than the Post Office ,

You also get Tesco points on the transaction to collect for your Tesco vouchers which are worth 3 x voucher value when you exchange them for your Euro Tunnel Tickets . :Cool:

When i first bought a MH friend said get a Tesco card buy everything you can on it .
shopping , meals out even beer ...:Eeek: and get fuel at Tesco ( 4 points / £1 spent ) then use the vouchers for Euro Tunnel ,

I understand the Halifax are now doing a credit card that does not charge for its use at ATM.s abroad or for transactions , maybe worth having both cards :thumb:

Graham

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back