Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Interesting. Is it Visa or Mastercard please? And what is the conversion rate for the tunnel fares please?

Just spoken to my wife its a MasterCard.

She is not entirely sure that each £ spent = 1 point.

We had loads of points though and the card has never been used in Tesco.

Conversion of the points is the same as with vouchers she tells me.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
South west.. the Atlantic coast .. primarily for Charlotte who wants to go sun bathing and surfing...:cool:
She wants to re-visit the places from her full timing days when she was just 6 yo .. now almost 15 , so not many more years to endure enjoy her company :LOL:

Mimizan Plage, Capbreton, etc

We're going the other way this time. Lake Garda is our main destination. Joseph is the same age and it may well be the last time he comes with us on a big trip. He's got a big school trip next summer holidays to Peru for a month and the year after he's going to be 17 and I can't see him wanting to come with us then. The upside of that is that there will be some food left for the rest of us without him hoovering up everything in site :LOL:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks, but how many actual vouchers is that please?

No idea how the points work. She does all that. All I know is that she gets vouchers sent in the post every so often or can check online. It's just the normal Tesco vouchers.

What you do (I think, may be wrong) is convert them to tunnel vouchers on the Tesco site and end up with a load of codes which you then use when you phone up to book the tunnel.

EDIT: Just had a look on Tesco website and found this:

How do I collect points?
You will collect points every time you shop at Tesco and scan your Clubcard, or with our points partners. The collect rate will differ depending on where the transaction takes place. Full details on the different ways to collect points can be found here.
Will I collect points on every product I purchase?
You can't collect points on some products due to various legal, regulatory or contractual reasons. These products are: tobacco or tobacco related products, lottery, stamps, prescription medicines, infant formula milk, Tesco Gift Cards, saving stamps, in-store concessions, Paypoint payments or purchases of some Tesco Bank products. Other products may also be excluded from the scheme at the discretion of Tesco.
Is there a maximum number of points I can collect?
To help us manage the scheme and to ensure all customers are treated fairly, there is a limit of 30,000 points for each collection period.
How much are my points worth in Clubcard vouchers?
You need to collect a minimum of 150 points (per collection period) to receive Clubcard vouchers. This will give you £1.50 in vouchers. After that, every 50 points turns into £0.50 worth of vouchers.
What are carried forward points?
In order to receive Clubcard vouchers, you need to collect a minimum of 150 points per collection period. If you don’t reach this amount, your points will be carried forward to your next statement. After you reach 150 points, we will send you vouchers for every 50 points. For example, if you have 230 points in your account, we will transform 200 of them into £2 worth of vouchers and the other 30 points will be carried forward to your next statement.If an account is unused for two years, the carried forward points will expire and be removed from the account.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
No idea how the points work. She does all that. All I know is that she gets vouchers sent in the post every so often or can check online. It's just the normal Tesco vouchers.

What you do (I think, may be wrong) is convert them to tunnel vouchers on the Tesco site and end up with a load of codes which you then use when you phone up to book the tunnel.

EDIT: Just had a look on Tesco website and found this:
But that is for purchases in Tesco, and, like Chris, we don't shop there. Looking at the Tesco website the credit card only earns you 1 point for every £4 spent on it. And with each point = 1p that works out at 0.25% return, which is way lower than my Amex cashback card. And even if the tunnel offers at 3 times face value that still is only 0.75%, again lower than Amex.

Looks like I will stick with Amex.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
But that is for purchases in Tesco, and, like Chris, we don't shop there. Looking at the Tesco website the credit card only earns you 1 point for every £4 spent on it. And with each point = 1p that works out at 0.25% return, which is way lower than my Amex cashback card. And even if the tunnel offers at 3 times face value that still is only 0.75%, again lower than Amex.

Looks like I will stick with Amex.

Probably for the best. Tesco aren't going to give you vouchers out of the goodness of their hearts are they?

The thread and my answer was about the tunnel not the best credit card you can get :doh:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
One thing about the card I havnt seen anyone mention , is if you do shop in tesco with your tesco credit card or tesco petrol stations you get double points , as you get your normal shopping points and points again for useing the card, plus it works in France as well.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
One thing about the card I havnt seen anyone mention , is if you do shop in tesco with your tesco credit card or tesco petrol stations you get double points , as you get your normal shopping points and points again for useing the card, plus it works in France as well.

And the other thing you can get at the moment, not related to tunnel tickets but worth having, is the fuel saver thing. You can get up to 20p a litre off each month. I think it's 2p per £50 total spend. Double points, tunnel vouchers and cheaper diesel all adds up. Even if you don't usually shop there it's worth thinking about for branded things, beer for example, that are the same wherever you buy them.

We don't have the credit card at the moment which is an oversight I need to correct (y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
And the other thing you can get at the moment, not related to tunnel tickets but worth having, is the fuel saver thing. You can get up to 20p a litre off each month. I think it's 2p per £50 total spend. Double points, tunnel vouchers and cheaper diesel all adds up. Even if you don't usually shop there it's worth thinking about for branded things, beer for example, that are the same wherever you buy them.

We don't have the credit card at the moment which is an oversight I need to correct (y)
Yeah , others can knock the tesco card all they want, but it's free, you can do all your shopping on it and pay it off at the end of the month, and get the points, ok other cards might knock a bit off or other offers, fair enough especially if you don't do tunnel but if you do it's amazing how soon you have enough for a trip.
Nice when you do it better than having a bit of divi put on your account that you don't notice:)(y)

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Probably for the best. Tesco aren't going to give you vouchers out of the goodness of their hearts are they?

The thread and my answer was about the tunnel not the best credit card you can get :doh:
I was asking about the credit card because Chris had specifically mentioned it in this very thread and I was asking information from him specifically. Try to keep up. :D And that credit card is not as good as the cashback one I already have.

I am not knocking the Tesco reward card, but that only gives points when you shop in Tesco and we don't so it is of no use to us. In reality it is almost identical to the Sainsbury's nectar card we use.

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
I've used the Credit Card for a couple of years now and shop in Tescos mostly. July will be my third tunnel crossing only paying for the dog this year. End of this month I'll get more vouchers when the Clubcard statement arrives online. They'll go towards the 4th free crossing as will the following quarter.
That surely beats Frequent Traveller? We swap and change dates all the time, there's no hassle to do that

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I was asking about the credit card because Chris had specifically mentioned it in this very thread and I was asking information from him specifically. Try to keep up. :D And that credit card is not as good as the cashback one I already have.

I am not knocking the Tesco reward card, but that only gives points when you shop in Tesco and we don't so it is of no use to us. In reality it is almost identical to the Sainsbury's nectar card we use.

Not quite right. You get MORE tesco points if you shop in Tesco (1 point per £4 spent plus the normal 1 pt per £1 spent = 5 pts per £4 spent in Tesco) but you do still get the points if you spend on the card elsewhere but only at 1 point per £4 spent.

Denise

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Not quite right. You get MORE tesco points if you shop in Tesco (1 point per £4 spent plus the normal 1 pt per £1 spent = 5 pts per £4 spent in Tesco) but you do still get the points if you spend on the card elsewhere but only at 1 point per £4 spent.

Denise
But, as I keep saying, I don't shop in Tesco and therefore my figures are correct for me.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I insisted my wife used her Tesco card to pay for the Christmas party last year for the staff.

I think it was about £4k, so 1000 points(y)
3 or even 4 free crossings, (y) if you had bought you stuff from tesco you would have 5000 you would have had a dozen crossings, makes you think ay

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No that isn't right somehow, no it's only £10 so that's £30 so it's only half a trip, I was getting my numbers wrong there , so not so good(n):(
I was mixing points with pounds(n)(n)(n)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
No that isn't right somehow, no it's only £10 so that's £30 so it's only half a trip, I was getting my numbers wrong there , so not so good(n):(
I was mixing points with pounds(n)(n)(n)

It all adds up though. We used to have a Barclaycard which gave us nothing.

The way I look at it by using the card, paying it off in full and not shopping at Tesco's then I am contributing in my own small way to their record losses(y)

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
It all adds up though. We used to have a Barclaycard which gave us nothing.

The way I look at it by using the card, paying it off in full and not shopping at Tesco's then I am contributing in my own small way to their record losses(y)
But you ignore the money that the credit card provider (Tesco) earns as commission from seller of the goods you bought, which is much higher than the 0.25% they away as points. Case going through the courts at the moment around that particular point.

We used to have a Barclaycard as well, but now replaced by the Amex cashback card. Trouble is not all places accept Amex :(:(

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Personally I wouldn't deal with Amex if it was 2000% cashback. Fell out with them big style years ago.

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Couple of years ago ferries cancelled due to high winds we drove to calais tunnel terminal and paid three times the prebooked price, trailer and two dogs, 800 euros, I still have to sit down when I remember that night!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back