Ever get that sinking feeling ?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Ralph-n-Bev, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

After having to be towed off wet grass last weekend by a friendly tugger , we've decided we need to do something about it.:Blush:
    Fortunately we had a proper tow rope etc with us, we've pulled a few MH off grass with our Terrano , when we had a caravan.
    So knew it was a potential problem.

We manage to get off most weekends and prefer small cl sites or rallies. These tend to be on grass. Which is fine , as we all know , as long as the weather is:RollEyes:

We read on here , and various other places , that lots of motorhomers use bread trays to park on grass.
    Well since getting our MH in December 09 we've been on the look out for some , to no avail. We've asked a couple of shops when we've seen them stacked up out side , if we can buy/have a couple. Each time we've been told they belong to the bread manufacturers.
    Anyway...
    What else , apart from bread trays , do you other members use to stop sinking into soft ground.
    Ralph's thinking about buying some Sand Dragger's , i think they are called , it could be ladders now i think of it.
    Maybe getting 2 long lengths and splitting them so he can put 1 under each wheel. Has anyone used these?
    Thanks for your input
    Bev

2. activecampers

activecampers Read Only Funster

Going to repeat it :) Bread trays. Yes they belong to the breadmakers, but round here at least, they are very often found dumped randomly, such as on the canal and/or industrial estates. (We do a lot of running and see them out and about rather than go looking for them!)

One tray will cut into 4 pieces and is perfect.

Best thing apart from that - is get some Snow & Mud tyres....

(otherwise a long roll of carpet but thats difficult to store ;) )

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I agree about the bread trays being best, but the baker won't give or sell, try the recycling depots

Alternatively, look for cheap rubber doormats at the pound shop.. two or more can be 'tie wrapped' together to make a longer run .. and they roll up quite tidily

this sort of style

[​IMG]

4. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Jim Reckon the shoes help with grip as well :Rofl1:

5. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

6. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Hi Peter

One of those shot out from under a wheel can be lethal, as I found to my cost while trying to help someone.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

7. RichardnGill

RichardnGill Read Only Funster

We go to ralleys on wet grass quiet often, so I am always worried about getting stuck.

I now have six bread-crate bases (found four of them in a skip, not telling you where I got the other two from :Smile:) they do help a lot and I always park on them when on wet grass so the van does not sink over the weekend, normally then you can drive straight off and dont stop on the grass.

I have also got some snow chains, they are a bit messy to use in mud but they make a huge difference. I have used them 3 times now and with only a tick-over have driven of some very wet fields

Old carpet is also met to help?

Rich...

8. imprint

imprint Read Only Funster

Larrynwin - both air-conditioned, too...

Desco - If they are lethal, are you the first Funster really communicating from the other side? It's a killer...

Seriously, don't make a bad situation worse by spinning your wheels in frustration, you'll only dig in deeper. If you're in a hole, stop digging. Its sometimes possible to get out from the immediate problem by going backwards, with some ouside help.

9. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

No not really but where it hit me it felt like it at the time.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

10. smifee

smifee Read Only Funster

I use 'Grip-Track'. www.griptrack.net

I wildcamp on my own usually miles from anywhere so not much help around. Has got me out twice so far.

11. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

12. Funnymunny

Funnymunny Read Only Funster

They are not worth the money Peter, they are as useless as putting yesterdays Daily Mirror underneath in fact you might get more grip from the newspaper. I would be ashamed to even offer them for sale.
    I use a couple of hard rubber mats bought in a Chinese shop for 1 euro each in Portugal, they link together to make a chain with lugs underneath that dig in.

RD

13. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Is that 2 number 25 and 2 flied lice :Rofl1::Rofl1:

14. Wintonian

Wintonian Read Only Funster

The big problem with anything made of rubber is that water is one of the best lubricants for rubber. Dry tyres on dry rubber will give great grip, but put water on there and you will just spin the wheels. (This is why you are more likely to get a puncture in the wet - objects slide into the rubber tyre more easily than when it is dry!):Doh:

And a large surface area is what is needed to stop the tyre sinking into a soft surface. So a rubber mat that is full of holes is not at all ideal.

The waffle boards, despite having a lot of holes, are semi-rigid (unlike rubber mats, which are anything but rigid!) and float better on soft surfaces - even soft sand - because the spread the load over their full area.:thumb:

They may take the weight of a Land Rover Defender for bridging a ditch, but most Motor Homes will be far too havy for that!

As someone else said, it is usually best to reverse out of a "stuck" situation, and don't spin the wheels.

If you intend to spend a lot of your time parking on grass (which may turn wet and boggy after you have arrived) fit decent all-terrain tyres to the driving wheels.

15. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

My comment about bridging was entirely 'tongue-in-cheek' - perhaps I should have made that clearer. I would not risk over 1 tonne per wheel on them across an unsupported ditch.
    I presume your advice about reversing out of a problem assumes a front-wheel drive vehicle? With RWD I try not to go backwards through mud.

Philip

16. wireman

wireman Read Only Funster

there we go again....I have just have to be dragged off (thankfully site owner had a tractor as we are 4 tons) again. email has been sent to the frim selling the ex MOD recovery mats and I am also looking out for some bread trays. The origional wicnch idea has gone by the board since it relies on either having somnething solid to connect to or a ground anchor and I think most site owb=nwers might just take exeption to on of them....

17. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

I was actually taking the mickey out of them!

Peter

18. imprint

imprint Read Only Funster

Jeanluc, it applies to both fwd and rwd. You've dug the hole going forwards, which means the slope at the back of the hole, from the vehicle's point of view, is a more shallow angle tnan the front. This the front slope is steeper, and may even be higher.

Whether it's the front or rear wheels doesn't matter.

It's S.O.P in the forces, and they are more used to getting in a mess than we are, so they are better getting out of one!

BTW, Peter, do I detect a Chink in your armour?

19. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Yes, I agree with that, and realised after I had posted that my earlier response could seem illogical and mislead. I was thinking about guys with Ducato-based vans having to reverse up damp grassy slopes in order to get traction, rather than reversing out of a trough you have already got yourself into. In the latter case, you are of course, correct - when in a hole, stop digging and back out.

Philip

20. Wintonian

Wintonian Read Only Funster

Damp, grassy slopes are possibly the worst! And steep slopes with long dry grass. I have been unable to get any grip on the latter in a Land Rover Series III with very aggressive Goodyear G90 tyres on. So a normal vehicle with road tyres should just look for a tow from someone on a decent surface. For that reason a good multi-plait rope with a spliced eye and a large D shackle is a very useful bit of kit to carry. And a girl with long legs and a short skirt!:Wink: