Free Member
May 7, 2017
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Autotail Chieftian
Exp
Hi All,

We looked today at a good looking van that's 12 months old and currently for sale by a well known rental company.
Are ex rentals good value? or should they be avoided?

It has higher than average miles but then is a commercial van base so 20k miles should be OK.
The van in question is a Rollerteam Zefiro 277 bunk bed model.

cheers
Ian

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
When we considered returning to motorhomes after an absence of four years we didn't want to commit to megapounds until we were sure. We bought a three year old ex-rental, with warranty, and kept it for 18 months. We only changed once we were sure that we still loved motorhoming.

"Above average mileage" doesn't really mean anything. Base vehicles are designed to do high mileages. It's the overall condition that matters.

If you like it, and can get a good warranty, there is little to fear.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
I think there's pros and cons..

Pros are that as a rental unit, it has probably had a greater number of nights occupancy than the average one year old MH. This means that anything that was likely to be a warranty repair has probably surfaced and been sorted.

Mileage isn't an issue, but might be worth checking that tyres (fronts in particular) are still good, and brake pads and discs themselves are still ok.

Con is that as a rental vehicle, people may not be as careful as they would if it was their own vehicle so condition of easily broken catches, blinds and so on would need to be checked out.

Also a lot of hirers aren't used to the size of the MH so be specially alert for scrapes and dings, particularly on the extremities including roof corners.

Ultimately if the price is right, everything should be fixable. It's not the van part that would give me any concerns, but the habitation area and bodywork would take up most of my time if I was looking at it.

Good luck!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Only ever hired two along while ago and the vans were a disgrace ,the state it was in had to be seen to believe and the second one I took back after after two days as all the weight was on the back end and the front wheels hardly touched the road and when it started raining I took it back .Be careful if you go down that road.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Our first was ex rental but they denied it at the time it was fine and kept its value fine but needed a bit of tlc

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
Our first one was an ex hire 42k on the clock came with everything you could of gone straight on holiday had 15 months of warranty left was in A1 condition, got it from Just Go really good price as well compared to other vehicles we were looking at others at higher prices but weren't a patch on the one we bought, it was a Rimor Think they do Rollerteam now, l have no affiliation with them just good company to deal with and spot on customer service.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back