Excellent small jump start gadget. (1 Viewer)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Our moho had been sitting unloved & unused since the beginning of november. A situation that most of our fraternity find themselves in from time to time. Consequently the battery was flat (even though it was a brand new genuine Mercedes battery fitted last year) & required charging or jump starting. Now being of a lazy disposition I decided jump starting was the way to go. In the meantime I'd been browsing on Ebay & came up with a little gadget called a Noco Genius Boost. Could this tiny little box of tricks really jump start a cold idle diesel engine? The blurb states that this gadget will start an engine of up to 6 litres. It holds charge for months & can happily fit into the glove box of your moho, it can also do an emergency charge of most mobile phones when used with a USB lead. This all seemed like a tall order, but I ordered one & it was here the following day. Result, instant success! If this gadget has been tried & tested before, I do apologise but I was so impressed by it that I thought I'd share my experiences on this forum.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
The local car boot sale was selling a chinese version. I nearly bought one then thought better of it.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Errrm - not recommended for diesel, according to the manufacturer's website :(.

https://no.co/gb20
Gas Engine Rating
4.0 Liters
Diesel Engine Rating
Not Recommended

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
I'm AMAZED that worked :eek:

Not only from a compression point of view (diesel being much higher than petrol) but purely for the size of it, the gadget looks tiny?!

Interesting (y)

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Errrm - not recommended for diesel, according to the manufacturer's website :(.

https://no.co/gb20
Gas Engine Rating
4.0 Liters
Diesel Engine Rating
Not Recommended

I stand corrected, the one that I bought is a GB40 and the advert says as follows.....
Designed for use with gas engines up to 6 liters and diesel engines up to 3 liters and doubles as a portable power source for recharging smartphones, tablets and more.

Still a cool piece of kit.

I don't normally get the battery get run down, but been off my feet with a knee injury, so had only been using the car as the car is an auto. I couldn't even get into the Sprinter, just knocked her out of gear & spun her over, instant start.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I bought a similar gizmo from Amazon a while ago for £38.99. I have used it to start my car a few times and it has done the necessary with the motorhome too. I had to call out the AA to start the van a few weeks ago, the AA man said they are trialling similar gadgets at the moment then they will be on their vans.

Paul

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
The local car boot sale was selling a chinese version. I nearly bought one then thought better of it.
Is that the one you plug into the nearest lamp post? The traveling community use a lot of those. (y) Lamp posts, that is.(y)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I stand corrected, the one that I bought is a GB40 and the advert says as follows.....
Designed for use with gas engines up to 6 liters and diesel engines up to 3 liters and doubles as a portable power source for recharging smartphones, tablets and more.

Still a cool piece of kit
Yup, reading the bumpf, GB40 is apparently the one... glad that's what you actually got.
Always useful to know these gadgets work as advertised.

Did you get a good price on eBay?
A quick search "NoCo GB40" suggests £100+ and Amazon just under £100

Last edited:
OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Yup, reading the bumpf, GB40 is apparently the one... glad that's what you actually got.
Always useful to know these gadgets work as advertised.

Did you get a good price on eBay?
A quick search "NoCo GB40" suggests £100+ and Amazon just under £100

We paid around 80 quid for it with free delivery & it really was here by the following morning.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I'd say they are a compact bit of kit and as long as the engine fires up quickly great.. but they can't sustain prolonged cranking..
The ah figure will determine how much time you have if you know what the approx cranking current is for your engine... not the max cranking amps available from the unit but it's ah capacity..
Andy.

Andy.

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
I'd say they are a compact bit of kit and as long as the engine fires up quickly great.. but they can't sustain prolonged cranking.

That's what I was thinking. Reckon it'd crank for 30 seconds?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
That's what I was thinking. Reckon it'd crank for 30 seconds?

If you were drawing say 300A then cranking for 1 min would be 5ah.. so depending on the ah rating of the boosters you may gey a few min out of them... and they would most probably give up before been completely flat..
I've not got or used one but it seems they can be effective as long as you start easily.. as was mentioned a diesel will draw more current when cranking..
Andy..

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
We keep a couple, 1 in the Garage and 1 in Recovery Truck amazing kit
we have the GB70s

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
We keep a couple, 1 in the Garage and 1 in Recovery Truck amazing kit
we have the GB70s

Good to hear that you find this bit of kit useful too, it could become one of those invaluable items to have around. I'm going to treat us to another one, to keep one in the moho & one on the car. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back