Eurotunnel (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Is it only in the pet check in area that this problem can occur? It is our first trip to France in a couple of weeks and like others we're a bit concerned about this. We have no pets and so won't be visiting this area.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Not having a go at you FS2, your thread was a serious wake up call for us motorhomers, just saying you had to wade through the sideshows to keep on track of the thread.
We came through Calais a couple of years back and it was quite intimidating with all the groups hanging around, even more so now if they are actively targeting us.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Great camera for £15 .......
Actually they're pretty good it's the same one that comes with the full reverse camera kit at £45

I fitted one on my sisters van .....last year :)
I bought a dash cam at 12 quid too which works great with a good clear image

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Oooh, am a little worried about all this. Do you think we should cancel Spain this winter and spend it in Bridlington.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Isn't Bridlington the reason they are all trying to get here in the first place?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Some comments from the mayor of calais.

The mayor complained that British immigration policy made the UK be seen as "an Eldorado" by immigrants.

Many believe the UK will be a more welcoming place if they can get there.

The mayor of the northern French city of Calais has threatened to block the port unless Britain does more to control the number of illegal migrants.

Natacha Bouchart said that her city was being "taken hostage" by about 1,300 migrants from the Middle East, Asia and Africa who are attempting to cross the English channel from France.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2010
west sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Tents till 1973,caravan till1987m/home since1987
Last year on arrival at Dover after channel crossing,A Tanker driver was opening the covers on the top of his trailer.I suggested it may be dangerous to allow fumes out on the vehicle deck whilst the doors were still closed! He replied it was he who would be locked up if F-----g ---s were inside.So why only worry about the Tunnel,Just be cautious.Trust nobody!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I can see where the mayor or Calais is coming from even though the UK is not wholly to blame for the problems. I would hate to live in or near Calais and be terrorised by the people trying to get to the UK, especially as there is nothing the mayor or the people there can do to prevent it.

The problem is a European problem and needs to be solved at European level, perhaps with European armed forces. Find out where the would-be immigrants have come from and send them back to their country of origin if they are economic migrants. If they are asylum seekers the correct procedures for claiming asylum should be enforced. If there is no way of knowing the point of origin (quite often the case I would have thought) then some sort of settlement should be found - there are a lot of deserted islands (bit tongue in cheek there but you get the idea).

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
how many of them are legally in France I wonder, if France took some control there would be less of a problem 1300 seems a manageable number to sort out, send in the troops for a training exercise and get them sorted and sent home.

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years , tugging for 27 years
Guys this is a serious issue I had one under my van this week and drove all the way to cobham my friend who was following had told me on our walkie talkies that there was someone under my van but had only noticed him in the last 5 miles I think he was moving about because he was getting tired after 100 miles I was about to pull into the services when I got stuck in a traffic jam he jumped down and was away I contacted eurotunnel who said they seem to be targeting the motorhomes and caravans in the pet passport area I had seen 3 illegals come out of the bushes as I was driving off but hadn't noticed the one that had already got under my van according to eurotunnel they don't class this as a secure area but they did absolutely no checks on my vehicle except ensuring the gas was turned off a dog or a mirror would be enough to check underneath remember it was an illegal this time but what could it be next time I have contacted Teresa mays office also local pm no reply yet so please don't make light of this problem it also brings into question staying in aires etc in the area these guys are desperate and according to eurotunnel are likely to turn violent so go I will , enjoy I will but ask eurotunnel customs to make a check underneath van or do it yourself

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It makes me think that if we do go to France / Spain or where ever foreign next year we will not come back via Calais.

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Puddle duck I think it will be ok because we are now aware of the problem just need to be more vigilant than I was I thought I was in the terminal and they couldn't get in what annoys me is that is obvious eurotunnel know about the problem but have put no checks in place

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Puddle duck I think it will be ok because we are now aware of the problem just need to be more vigilant than I was I thought I was in the terminal and they couldn't get in what annoys me is that is obvious eurotunnel know about the problem but have put no checks in place
They have no checks at the ferry terminal either ....or at least they didn't when I crossed end of July ....leaving UK I had security guy with minor under van , they were checking inside vans etc .....leaving calais I didn't see one vehicle being checked just waved straight on to boat

Then when arriving at Dover ....i was waved in to security where one policeman asked me a few questions through my window again no checks of van whatsoever

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
when in northern ireland during the troubles, we used to all carry an inspection mirror on a stick and a torch to check our vehicles every time. not expensive and has other uses, so £4 well spent
Broken Link Removed

Herman ze German

Free Member
Jul 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
Merc Sprinter self build
Exp
since 2006
What happened to the old rules of the sea .....Stowaways will be thrown over board ? :)

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
What happened to the old rules of the sea .....Stowaways will be thrown over board ? :)

Many Years ago on a ship I had just boarded in Manchester which had just come from Dakar with bulk pellets for animal feeds and after the formalities with the paperwork I asked the german skipper why there was a broomstick nailed to the bulkhead he told me this is the worlds most expensive broomstick as whilst loading at Dakar he had been robbed at night with armed robbers after emptying his safe £4000 plus all his paint and ropes and basically any thing that could be carried off was ,he discovered that what he though was a rifle was a broomstick . Then after loading and out at sea he heard banging from the hold and opened the hatch and found 2 stowaways, the captain who was also the owner of the ship would have been responsible for paying for their return to Dakar so over the side they went they were 2 days out of Dakar ! true story :eek:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Just heard a report on this on the radio, french complaining the UK Govt isn't doing enough to help. Then she reported that a group of volunteers had just turned up giving out free food to the prospective immigrants.
I suppose the mobile library will be along soon.......

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just heard a report on this on the radio, french complaining the UK Govt isn't doing enough to help. Then she reported that a group of volunteers had just turned up giving out free food to the prospective immigrants.
I suppose the mobile library will be along soon.......
Not trying to prolong another immigrant thing but surely they are in France illegally so why don't they do something with them besides feeding them

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
tambo and jj im not being rude but sometimes what is trivial to you is serious to other people if you dont like the post just ignore it there is no need to hijack it with banter this is what sometimes puts people off contributing to the forum

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
1 thread on this has already been closed leave the thread if ya not interested in the threat this is

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back