Ever get that sinking feeling ? (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
After having to be towed off wet grass last weekend by a friendly tugger , we've decided we need to do something about it.:Blush:
Fortunately we had a proper tow rope etc with us, we've pulled a few MH off grass with our Terrano , when we had a caravan.
So knew it was a potential problem.

We manage to get off most weekends and prefer small cl sites or rallies. These tend to be on grass. Which is fine , as we all know , as long as the weather is:RollEyes:

We read on here , and various other places , that lots of motorhomers use bread trays to park on grass.
Well since getting our MH in December 09 we've been on the look out for some , to no avail. We've asked a couple of shops when we've seen them stacked up out side , if we can buy/have a couple. Each time we've been told they belong to the bread manufacturers.
Anyway...
What else , apart from bread trays , do you other members use to stop sinking into soft ground.
Ralph's thinking about buying some Sand Dragger's , i think they are called , it could be ladders now i think of it.
Maybe getting 2 long lengths and splitting them so he can put 1 under each wheel. Has anyone used these?
Thanks for your input
Bev

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Going to repeat it :) Bread trays. Yes they belong to the breadmakers, but round here at least, they are very often found dumped randomly, such as on the canal and/or industrial estates. (We do a lot of running and see them out and about rather than go looking for them!)

One tray will cut into 4 pieces and is perfect.

Best thing apart from that - is get some Snow & Mud tyres....

(otherwise a long roll of carpet but thats difficult to store ;) )

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I agree about the bread trays being best, but the baker won't give or sell, try the recycling depots

Alternatively, look for cheap rubber doormats at the pound shop.. two or more can be 'tie wrapped' together to make a longer run .. and they roll up quite tidily

this sort of style

doormat2.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I agree about the bread trays being best, but the baker won't give or sell, try the recycling depots

Alternatively, look for cheap rubber doormats at the pound shop.. two or more can be 'tie wrapped' together to make a longer run .. and they roll up quite tidily

this sort of style

doormat2.jpg

Jim Reckon the shoes help with grip as well :ROFLMAO:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We go to ralleys on wet grass quiet often, so I am always worried about getting stuck.

I now have six bread-crate bases (found four of them in a skip, not telling you where I got the other two from :Smile:) they do help a lot and I always park on them when on wet grass so the van does not sink over the weekend, normally then you can drive straight off and dont stop on the grass.

I have also got some snow chains, they are a bit messy to use in mud but they make a huge difference. I have used them 3 times now and with only a tick-over have driven of some very wet fields

Old carpet is also met to help?

Rich...

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Larrynwin - both air-conditioned, too...

Desco - If they are lethal, are you the first Funster really communicating from the other side? It's a killer...

Seriously, don't make a bad situation worse by spinning your wheels in frustration, you'll only dig in deeper. If you're in a hole, stop digging. Its sometimes possible to get out from the immediate problem by going backwards, with some ouside help.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Desco - If they are lethal, are you the first Funster really communicating from the other side? It's a killer...

No not really but where it hit me it felt like it at the time.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
There are these if you want to be posh :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Fiamma Wheel Anti Slip Grip Mats

The door mats from a pound shop sounds cheaper

Peter

They are not worth the money Peter, they are as useless as putting yesterdays Daily Mirror underneath in fact you might get more grip from the newspaper. I would be ashamed to even offer them for sale.
I use a couple of hard rubber mats bought in a Chinese shop for 1 euro each in Portugal, they link together to make a chain with lugs underneath that dig in.

RD

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
They are not worth the money Peter, they are as useless as putting yesterdays Daily Mirror underneath in fact you might get more grip from the newspaper. I would be ashamed to even offer them for sale.
I use a couple of hard rubber mats bought in a Chinese shop for 1 euro each in Portugal, they link together to make a chain with lugs underneath that dig in.

RD

Is that 2 number 25 and 2 flied lice :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wintonian

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The big problem with anything made of rubber is that water is one of the best lubricants for rubber. Dry tyres on dry rubber will give great grip, but put water on there and you will just spin the wheels. (This is why you are more likely to get a puncture in the wet - objects slide into the rubber tyre more easily than when it is dry!):Doh:

And a large surface area is what is needed to stop the tyre sinking into a soft surface. So a rubber mat that is full of holes is not at all ideal.

The waffle boards, despite having a lot of holes, are semi-rigid (unlike rubber mats, which are anything but rigid!) and float better on soft surfaces - even soft sand - because the spread the load over their full area.:thumb:

They may take the weight of a Land Rover Defender for bridging a ditch, but most Motor Homes will be far too havy for that!

As someone else said, it is usually best to reverse out of a "stuck" situation, and don't spin the wheels.

If you intend to spend a lot of your time parking on grass (which may turn wet and boggy after you have arrived) fit decent all-terrain tyres to the driving wheels.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
They may take the weight of a Land Rover Defender for bridging a ditch, but most Motor Homes will be far too heavy for that!.

My comment about bridging was entirely 'tongue-in-cheek' - perhaps I should have made that clearer. I would not risk over 1 tonne per wheel on them across an unsupported ditch.
I presume your advice about reversing out of a problem assumes a front-wheel drive vehicle? With RWD I try not to go backwards through mud.

Philip

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
there we go again....I have just have to be dragged off (thankfully site owner had a tractor as we are 4 tons) again. email has been sent to the frim selling the ex MOD recovery mats and I am also looking out for some bread trays. The origional wicnch idea has gone by the board since it relies on either having somnething solid to connect to or a ground anchor and I think most site owb=nwers might just take exeption to on of them....

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

RD

I was actually taking the mickey out of them!

Peter

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Jeanluc, it applies to both fwd and rwd. You've dug the hole going forwards, which means the slope at the back of the hole, from the vehicle's point of view, is a more shallow angle tnan the front. This the front slope is steeper, and may even be higher.

Whether it's the front or rear wheels doesn't matter.

It's S.O.P in the forces, and they are more used to getting in a mess than we are, so they are better getting out of one!

BTW, Peter, do I detect a Chinese in your armour?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Jeanluc, it applies to both fwd and rwd. You've dug the hole going forwards, which means the slope at the back of the hole, from the vehicle's point of view, is a more shallow angle tnan the front. This the front slope is steeper, and may even be higher.

Whether it's the front or rear wheels doesn't matter.

It's S.O.P in the forces, and they are more used to getting in a mess than we are, so they are better getting out of one!

BTW, Peter, do I detect a Chinese in your armour?

Yes, I agree with that, and realised after I had posted that my earlier response could seem illogical and mislead. I was thinking about guys with Ducato-based vans having to reverse up damp grassy slopes in order to get traction, rather than reversing out of a trough you have already got yourself into. In the latter case, you are of course, correct - when in a hole, stop digging and back out.

Philip

Wintonian

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Damp, grassy slopes are possibly the worst! And steep slopes with long dry grass. I have been unable to get any grip on the latter in a Land Rover Series III with very aggressive Goodyear G90 tyres on. So a normal vehicle with road tyres should just look for a tow from someone on a decent surface. For that reason a good multi-plait rope with a spliced eye and a large D shackle is a very useful bit of kit to carry. And a girl with long legs and a short skirt!:winky:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Try these...http://www.garlandproducts.com/ They are normally used for temporary garden paths but will take a motorhome on soft surfaces.
Each pack will make up two six foot lengths, cost about £20 a pack.

I carry two sets on my bike rack they fold quite well and weigh little. With two sets I can travel any distance across soft ground by placing them in front and then moving the rear set to the front and so on.

cyclingdoglucy

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
retired vehicle
Exp
retired 4 months
m/h wheel trays ??????????

:Cool:hi bev.
like you i have been looking for 2 yrs or more & it was my lucky day to-day , i found 2 to-day, so i am chuffed , just keep looking & they may turn up.
regards.
mr bean:winky:

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Bev,

I use these http://www.duratread.co.uk/sand_bridging_ladders.html

Not cheap, I think I paid about £60, and they're a bit heavy, but they are very strong - I guess you could use them to cross a ditch (but I'm in no rush to test that).

Philip

The ones we've decided to go for are these.
www.tracmat.com

They are very similar to the ones you have Philip , in looks and price.
Made from very strong waffle board.
We agree with the fiamma ones being rubbish.
Very thin, slippy when wet, neither use nor ornament I.M.O.
Surprised Fiamma put there name to them really.
May as well get something we know will work, and it saves having to rely on someone to pull you off.
They are used by land-rovers to cross ditches off roading. So they are strong and hard wearing .
As they are like the bread trays (waffle like) they will sink in a bit , and not fire out once you set off.
We've ordered some tonight. Should get them for the weekend. Looks like we will need them. Going to York.

teensvan

Free Member
Jul 25, 2009
Fulltime in Motorhome
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi

I have not read all the posts but old carpet the type they used up the stairs is very good. We have some plastic style matting that is used for parking on grass at outdoor events. We have 6 strips 1 foot wide and 7 foot long. This lets us drive over it like a tank track. It is very light each strip is less tha 1kg. Do o google serch for outdoor tempary parking. It may take some time.

steve & ann. ---------- teensvan

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Which thickness?

The ones we've decided to go for are these.
www.tracmat.com

They are very similar to the ones you have Philip , in looks and price.
Made from very strong waffle board.
We agree with the fiamma ones being rubbish.
Very thin, slippy when wet, neither use nor ornament I.M.O.
Surprised Fiamma put there name to them really.
May as well get something we know will work, and it saves having to rely on someone to pull you off.
They are used by land-rovers to cross ditches off roading. So they are strong and hard wearing .
As they are like the bread trays (waffle like) they will sink in a bit , and not fire out once you set off.
We've ordered some tonight. Should get them for the weekend. Looks like we will need them. Going to York.

Hi, im a newbie and just wondered what thickness you decided upon. I cant work out whether the 50mm thickness ones would go under enough the front wheels to start the traction, does that make sense? Or have you gone for the thinner 25mm sand ladder ones?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
There are these interlocking floor tiles £10 gets you a 1 metre length for each wheel and you can move from one to another.

No doubt cheaper in a pound shop or Costco at one time I remember. Kampa Easy lock Locking Tiles Tyre Grip Mats

The Fiamma ones need pegging to stop theem slipping but at the end of the day bread trays are the cheapest.

Peter

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Hi, im a newbie and just wondered what thickness you decided upon. I cant work out whether the 50mm thickness ones would go under enough the front wheels to start the traction, does that make sense? Or have you gone for the thinner 25mm sand ladder ones?

You certainly do not need 50mm. 25mm would do but I went for the 38mm version as the supplier I used had these available off the shelf at the time.

Philip

p.s. to you and Bev, take care when using them. The impregnated non-slip surface is made from glass-like chippings and they can cut your fingers. They will definitely not slip under the wheels!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back