Ex caravanner, jumping in the european deep end (1 Viewer)

JennyMG

Free Member
Jun 18, 2016
Bedford
Funster No
MH
A class - i think
Exp
Hi, my husband and I have been caravanning for 15-20 years. He's a keen mountain-biker and spends many weekends away with our son (now 14) at the races. So we've just stepped up and bought a motorhome to travel around a bit more easily.

Its a biggie, 7.1m long Home Car with a big garage at the back under our bed and an overhead cab for the young man. 8 years old an with a few gremlins that I might need some help with - like a fridge that doesn't get really cold and a damp patch - but it was a good price and we're not afraid of the work to tidy her up.

My biggest questions though are that we plan to tour europe in August. France to Germany to Italy for a world cup race. With the dog.

I can't get a clear answer from google, so I thought I'd ask here. Does anyone know if you have to put a dog in a crate to travel in any of the european countries, or is it just recommended like here? And have the muzzle laws in italy been relaxed, or does she definitely need one :( Our dog is not used to either muzzle or crate - in fact as she's a giant breed I'm not even sure a crate would fit in the van - so we're not keen on doing this but don't really want to leave her behind.

Any help greatly welcome!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I think the law in France states that dogs have to be restrained so that's either a crate or a harness and seat belt clip.
Folding crates available on EBay ( fabric as opposed to metal--- lighter and less rattly ) but you need the floor space for the size your dog needs-- plus you need to be able to put it up and down in the van!
Don't know anything about muzzle laws in Italy but I do know there's a " banned breed " list in France so check your dog's breed isn't on that.

And :pink: to Fun.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
help with - like a fridge that doesn't get really cold and a damp patch

Is that on 240v, 12v and Gas .. or just gas.. ?

If just on gas then a service will sort it to.. flue and jet cleaned.. if all three then it needs inspection by a service engineer..

Get the damp patch looked at asap.. it may be more serious than it looks.. and if left will only get worse..
water ingress is generally from a window seal, or body joint..

and welcome to Fun..

it will be worth paying £15 for full membership.. you will get an abundance of invaluable help and advice with all things motorhoming.

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
We also travel with two large dogs. My solution was a home made divider so that in the event of an emergency stop the dogs will only slide a few feet and no chance 0f 70+kgs of dog landing round my neck. Takes just a few minutes to install and gets stored under the van when on site.
IMG_0014.JPG

Jun 9, 2016
L'Isle Jourdain, 86150 France
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Just bought an Eriba FT 580
Italian Traffic Law article 169 (just the relevant bit for this situation)

"A single pet larger than 25kg must be either in the back in a special container or cage, or separated from the driver by a metal grille or other type of secure dog guard."

As for having a muzzle on your dog it is generally 'required' for public transport although the Italians tend to ignore it as they do most silly laws. In parks and streets I've seen plenty of dogs with muzzles attached to the lead but not on the dog. If you have one with you then you're probably ok - worst case you might get asked to use it. Italians love dogs - you can take him into restaurants and bars and generally they get treats, water, and fuss.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back