Ever experienced anything like this?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by GAVLAD, Oct 8, 2016.

1. GAVLAD

GAVLAD Funster

Our friends are on the Camping & Caravan Club rally at Bolton Abbey, North Yorks and as it's near to us, we thought we'd catch up with them for an hour and have a brew. Armed with buns & cakes, we followed the directions and found the rally field at the rear of the Bolton Abbey main car park with access through a gate into the rally field from this car park.

Turning off the main road into the car park, there's a car park booth/shed like you find at most National Trust/Stately Home type venues.
    We were greeted by the frosty lady who said '£8.00 please'.

I said, 'We're here to meet with friends on the Camping & Caravan Club rally in the field over there'

'That will be £8 please' was her reply.

'No, I don't want to park in the main car park or visit the Abbey, I'm visiting some friends in the rally field and will park next to their van'.

'It's £8 to enter' came the reply.

'But it's 3 o'clock and I'm only planning on staying an hour and I'm not even parking in your car park. I'm not paying eight quid to park up in a field'.

'Well you're not coming in then'

By this time, our friends had realised we had arrived and phoned to say where their van was. I told them that unless we paid £8 to transit through the car park - which I was refusing to, that we couldn't come in.

By this stage, another car had pulled up to queue behind us.
    The frosty cow in her bubble booth told us to either pay and that we couldn't stop where we was.

I asked 'can I park over there in one of the many vacant spaces whilst my friend came and collected some cakes from us?'

'Yes, if you pay £8'

'I'm not paying £8 to deliver some buns'

'Well you'll have to go park on the road then' (double yellow lines)

I phoned our friends and told them that we couldn't even wait whilst they walked the 100 metres to us to collect the cakes we'd bought them.
    We ended up leaving.
    Fortunately, we managed to find somewhere to park and walked 20mins back to where the rally field was.
    The air was blue when we walked passed Miss Frosty knickers but as we had our toddler with us, (who's taken to repeating everything) we just glared as we passed.

Our friends paid £9 for 3 days in the rally field with C&CC.
    Bolton Abbey Estates wanted to charge £8 to park for an hour or £8 to deliver some cakes or £8 to transit their car park to gain access to the rally field.

I appreciate that car parking is a good source of income to such places but talk about an unhelpful and inflexible approach to customer service.
    I'm not tight, but I refuse to be ripped off.
    Don't think we'll be heading back. Still feeling pi**ed off about this.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

That's Yorkshire for you.....tight as a ducks arse. :LOL:

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Badknee

Badknee Funster

I would put that down to her being a jobsworth. Got your friends to look after your toddler then gone over to give her a piece of your mind....... The piece you keep in the knuckles of your right hand ;):LOL::LOL::LOL:

• Funny Funny x 6
  4. movan

movan Funster Life Member

I think I'd have done a wheelie round the car park.. then stopped and when she came over done it again ... and again.. and again.. childish but not as childish as her .. I'm annoyed and I wasn't there. !!!!!

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

so if you had been in your MH on your way to the rally would she just have waved you past?

or did they have a different way in? that would at least then make some sense (y)

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. BobtheBass

BobtheBass Funster

We live in a 100% rip off society where it seems pretty much everyone tries to screw every last penny they can from any opportunity that comes their way. When was the last time a tradesman gave you a proper quote for a job based on the hours he would take and the materials he would use? Everyone I have dealt with (except friends) in the last few years simply thinks of the highest number he would like to get away with and bugger honesty and reasonableness. I had my fascias replaced a few months back, and asked a very nice local chap who had done my neighbours house a few weeks before to quote. He quoted exactly double for the same job on the same type of house as he didn't know I knew how much my neighbour had paid. He just looked at the new Carthago in the drive and thought this guy looks reasonably well off, how much can I screw him for? Local Authorities are all at it as well. Evesham doubled their car parking charges when there was a big fishing festival in town a few weeks ago, and I paid £3 for a paper cup of hot coffee coloured water which I threw away in disgust. It's such a pleasure to spend time in France where things seem a little more in control, unlike here where a reasonable price for a reasonable job or service seems to be an unknown phrase for many. Rant over, but I could go on, it's a subject I feel strongly about.

• Like Like x 24
  7. GAVLAD

GAVLAD Funster

I asked my friend how they got into the rally field and he confirmed it was via the car park - one way in and same way out.

8. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

i would just say"im on the rally field" and drive on. by the time the miserable old bag had got anyone to do anything you would be long gone

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Baldeagle7470

Baldeagle7470 Funster

I am currently having a pair of heavy rusty metal gates replaced by new on our very old french house.I need two enormous oak posts putting on to the stone first to,support the gates.
    The guy doing this has a siret number so all legal.
    He arrives on time,has his cuppa,works for a while and then stops for a smoke and chat to the Mrs. On the phone,not once but loads of times a day.We agreed a day work rate at the beginning as he is a good worker normally.I certainly shall not do that again.
    We have been ripped of loads of times recently in different ways,not good.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. big map

big map Funster Life Member

I would write to the coo of chatsworth settlement trustees and leave a poor review on trip advisor.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

frowned_1024x1024.jpg

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  12. iandsm

iandsm Funster

It wasn't the Estste that was being unreasonable and inflexible, it was the lady in question. Could you have simply just driven past her a short way to avoid stopping others entry then gone to her and told her to get a supervisor who could have perhaps been more flexible.

Have you written a letter of complaint setting out what happened. If not, you should, she needs some management advice.

13. Candapack

Candapack Funster

Not excusing it, but by 3pm she could already have spent a few hours taking dog's abuse from many of the people she was relieving of £8 for parking.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

If she was looking after my car park she would get a medal
    Interesting post complaining about folk who do a good job and those that dont
    How does that work ?

• Like Like x 4
  15. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Totally agree .lovely county but blxxdy expensive to see or do anything remotely chargeable...

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

+1

17. MicknPat

MicknPat Funster

Geo, are you? [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. busby

busby Funster

You should have driven past and ignored her,,,,BUSBY,,

• Like Like x 2
  19. GAVLAD

GAVLAD Funster

How do you make that out?
    Do you think that the lady in question was being reasonable in not allowing someone to transit a car park to get to a rally field or even wait two minutes whilst someone collected something?

• Like Like x 2
  20. GAVLAD

GAVLAD Funster