LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
I'm not understanding how a human being can clasp his hands on minimum workings under a van and hold on for an hour ? The exhaust wld surely get hot or drop off. What else can they hold on too and wldn't they have hurt their backs on the tarmac ? We're travelling back in 2 weeks, but to be honest, this stuff has been going on years, it's just that it's now topical. Surprised the road cams haven't picked up the footage and broadcast it. It was rampant, dangerous, 'false widow' spiders a few months ago....... which are relatively harmless btw.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
are you saying this cant be done this has been said and proven not to be the case its happening

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
are you saying this cant be done this has been said and proven not to be the case its happening
I beg your pardon ? You could try reading my post ! It's asking questions, not stating it can't be done.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Interesting….the situation sounds horrendous!

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
i have read it and it looks like a statement to me

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Interesting. Off to France tomorrow in a car for the weekend via the Chunnel, then back again in the camper using the Ferry in a fortnight or so. Am giving serious thought to ways of making the back ladder inaccessible and to maybe stopping overnight outside Calais (Gravelines) before getting the ferry back.

Just out of interest does anyone know if the back entrance to the ferry port from the town is infested with migrant lift hitchers or is it just the dual carriageway from the autoroute? I know their shanty town's been near the back entrance in the past.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
i believe they must be getting onboard more in the ferry or tunnel compound otherwise they wont know if someone is travelling to the uk or not if someone was on the aire at calais they could be heading to spain ??

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Really ? .......... that's a question btw, it has a question mark. My comment about the footage expressed genuine surprise. My comment about the false widow fiasco was highlighting the current obsession of the media in reporting the Calais stuff. My comment about the immigration thing going on for years is a fact. Given that Rita in another related thread has now mentioned 'bombs', I feel perspective is needed here. Any newbies on here would be well put off reading these few threads. Agree we need to be vigilant but not to have it lead to panic !!!!!

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
I can't see how the facts can be wrong. They are talking to people who have experienced it first hand….?

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Going over on Friday, back on 18th. Thinking of swallowing the loss of the return fare & booking Eurotunnel or Cherbourg for the journey back. No prices available out of Dunquerque. Not happy bunny!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
snipped...

I think the French should be more Pro Active re the immigrants getting as far as Calais. Perhaps THEY should concentrate on not letting them into the country in the first place.

Length of land borders in kms...

France... 2889 kms.

England 360 kms.

And despite only 360 kms we can't keep the Welsh and the Scots out...

What hope does France have?

JJ :cool:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Cherbourg!? (315kms) - Dieppe-s only 177kms from Calais and the crossing's much shorter & cheaper!! ;)

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Length of land borders in kms...

France... 2889 kms.

England 360 kms.

And despite only 360 kms we can't keep the Welsh and the Scots out...

What hope does France have?

JJ :cool:
Y would u want to keep the welsh and the scots out jj

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes it is a worry. Heaven forbid someone should board the train and let off a bomb. We boarded the train last year to return to UK and the van in front had two men who looked like they could be the terrorist type. I was rather anxious the whole journey.

Hmm, what does a terrorist look like?, I do think that yes it’s a serious subject but we should not type cast people, just observe and report on any suspicious behaviour whoever it is. You could say the most effective terrorist is the one you have been living next door to for the last 20 years !!!!

Apr 20, 2009
norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
i was on the 9.50 crossing from calais yesterday morning and apart from a few immigrants hanging around the port didnt see anything we decided not to sleep there but have to say i wouldnt have changed my ferry to another port . only thing we noticed was more security especially in lorry areas. Just to add we were up towards dunquerque earlier that morning and saw about as many hanging around there to .

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Really ? .......... that's a question btw, it has a question mark. My comment about the footage expressed genuine surprise. My comment about the false widow fiasco was highlighting the current obsession of the media in reporting the Calais stuff. My comment about the immigration thing going on for years is a fact. Given that Rita in another related thread has now mentioned 'bombs', I feel perspective is needed here. Any newbies on here would be well put off reading these few threads. Agree we need to be vigilant but not to have it lead to
Really ? .......... that's a question btw, it has a question mark. My comment about the footage expressed genuine surprise. My comment about the false widow fiasco was highlighting the current obsession of the media in reporting the Calais stuff. My comment about the immigration thing going on for years is a fact. Given that Rita in another related thread has now mentioned 'bombs', I feel perspective is needed here. Any newbies on here would be well put off reading these few threads. Agree we need to be vigilant but not to have it lead to panic !!!!!
but it needs to be said as I said before not trying to scaremonger but this is a big threat. And may be a we bit of panic is good to waken up ppl who think it might not happen.

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Unfortunately all this has put us off stopping overnight at Calais beach which we used to do regularly, coming and going, usually treating ourselves to some frites!
But I'm not worried about anyone hiding under the van thanks to you guys notifying us all about it. We stop at the pet passport office (again on Saturday) but will just have to add that to the other things we are vigilant about, like people trying to distract and steal stuff - even encountered an English couple on a Spanish motorway stop trying it on!!

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
but it needs to be said as I said before not trying to scaremonger but this is a big threat. And may be a we bit of panic is good to waken up ppl who think it might not happen.
Im big enough and ugly enough and experienced enough to look after me and mine....but very gratefull of the heads up so I can be extra vigilant(y)

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Don't know what your all going to talk about once the immigrants issued is solved

5 threads on the same subject currently running on here

What time does the fun start

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back