Excellent App Search For Sites (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Not yet fully finished as an app but can try here with your mobile http://www.searchforsites.co.uk/webapp.php . Looks like website has been available for some time but app even better. Found our location & all the CL, CS, Nightstops, Britstops, wild camping, caravan sites etc from all the different organisations in one easily accessible place - absolutely excellent! (y) So good so far that we would pay to be able to access this info. when touring UK. Don't know how good European info. is but app still a work in progress.
Looks like this could all be a bit contentious unless the app owner has permissions in place but very useful for motorhomers & still need the relevent memberships to stay at some of the locations.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, Thanks looked at on laptop for france seems very good, I will later on apply app to my tablet and check it out.
Thanks again Terry

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Tried it with a couple of towns that we know and it misses out lots of campsites.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Tried it with a couple of towns that we know and it misses out lots of campsites.
That's a bit disappointing but does say that it is unfinished at the moment so hopefully will be sorted. Did you search in UK or Europe? We tried a few UK locations that we know well & found all plus more that we didn't know existed especially in our home area!

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Just tried Andover and South Shields, as you say there were a few that we had never heard of, but it missed out the two main campsites in Shields.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Similar results here. I suppose they can populate their database from sets published by other organisations to a certain extent (e.g. CLs) but obtaining details of independent sites and pub stops will be more difficult.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , Just put on my tablet , seems very good here on isle of wight, covers most of 5 van sites and c/sites on archies campings. I then put in Caen and it came up with about 30 aires and c/sites within 20 kms also click on site for info also its got googles little yellow man to take you right to the aire spot .
Very good , it will be handy in this country and France
Thanks again Terry

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Yep, as above. Some main sites not listed but others that I'd never heard of were, including some interesting stopovers.
Was interested to read on his website about the row that erupted between them and Motorhome Facts (from which he has been de-selected!) Facts were really miffed with him.

Overall, a nice idea when it's more complete. I registered with them as a 'guest' to see how it worked.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The "about" page is an interesting read ... re MHF... o_O
Interesting. Having been the victim of copyright infringement myself I can quite believe how unhappy the owners of copied databases may be - especially if they are databases which are only available to purchasers.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Not yet fully finished as an app but can try here with your mobile http://www.searchforsites.co.uk/webapp.php . Looks like website has been available for some time but app even better. Found our location & all the CL, CS, Nightstops, Britstops, wild camping, caravan sites etc from all the different organisations in one easily accessible place - absolutely excellent! (y) So good so far that we would pay to be able to access this info. when touring UK. Don't know how good European info. is but app still a work in progress.
Looks like this could all be a bit contentious unless the app owner has permissions in place but very useful for motorhomers & still need the relevent memberships to stay at some of the locations.[/QUOT

Got most of this on my motorhome snooper sat Navy.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Have just had a quick look and seems good but anyone able to work out the what the different colours are red5 green5 I'm maybe just thick !!!

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Have just had a quick look and seems good but anyone able to work out the what the different colours are red5 green5 I'm maybe just thick !!!
If you click the green/red marker it opens up with more info. Green are caravan club cl's , red are caravan & camping club cs's (y)

Assuming you are aware that these are each club's small 5 van only networks??:)

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Just seen message on Motorhome Sleepyspots Facebook page that this app is now live - will check it out later :)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Any App. that can find you an Aire when it's getting dark in a strange (to you )town, after a long day at the wheel is good by me.
All info. (so long as it's right) is fine by me. Knowledge is power.

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Thank you for this one-should be really good when fully developed

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just put a couple of places in that we know there are aires in france but not in any books and lo and behold it's got them(y):)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just registered, but no sign of an app just a map download, it looks as if you have to put the info in yourself, can't see that it's worth the effort when the map that comes up on the home page is good enough, unless someone else knows different.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Just registered, but no sign of an app just a map download, it looks as if you have to put the info in yourself, can't see that it's worth the effort when the map that comes up on the home page is good enough, unless someone else knows different.

Plus, presumably have to online to access the data when on the road? Have registered as well will have a play with it, as I have the three feel,at home plan, I have access in most countries we visit:)

davet

Free Member
Jan 14, 2015
Buckley
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks it's a great resource I can't find it in the App Store but have used the online version looks good and free !!.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Are they working on an app? Just looked for one and it don't seem to exist...odd that video heading says mobile web app, gives s false impression. anyway as said it will work in most countries we visit as we are on Three mobile....

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Ok described on website & MCC Facebook by the developer as an app that was under development then live but hadn't tried the live"app" version only the trial version & agree that it seems to be just a mobile friendly version of the website. Still think it is excellent though as a free resource :) If it was a true free app available on the app stores then think it would very popular but don't know how long it would last if it doesn't have all the relevant permissions.:whistle:

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
My large acer phone refuses to work with it on gps. Other apps do seemlesly. It would need to be able to identify where the phone is and find nearest stop to be practical for me. Long drive south, get tired , press a few buttons, directed to aire ...head down. That's what I do with sat nav that has loads of stuff loaded.

Personally think they should charge a few quid for it, get it developed professionally and release as a proper App. Installed ACSI same time last week and that works well...this potentially far more useful!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back