Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
tambo and jj im not being rude but sometimes what is trivial to you is serious to other people if you dont like the post just ignore it there is no need to hijack it with banter this is what sometimes puts people off contributing to the forum
Oops sorry il go stand in the corner.

But you have kinda exhausted the point now .....its on world news there's immigrants in calais be vigilant point made.

I'm failing to see the fun though ......motorhome moan is sounding more appropriate :p

Il get ma coat

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We got asked by UK Border control at Calais if we’d stopped anywhere in the area, ‘Cite Europe” says I, “about 40 minutes ago” he then proceeded to look under the van and inside every locker and cupboard.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i came through the same day as shuggy and all i got asked for was our passports the q to get from control to the myferry check in took nearly a hour yet all they wanted was passports time to maybe start using another route i reckon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
tambo and jj im not being rude but sometimes what is trivial to you is serious to other people if you dont like the post just ignore it there is no need to hijack it with banter this is what sometimes puts people off contributing to the forum
It's ok tambo and jj have not had the experience of going back and forth from uk it seems there new to this they will learn.....

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Oops sorry il go stand in the corner.

But you have kinda exhausted the point now .....its on world news there's immigrants in calais be vigilant point made.

I'm failing to see the fun though ......motorhome moan is sounding more appropriate :p

Il get ma coat
U have a coat I thought u would have a fleece.....

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
What happened to the old rules of the sea .....Stowaways will be thrown over board ? :)

Many Years ago on a ship I had just boarded in Manchester which had just come from Dakar with bulk pellets for animal feeds and after the formalities with the paperwork I asked the german skipper why there was a broomstick nailed to the bulkhead he told me this is the worlds most expensive broomstick as whilst loading at Dakar he had been robbed at night with armed robbers after emptying his safe £4000 plus all his paint and ropes and basically any thing that could be carried off was ,he discovered that what he though was a rifle was a broomstick . Then after loading and out at sea he heard banging from the hold and opened the hatch and found 2 stowaways, the captain who was also the owner of the ship would have been responsible for paying for their return to Dakar so over the side they went they were 2 days out of Dakar ! true story :eek:

"Rules of the Sea":Eeek:

Not amusing Herman, even in jest, advocating murder does not make me laugh and is an insult to seafarers worldwide..

Stowaways like illegals are a fact of life. The hardest part can be proving where they came from, so as to send them back. They almost never have papers so unless they tell you where they are from it is very difficult to determine where to return them.

I had 2 young Moroccan stowaways board in Safi, Morocco about 15 years ago. We found them after 2 days at sea and then managed to get them off the ship officially in UK and it cost my company about £3000 in costs, way back then. We fed them well and even gave them a party when leaving. I could converse with them in French. they were actually very nice polite and friendly young men, and it is easy to see why they go to the lengths they do, just in the hope of a better life.

We used to load Acid regularly in Calais until a few years ago. There were always illegal immigrants on the quayside which was then open and unsecured. We always put a note and our deck guys always told everyone on the quays we were sailing for Murmansk, Russia, when we were actually going to UK. No one ever boarded.

Two weeks ago, whilst I was on leave, my ship had 2 Moroccans get onboard in Cueta. They were found 2 hours after sailing. The stowaways thought the ship was going to Malaga when in fact it had just come from Malaga and was going to Morocco. The ship was turned around and they were landed back in Cueta with no problems next morning.

A bit of compassion and humility never goes amiss. just be thankful that because of where you were lucky enough to be born, you do not find yourself in their situation.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Compassion and humility are admirable for sure. Respect for law and using correct channels to enter a country are also important.. But perhaps don't sound so good.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

Wow... well that is me told!

I am off to the naughty corner...

JJ :cool:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
jj behave yaself u are always in that corner anyway i will join u soon so save a spot for me :)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Compassion and humility are admirable for sure. Respect for law and using correct channels to enter a country are also important.. But perhaps don't sound so good.

..............It's been said before...... If the North American Indians had kept tighter border controls the World might be a better place..............:whistle:

(y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
"Rules of the Sea":Eeek:

Not amusing Herman, even in jest, advocating murder does not make me laugh and is an insult to seafarers worldwide..

Stowaways like illegals are a fact of life. The hardest part can be proving where they came from, so as to send them back. They almost never have papers so unless they tell you where they are from it is very difficult to determine where to return them.

There was a sad case a few years ago when some West Africans stowed away on a Greek ship and were found. They promptly were turfed over the wall and left to drown. Not sure if one survived and told his story or if one of the crew let it slip as to what happened, but the net result was a lengthy jail term for those invoked. Quite right, too. Terrible thing to do

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Hi guys. Eurotunnel have got back to me for the second time. It has gone as high as the Managing Director of Eurotunnel and they have responded that it is the French Border Control responsibility for the safety of vehicles entering the Eurotunnel. They are not refuting that they also have a responsibility but their hands are tied by the French Authorities. The Pet Check in is not a secure area even though it is in the grounds of Eurotunnel and the actual secure area starts at the Check in Booths.
I asked about the cameras that are on the floor at the Check In Booth area and was advised that they a not party to what they are used for ( for security reasons) and whether they are utilised 24/7. I have been reassured by Eurotunnel that it remains a safe service to use but they would say that to maintain their revenue
The crux is that if you are unsure, as one of the previous posters stated, tell customs you think their May be someone hiding on your vehicle and it will only take them a few moments to check it out.
On a personal note, I know some people yesterday were making light of the situation but this is a serious matter. We are more than ever before targets of terrorism and I would hate for any of us to becomes victims. Let us maintain our early warning system by continuing to post any instances or near misses that we may have had without fear of being ridiculed by our fellow Funsters.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
Well I am blaming you anyway...

and stop hijacking this thread.

JJ :cool:

ok me dear sorry about that sir your wish is my command of holy 1 :whistle:

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
They have no checks at the ferry terminal either ....or at least they didn't when I crossed end of July ....leaving UK I had security guy with minor under van , they were checking inside vans etc .....leaving calais I didn't see one vehicle being checked just waved straight on to boat

Then when arriving at Dover ....i was waved in to security where one policeman asked me a few questions through my window again no checks of van whatsoever

You're right. That happened to me too.

It seems odd that we're so vigilant at checking vehicles going out and yet don't seem to care when coming back into the country. Very strange indeed.

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Well I have sent an email to Eurotunnel re the Pets Passport lack of security. Daresay they will ignore me. Looks like one of us will have to stay with the motorhome whilst one goes in with the dogs. Having two dogs we both usually go in.
I think the French should be more Pro Active re the immigrants getting as far as Calais. Perhaps THEY should concentrate on not letting them into the country in the first place.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have a cunning plan !
As soon as you arrive in France make as if you are going back to the UK and plot up where the infiltrators usually join in the game.

Wait until one climbs on board, go back to the van and off you go in to France !
If everyone does it we can spread the illegals all across Europe within a couple of months (y)

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
At least our young dog Pippa will soon bark if anyone comes near the MH. We will get her to go around the mh before we leave Pets Passport and will look underneath.

simbadog

Free Member
Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
My mate has just driven from Alps to Calais, took him 8 hours to Calais, the last 2 miles through Calais & to Queue for ship took him 3 hours :Eeek: he said there are hundreds of the (insert your own description) 's everywhere & he saw loads climbing under lorries & caravans :eek:

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Yes it is a worry. Heaven forbid someone should board the train and let off a bomb. We boarded the train last year to return to UK and the van in front had two men who looked like they could be the terrorist type. I was rather anxious the whole journey.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
My mate has just driven from Alps to Calais, took him 8 hours to Calais, the last 2 miles through Calais & to Queue for ship took him 3 hours :Eeek: he said there are hundreds of the (insert your own description) 's everywhere & he saw loads climbing under lorries & caravans :eek:

thats true the queues are massive i was in 1 and took me a hr to get to checkin but like i said all that is for is checking ya passport not the van

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Yes it is a worry. Heaven forbid someone should board the train and let off a bomb. We boarded the train last year to return to UK and the van in front had two men who looked like they could be the terrorist type. I was rather anxious the whole journey.
It wasn't these two by any chance was it?.
Smudger 005.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back