Even I need help now and then SPARKY

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by slobadoberbob, May 3, 2012.

1. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

I have an RV as all you know.... I have lost my 230v side.

OK for those with an RV... they will know what I am on about....

The 230v mains goes into the RV and arrives at the transformer... It then I presumes steps down to 110v .. I have power to the fridge, the micro wave and the Sterling Combi Charger / investor, which is on the 110v side.

The trip switch has gone down (live is up in a yank) .. the 110v is OK but it it keeps tripping out... as it is on EHU to the house the house blows.

I have tried a second mains cable and it still happens.. there are no inline fuses I can see just the wires in and out of the transformer.. the trip on the side of the transformer is OK and the second RCD type switch turns everything off when it an attempt to push the switch to on...

Any ideas please...

Worked OK when I was at Star Spangled Spanner as I was connected to the mains and had the TV on and was charging my apple Mac via the 230v floor plug.

Help please...

Bob

2. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Have you posted on RVOC?

3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

have you tried pushing the trip down first before pushing it up, as some versions need this to reset

if its your house supply tripping on the ring main, that can be a symptom of the 110v transformer starting to fail, showing as earth leakage. try turning everything off in the RV and plugging in. Then turn one thing at a time back on till it trips. this will indicate the area of the fault

4. slobadoberbob

It is tripping the house

It is tripping the house as soon as anything is turned on in the RV.. the 110v side of the transform is working OK.. but as soon as a 230v socket (any is activated then it cuts out everything).....

As I said it was fine at Lincoln and all it has done since is had it's MOT and travelled home.. it was when Sue went to plug the 230v hover in that everything tripped.

It just seems to go as soon as the RCD switch is activated.??????

Bob

5. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

have you been parked up anywere wet lately?could be damp,as RV's suffer with damp electrics as they are not built to very high spec like a proper euro van/motorhome:Smile:

• Like Like x 8
  6. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

:reel::reel:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Sounds like the transformer is kaput Bob.

8. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Or have you been using any fast charging equipment such as little petrol engined alternators
    Completely bugger up 240v systems they do:Doh::Doh:

9. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

could be one of these,slowly chewing his way through your RV:Rofl1:

Attached Files:

• rat.jpg
      rat.jpg
      File size:
      53.9 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. slobadoberbob

no Geo ... just mains or the genny

Just mains via the Sterling or the RV genny.

Bob:Blush:

11. slobadoberbob

Have 110v via the transformer JIM

I have 110 v via the transformer ... fridge / microwave / and the Sterling works.....

But none of the 230v sockets works... the RCD type switches if moved from the off position just trip and knock out the house EHU.. I cannot power anything. Even the Sterling will not power the electrics.. just charging the batteries but at a lower voltage than normal?

Could it be my Sterling that is causing the problems?

Duncan - Star Spangled Spanner felt that the transform would be receiving 230v (as it is from the EHU) and dropping it down to 110V

I have the RV booked in to VanBitz next Thursday for the Alarm issues I have but they have no workshop time to have a look at the issue for me.

Can anyone recommend a company or someone in the South that may be able to resolve the issue for me?

Bob

Bob

12. pepper386

pepper386 Funster

Hi Bob I had same problem as that and its was the transformer, as soon as I switched any thing on 230v it blew the r c d, I switched everything off 110 then operated 230 & it was OK
    hope this helps

regards
    tony

13. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

its worse than that! its dead jim:Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

The only advice i can give you bob is that it is broken:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

15. slobadoberbob

so did you have to change the transformer

So Tony did you have to change the transformer? I have the fridge on 110v and the microwave is also 110v are you suggesting I unplug those and switch back to 230v?

Or not question is where do I get a 230v / 110v transformer fitted in the South?

Bob

16. pepper386

pepper386 Funster

Sorry Bob, yes I had to have a new transformer, got from Alec at Calder lessure and fitted it myself, sorry dont know any one in the south who could help you,
    hope this is of help
    regards
    tony

17. slobadoberbob

thank you

Thank you Tony.. may give Alex a call tomorrow.. I was advised to contact Airlink Transformers.. in Harlow Essex and they do up or down at up to 4,000 watts.. (3,000 watts is £170.00 with wires going inside).... I presume I need 3,000 as I have a fridge/freezer and the aircon is 2kw and the microwave is 1700 watts start up and the Sterling is 1700 watts... I presume it is 230v to 110v

Do you know what sort of watts you had to get?

Bob

18. Gromett

Gromett Funster

If you do go for a new transformer please note Transformers are rated in VA which is not quite the same as Watts. You will need to speak to someone who knows their stuff to ensure you get one rated high enough (or read the label on the existing one)

If it is when you switch 240V sockets on that the trip goes. But everything is ok on the 110V side it suggests that it is not the Transformer but something on the 240V side. I am not familiar with your vehicle but from what you describe

Mains comes into the van to a breaker. It then splits off with one side going to a 240->110V step down transformer and the other part going to a 240V distribution panel.

Is your fridge working ok on 110V and it is only when you turn the breaker on the 240v side that the house trip goes?

If I have assumed correctly then you need to unplug all 240V gear then try to turn it on. If this still trips then it is a problem with the wiring somewhere shouldn't be hard to track down. If it doesn't trip then it is a piece of 240V equipment. Turn these on one at a time until the trip goes.

PS: isolate any 240V gear that is not plugged into sockets as well. For example if you have a 240V fast charger make sure this is not connected before the test.

• Like Like x 3
  19. pepper386

pepper386 Funster

Hi I just got the one that they fit to the 5ivers at Calder, I spoke to other suppliers but could not help at that time

tony

20. slobadoberbob

thanks Tony & Gromet and Alex of Calders

Thanks Gromet and Tony and Alex of Calder...

I telephoned Alex on his mobile at home and as usual Alex has been very helpful.. he confirms Gromets view 100%... Alex suggests I check the slide out (that was put out today for cleaning) also he has talked me through some checks to do where the transformer is.. he says if I have 110v then it is unlikely to be the transformer.. so... tomorrow Sue will take some photos of the area for me as it is in a cupboard (well below) just inside the RV and I cannot balance long enough (on the one leg .. which has a shot knee) .. but I have got someone (friend of Sue's at work.. her son) to come over on Saturday and start hunting the wiring for me while I use the photo' Sue will take and email to the IPAD so I can at least tell the chap where to look and what to undo...

Alex gets his from the Airlink .. he suggested it would be a 4,000 unit. But at this stage I will hunt the wiring before I go to Harlow and get a new transformer.. But thanks to all for the suggestions and the idiot that joined in.. still need them to help keep my spirits up.. following on from Peterborough I have had not a good week. ... anyone want to buy a well cared for Winnebgago:cry::Doh::Sad:.. but that is the way I feel at the moment. Getting to old for this crawling all over the RV.

But tomorrow is another day.... but it will be Saturday before I get a chance to have a proper look as I have interviews to conduct tomorrow for the housing association... oh joy.

But thanks one and all... let you know when it is fixed.

Bob

• Like Like x 2