Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Which way would you to the Dordogne avoiding both Paris and Rouen?

We're not in any great hurry, will be stopping on Aires and going next Thursday.

We don't need, or want, a set route but just a gentle hint on the general direction to avoid the Cities.

Any help appreciated.

:france: :france: :france: :france:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
agree as per GW, we have more recently been using La Mailleraye so missing Rouen to the west, but if not go right down hill to Rouen, come off at airport sign, cross back over road (left turn sort of but quite complicated) then be ready to go right for Pont de L'Arche, misses Rouen and all the tolls :)(y)

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Depending our much sightseeing you want on the journey, from Chartres head to Blois, and then either head to Chateauroux and Limoges or go via Chatilion sur Indre, Le Blanc, Bellac, Rochechouart, Brantome, Perigueux. All good roads.. Quiet pleasant towns..

Also from jct 28 before Limoges take the ring road and then the N21 to Perigueux...

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Keith,
We go via yvetot to avoid Roeun to La mailleraye or St Nicolas de Bliquetiut aire , then towards Alencon (using the nice lakeside aire at Mortagne au Perche , st langris les mortagne)
then Tours --Poitiers --Limoges -- Brantome --Perigueux.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Thanks GW - that sounds a reasonable route - appreciated.

Just another suggestion though I expect you may have already picked up on this one. Others heading that way for the first time might like to note.

For anyone driving west from Calais, even if you don't "do" peage, it's really worth staying on the A16 approaching Boulogne, J29 ,and collecting a toll ticket. Just get across the viaducts then you can stay on or come off. I think the toll for that stretch is around €2.90, or even less.
The alternative is quite a slow and winding road down into the valley and back up the other side.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Head for Rouen but turn off south before you reach the river - pick up the 154 and then the A20. Easy drive.

Calais, Rouen (almost), Eveux, Dreux, Chartres, Orleans, Vierzon, Chateauroux, Limoges.
We go all the way down the A28 autoroute to the outskirts of Rouen, having entered 'Pont-de-l'Arche' in the sat-nav.

Keeps you out of the city centre and on the east side of the river down the D6015 - quite a pleasant drive in our opinion.

We often stop for a picnic on the southern outskirts of the city by a leisure centre on the banks of the Seine - double back for 200 yards or so at a roundabout where you can see the river. I think the leisure centre is signposted.

From Pont-de-l'Arche, just head south following the route suggested by GeriatricWanderer. (y)

Last edited:

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Geriatric Wanderer's route is superb IMHO - my slight variation would be to continue S on the A20 after Limoges an then turn L into the Lot at Brive rather than R into the Dordogne. That way you would avoid the Brit ghettoes in the latter and enter the mostly Brit free zone of the former.

But if the OP insists on the Dordogne so be it.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We go all the way down the A28 autoroute to the outskirts of Rouen, having entered 'Pont-de-l'Arche' in the sat-nav.

Keeps you out of the city centre and on the east side of the river down the D6015 - quite a pleasant drive in our opinion.

We often stop for a picnic on the southern outskirts of the city by a leisure centre on the banks of the Seine - double back for 200 yards or so at a roundabout where you can see the river. I think the leisure centre is signposted.

From Pont-de-l'Arche, just head south following the route suggested by GeriatricWanderer. (y)
Thats great day time parking there and Rouen is lovely. Dont be tempted to stay the night though ! Dope smoking youths with donut performing cars.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Head for Rouen but turn off south before you reach the river - pick up the 154 and then the A20. Easy drive.

Calais, Rouen (almost), Eveux, Dreux, Chartres, Orleans, Vierzon, Chateauroux, Limoges.

Living near Limoges we use this route all the time when travelling to Calais in the car...Fast and cheap, few tolls....BUT in the main it is flat and boring especially from Rouen to Chateauroux...The roads are predominantly dual carriageway or motorway, often with high embankments, you just don't see a great deal..

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Depending our much sightseeing you want on the journey, from Chartres head to Blois, and then either head to Chateauroux and Limoges or go via Chatilion sur Indre, Le Blanc, Bellac, Rochechouart, Brantome, Perigueux. All good roads.. Quiet pleasant towns..

Also from jct 28 before Limoges take the ring road and then the N21 to Perigueux...
This is our route(y)

OP
OP
KeithChesterfield

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
KC - there is a potential downside to my suggestion, you risk finding M et Mme Lot Lover

It's a risk I may have to endure.

OP
OP
KeithChesterfield

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
By 'eck, I think we've made it!
After a hearty long midday meal yesterday in Montmorillon with friends and a restful evening we set off south.
We've arrived at Servieres le Chateau.
Is that in the Lot?
Where next you may ask - and am I in danger of running into M et Mme Lot Lover?

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
By 'eck, I think we've made it!
After a hearty long midday meal yesterday in Montmorillon with friends and a restful evening we set off south.
We've arrived at Servieres le Chateau.
Is that in the Lot?
Where next you may ask - and am I in danger of running into M et Mme Lot Lover?

Where did you eat in Montmorillon, it's local to us ... Always looking for decent recommendations..

OP
OP
KeithChesterfield

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Le Roman des Saveurs - just over the Bridge from the Mairie.
Chicken Gizzards for starter.
Great joint of Lamb for main.
hot strawberries and ice cream for pud.
Set menu - 16.50 Euros
Coffee and local beer for drinks.
Greedy b*gger aren't I?
We rushed the meal - only took three hours!

Last edited:

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Le Roman des Saveurs - just over the Bridge from the Mairie.
Chicken Gizzards for starter.
Great joint of Lamb for main.
hot strawberries and ice cream for pud.
Coffee and local beer for drinks.
Greedy b*gger aren't I?

Been going there for 15 years, all I need now is a similar recommendation for Chesterfield as we'll be nearby at Easter...(y)

OP
OP
KeithChesterfield

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Try Maison Mes Amis at junction of Chatsworth Road and Old Road.

Or out of town - Elm Tree at Heath - just off Jct 29 M1.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
KC - you are still in the Correze and safe for now.

We are back in France, safely returned from the Iberian Peninsula, and will be spending another night at Mercus-Garrabet, S of Foix.

Tomorrow should see us home in our beloved 46 - probably late afternoon.

If you are likely to be in the St Cere area let me know and I will buy you whatthe locals call beer in France.

OP
OP
KeithChesterfield

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
We are sat, 1664 just finished, sunning ourselves at the AIre in Beaulieu sur Dordogne at the moment.

it's a hard life, isn't it?

Thanks for the offer but we'll probably be moving somewhere else during tomorrow - if we don't, for whatever reason, and are still in the area then we'd be pleased to meet up with you.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
We are sat, 1664 just finished, sunning ourselves at the AIre in Beaulieu sur Dordogne at the moment.

it's a hard life, isn't it?

I seem to remember recommending that aire to someone looking for recommendations - was it for you?

The junction at the top of the road requires deft use of the handbrake and clutch!

Ian

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years

I agree with @GeriatricWanderer that is the route we would choose if we were going that way round - actually did a similar one last year but went more Autoroute as we were heading to Canne

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back