Eurotunnel problems

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scousebird, Aug 14, 2015.

1. scousebird

scousebird Funster

2. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Just says a train stopped.. find that a bit hard to swallow as talking to one of the guys last week he said that is exactly the reason they have a powered unit at both ends.. redundancy ..

3. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

The twitter feed earlier said it was an alarm on a train I think

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

After being delayed for more than four hours when we travelled three weeks ago , plus the chaos on the roads in Kent getting there, I vowed it won't ever be a problem again as it's the last time I book it.. no more Chunnel for us.. . enough is enough ..

5. iandsm

iandsm Funster

I am sure you are right, we have decided to put off our usual September trip to France and stay in the UK for a change. However, Eurotunnel is, after all, a commercial enterprise and I think they will move heaven and earth to make it secure rather than loose a lot of customers and revenue. I also think that the UK and French governments, as well as other European countries will will be forced to come up with a positive plan to deal with the whole migrant issue.

In short, I think and hope, its a temporary cessation to our use of Eurotunnel.

6. veevee

veevee Funster

I know that there are major problems on occasion at the Tunnel, but there is a lot of scaremongering going on too, it makes good copy don't you know. We have made 2 return crossings in the last 4 weeks, that's four separate journeys. The only problem we had was about 3 weeks ago with operation stack, p... up and brewery came to mind. But it wasn't too big a deal and only a 2 hour delay, the world at and around the Tunnel seemed to cope with it without a lot of fuss.

Twice on exiting at Calais there have been groups of mainly young men just sort of hanging around, the last time last Sunday night there were maybe 40 or 50 near the exit road and they looked a sad and sorry sight. There was and so far has never been any sense of a threat, that in our experience is mainly in the mind of journalists and other who haven't travelled via Eurotunnel recently (not to say there isn't the odd isolated incident though).

The point of my comment is, it is a great shame if it puts people from having the holiday they really want as things are rarely as bad as presented in the media, of course you could get unlucky but so could you walking down to your local shops.

• Like Like x 5
  7. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

I once had a 5 hour delay flying to Aberdeen. I was at an airport recently with the arrivals board still showing a flight 12 hours late with no eta. I've been stuck in traffic jams that have delayed me for over 3 hours on the m6 and the m1.

Whenever you travel there is a risk that someone else's bad day will ruin yours as well... Just remember how good it is when it works and compare it to the best run ferry service and the tunnel wins every time..

• Like Like x 9
  8. scotjimland

I fully accept that hiccups happen.. and delays ensue.. but this problem of migrants trying to access the UK via the tunnel has been going on for at least ten years.. and there is no solution in sight ..

what I'm saying is I won't be booking it again until it is resolved.. one way or the other.. nor will I book a ferry from Dover either.. there are plenty of other routes into Europe without the misery of driving in grid locked Kent and then waiting for hours to get to Calais.. a whole day to travel from Suffolk to France is just ridiculous..

We paid a premium price for a crap service with no compensation for the delay.. on return we came back a day early to ensure we were home in time for Charlotte's Cadet camp.. and were charged extra for doing so.. as I said.. no more tunnel or Dover for us until the situation is resolved..

• Like Like x 2
  9. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

I agree completely.. then I remember how much more expensive those other crossings are and remember I want to bank holiday in Holland and definitely want to do some Christmas markets again this year and I can't keep away... having said that I've been lucky and never had a delay on the tunnel that wasn't caused by me falling asleep in the waiting area..

• Like Like x 2
  10. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

The tunnel has only really become an issue recently when the ferrys were on strike / blockaded. The ferry terminals were actually their crossing point of choice.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Are you sure they were migrants? Looked like a coach trip from Bolton to me..[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  12. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

we rang thier ( french side ) customer service last night, as our daughters coming back home vai tunnel today, they told us its was breakdown and all will be ok today, it looks like it is.

13. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

When we travelled 3 weeks ago, the day before you I believe, we weren't delayed at all other than I suppose half an hour extra going round the A20 but that's no big deal. We actually got a train 3 hours earlier than our scheduled one.

14. solo 1

solo 1 Funster Life Member

Well you are a naughty boy coming home a bit early. You are going to pay for this. That's what is so annoying. Of course before you go we will let you pay extra if you think you may be early. What the f##k difference does it really make. One thing I really hate is being blatantly ripped off. :mad:

• Like Like x 3
  15. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Can you get it sorted for me by Wednesday please guys as coming home:(

16. scotjimland

we were booked on the 11.50 am crossing.. as I expected delays we left Suffolk in plenty of time...

The M20 was closed and we were diverted via the M2/A2 and got snarled up in grid locked traffic before we reached the tunnel terminal.. we made it on time but then sat there for three hours in a car park jam packed with delayed vehicles.. it was chaos .. by the time we reached France I had enough of the heat and traffic and rather than travel much further we stopped for the night at Boulogne aire .. as I said almost a full day to get from Suffolk to Boulogne ...

I don't care how long or when it started, whether this year or ten years ago.. at the ferry terminal or the tunnel. .. or whether it's caused by French ferry workers setting fire to tyres on the road, French farmers protesting, or illegal migrants, until it is sorted we won't be booking any crossing from Dover to Calais again.. enough is enough..

17. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We've made 5 trips to France and back since June. The longest delay was about 20 minutes and the detours have added another few minutes to the journey getting to the terminal.
    Giving that we live 20 miles from the tunnel, we wouldn't stop using it whatever happens, but I can see it must be frustrating after a long journey to get a delayed crossing and to be stuck in queues of traffic.
    It's also annoying being charged extra for an earlier/ later crossing, especially when you can see there is plenty of space on the train you are getting on.
    I guess, if you have a choice of crossings, it's only sensible to take the best option, we used to when we lived in the Midlands.

18. Teuchter

Teuchter Funster

We are off to France again next week, however we always go from Portsmouth as we only live half an hour from the ferry port :)

19. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

We'll never use anything other than the tunnel until ferry companies start allowing dogs to stay with you on the crossing without having to pay ridiculous amounts for pet friendly cabins.

• Like Like x 9
  20. iandsm

iandsm Funster

which ones have pet friendly cabins, any idea of cost please?