Ever get that sinking feeling ? (1 Viewer)

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
When i had the RV we towed our Jeep Grand Cherokee behind it on a USA A Frame (what i mean is the thing was built like a tank unlike the UK frames which would probably fold up under the strain!!!:cry:). We only ever got stuck once and the car was hitched up so we stuck the car in 4WD and used it to shove the RV off the field :Eeek::winky:

Worked a treat, but boy did we get some funny looks and a few comments :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hi, I'm a newbie and just wondered what thickness you decided upon. I cant work out whether the 50mm thickness ones would go under enough the front wheels to start the traction, does that make sense? Or have you gone for the thinner 25mm sand ladder ones?

Hi ya
I guess your first trip out will be this weekend then, if you've only had the MH 3 days ?
Enjoy it , fingers crossed it stays fine.
Make a check list till your use to your van . To double check before you set off.
As for the Sand dragger waffle boards.
We went for 1220x310x25 thick.
In Grey , to match the Graphics on the MH !!
25 is thick enough for what we want them for, we were told , plus although they are suppose to be light weight, it will keep it down that bit more.
They were £65.22 inc VAT( which we'll claim back ) delivered , hopefully for this weekend.

Philip ,
thanks for the heads up about the glass chippings, good for the tyre grip , but not the manicure:winky:
Bev

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Sandboards thickness

Hi ya
I guess your first trip out will be this weekend then, if you've only had the MH 3 days ?
Enjoy it , fingers crossed it stays fine.

Well its a good point, I wasnt sure whether i was being a true motorhomer the first day I drove it home, or whether I would only be classed a motorhomer the first day I used it in action. I used it last Saturday/Sunday for the first time so thought I was a 3 day motorhomer, today Ive become a 4th day motorhome user, cant wait to get to a week! Ill be trying to get out over Easter in it, but not in a grassy field by the looks of the weather :cry:. Would like the comfort of having those sandboard thingies...

Make a check list till your use to your van . To double check before you set off.

I did download one such checklist but think it was for a fulltimer. Ive got most of the essentials on board i.e. toilet roll, bedding, tea bags, soap, emergency pot noodle(s) & misses (all that in priority order)

As for the Sand dragger waffle boards.
We went for 1220x310x25 thick.
In Grey , to match the Graphics on the MH !!
25 is thick enough for what we want them for, we were told , plus although they are suppose to be light weight, it will keep it down that bit more.
They were £65.22 inc VAT( which we'll claim back ) delivered , hopefully for this weekend.

Thanks for this, wasnt sure if I needed thicker ones as need to support motorhome rather than a 4x4. Ill buy the 25 thick ones, but dont think ill have them in time for Easter weekend:Doh:
Philip ,
thanks for the heads up about the glass chippings, good for the tyre grip , but not the manicure:winky:
Bev

Same thanks from me as well

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Well the sand ladders have just arrived , by courier.
They are quite heavy , even at 25 mm , and the top side of the waffle board is very rough and grippy.
Looks like we are in for a very boggy Easter weekend. :cry:
Hope no one gets stuck anywhere , and if they do i hope someones around to help them out.
Bev

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
Try these...http://www.garlandproducts.com/ They are normally used for temporary garden paths but will take a motorhome on soft surfaces.
Each pack will make up two six foot lengths, cost about £20 a pack.

I carry two sets on my bike rack they fold quite well and weigh little. With two sets I can travel any distance across soft ground by placing them in front and then moving the rear set to the front and so on.
I think these garden tracks are now £38.75 for 303cm (120") Long 39cm (15.5") Wide 2cm (1") High

Tracmat Sand Ladders are £42. 1000 x 310 x 25mm - (1 Pair)

Safe Tread Sand Ladders are £70 for a pair

Then again, these take up a fair amount of space. 5 cm tall (for a pair), 1 meter long, 31 cm wide. Not sure if I really need them for my kind of camping.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
This is an old old post but just in case anyone is interested we carry two of these.
http://tracmat.com/index.php?id_product=15&controller=product
Won't fly out from under your (spinning?) wheels, handle a 6.5 ton MH no problem although they have mainly been used on loan by tuggers for extricating their caravans. They will deform to bridge dips in the ground, will reshape to original flat profile on load removal, have amazing grip and at £48 are an absolute bargain.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The ones we've decided to go for are these.
www.tracmat.com

They are very similar to the ones you have Philip , in looks and price.
Made from very strong waffle board.
We agree with the fiamma ones being rubbish.
Very thin, slippy when wet, neither use nor ornament I.M.O.
Surprised Fiamma put there name to them really.
May as well get something we know will work, and it saves having to rely on someone to pull you off.
They are used by land-rovers to cross ditches off roading. So they are strong and hard wearing .
As they are like the bread trays (waffle like) they will sink in a bit , and not fire out once you set off.
We've ordered some tonight. Should get them for the weekend. Looks like we will need them. Going to York.
I've had a couple of those for the past 5 years. I've found it's enough to threaten the van with them - haven't used them yet :).

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Those expensive sand ladders ended up getting melted in a fire at Ralph’s lockup BTW .
Not intentionally, I may add , the whole thing went up when some scrote set fire to onea bit further down.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
M+S tyres (not M&S) we find they provide much better traction than normal Campers. wear and noise levels are also beer on the road.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back