Eurotunnel prices

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by sticky130, May 1, 2014.

1. sticky130

sticky130 Read Only Funster

Hi all,

Going for the first time in MH to France in September and we're using the Tunnel. Just wondering, in your experience, does the price change much when booking? Is it ok to leave it till later in the year or will it get more expensive? We've always travelled by ferry in the past and it used to be cheaper if we left it to the last minute!

Thanks in advance :BigGrin:

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  2. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

I think the fares are generally lower if you book early for the tunnel, and increase as the crossing date draws nearer. However, in our experience it's not a huge increase.

And one of the advantages of travelling with a motorhome is that it's easy to select an off-peak time of day to travel eg mid-evening, for example. Then just park up for the night on the other side - either at a nearby aire or at Cite de Europe, next to the Calais terminal.

Mike

• Like Like x 2
  3. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

We're booked up g or the tunnel in September. We only really use the late night crossings so the prices stay lowish for our mh+trailer..
    If you want to save money use the tescos voucher method (in case you were unaware)

• Like Like x 1
  4. sticky130

We've saved enough vouchers to pay for both ways :thumb:

We weighed up the pro's and con's of paying much much more for a closer ferry crossing against fuel costs and it still comes up cheaper using the tunnel, and we get to stay with the dog. Just trying to find ways of being more efficient with our funds!!

Looks like from what people has said price doesn't change much and go late at night.

5. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

When we went to Spain this March we booked the outward journey in January and it cost £90 for a middle of the day crossing. We did not book the return because we were not sure when we would be back. I then kept an eye on midday crossing costs for the following couple of weeks when I was out there.

They generally stayed steady at about £110 as long as you were booking at least a couple of days in advance. If you were booking the day before they went up a bit, but booking on the day of crossing shot up to about £195 from memory. I am told that if you just turn up without a ticket they charge well over £200.

All charges are for a "campervan", which covers everything from a converted VW to a 35 foot RV. And I suspect they will be higher in the summer, but lower if you travel early or late in the day.

So it looks like it is best to book early for the best prices.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Roryboys Dad

Roryboys Dad Read Only Funster

The earlier you book the Tunnel the cheaper it will be - you'll save a heck of a lot each way depending on time of day or month.

Mid-day 5th May - £198

Mid-day 5th October - £37

Saves quite a bit of beer money!

:france::france::france:

• Like Like x 2
  7. trophychap

trophychap Funster

Yes and though it tells you not to be early, you can be early and if there's room they'll stick you on the first available one. We used to regularly do this when we went down after work; dunno what you'll find round the M25 etc so you book a bit later.

Our daughter turned up with her caravan and was offered an earlier one, at an extra £20 so she declined and said she'd go on the one they'd booked. As they drove round to the carpark, the boards changed to say they could proceed to where you wait to board so they rushed round there and parked at the front of their lane. She and 2 kids hopped out and went in the van to use the loo, son in law remained in driving seat. Just on it the chap opened the barrier and told him to rush down and get on the previous train!

So he did and they just had to hold on tight! The bloke on the train was just chocking the wheels on the caravan when the door opened and they trooped out - fortunately son in law had the presence of mind to have the tickets in his hand by this time, to show they definitely were with him!

Same thing has happened to us before now. We've been getting into bed at Gravelines, before the time we should have been boarding our train !

• Like Like x 3
  8. sticky130

:Eeek: :Rofl1::Rofl1:

9. laser101uk

laser101uk Funster

The eurotunnel website quoted me 104 (208 return) last week to travel on the 11th May. so I booked the same times through camping and caravan club and paid 176 return. saved £32

Steve

10. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

One thing I like about the tunnel is the flexibility, if you want to change your date of travel for example.

There is no admin fee or premium charged, just whatever fare is available at the time. I had a Tesco booking that I changed the departure date 4 times! Obviously, if the price of the tickets has gone up, then it costs a bit extra. But it's easy to do some research on available fares using the website first, then telephone and say you'd like to go on a different date, specifying what time you want to make the crossing. :thumb:

Once did it the day before date due to travel. Chose a night time fare for 4 days forward and it only cost about £5 extra, which I thought was reasonable, given it was such short notice. :Smile:

Mike

11. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

Tunnel

we usually pay about £66 - £72 per each leg, but of course Tesco covers it

Sometimes, we have booked as late as the 2020 to get the cheaper price, but just turned up early and hoped for the best!

Russ

• Like Like x 1
  12. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Just booked a Tunnel return for a quick flit to France in our car in early Sept and have paid £97 in total. Depart around teatime Fri, return mid morning Monday.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

i can never make sense of the tunnel website is it the same price as a car and upto 9 passengers as for a motor home?

14. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

No. There is a drop down list where you say what vehicle you have. As I said in previous post you choose "campervan", which includes motorhomes of any size.

15. yorkieman

yorkieman Funster

We've never booked in advance and have always just bought it the day before travelling and I don't think we've ever paid more than £90 one-way, and that is going in July.

I like the freedom of being able to go whenever we like and figure by the time we get to Dover there's more than one way to skin a cat so if the tunnel wasn't available we'd get a ferry. Hey, I like living dangerously :)

• Like Like x 3
  16. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

Just booked using our Tesco vouchers, so easy, only had to pay £42.00 towards to price, so I guess I'll be saving all my Tesco vouches in future. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

It's happened before !!

Tunnel !!:Doh: remember to have a fire extinguisher to hand ! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bar-Le-Duc

Bar-Le-Duc Read Only Funster

Tesco Vouchers

Hi everyone,
    Forgive the ignorance, but what are Tesco vouchers and how does that work ??
    Bar-Le-Duc

" Onwards to the new land "

19. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Reward or loyalty vouchers issued by a major supermarket in the UK called Tesco each time you shop with them. They can be redeemed for cash or goods or services. .

20. Allanm

Allanm Funster

What? with all that water above you?

We buy a Frequent traveller ticket, over 5 return trips, we save about £250+ and bookings can be changed up to the last minute with no penalty. Off peak only, but we only live 1/2 hour from the terminal so an early crossing isn't a problem.

Allan