Eurotunnel prices (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
We are going over to europe end of July and have not booked the tunnel yet, prices seem to have remained the same for past 2 months.
Can any advice when you'd expect them to go up as I assume they will increase and how late I can leave it before we book?
I probably will book next month but just incase I forgot lol

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We've already booked albeit that we go and return a bit sooner.
Personally, if you have the opportunity and funds available, I'd book as soon as possible. I've never known the prices reduce (but I suppose they could) but the tenancy is to go up as the date closes in. Apparently, with use of cookies, they know you've been on looking at certain dates and, say for example, they think you definitely want those dates, if they increase by say £20 or £30, that might suggest the prices increasing and you panic thinking it's going up and book at an increased price. I'm not saying that's what happened previously but I think that's what I've read on a few occasions.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
You can bet your sweet Bippy, (Rowan and Martin's Laugh in 1968) that the price of the trip will rise before you ring or go online.
This is a truth whether you wait an hour, a week or a month.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We always book early. Eurotunnel are very good if you wish to change your booking at a later date.

We usually book our end of March crossing the previous December, together with a return for June/July. We rarely travel the return leg on the date we have booked, changing to suit our circumstance.

As soon as we decide the likely date of our June/July return to the UK we book our second trip out and back, with the same philosophy.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I haven't found their prices too volatile, often checking the prices before I book to see it they rise. I rarely delete the cookies either. But I have found them helpful and willing to change the booking with no extra charges, other than the peak travel excess, but since I always travel off-peak, it doesn't apply. I normally travel in the evening to avoid M25 issues, and either overnight in the UK, or late evening crossing and overnighting at Le Cité or somewhere close, works for us. They are much more flexible than ferries, who charge ridiculous rates to change, especially if you change or book within 24 hours of the crossing.

But on ferries, owing to the distance of travel in Europe, I often book the return late, say within 2 or 3 days of travel when I know for sure I'll be there, and find it is not too expensive. In fact I rarely book a return trip ahead.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Dorwyn

we always book the return journey simply because we use Tesco vouchers.

Eurotunnel will not accept Tesco vouchers for one-way trips originating in France, only those starting from UK. Therefore, the necessity to book the return trip even if the date of return is altered later.

Works for us.(y)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We booked a month ago for our outward trip in early May. We don't book the return until about a week before we come back, when we also book the vet.
We have a system of sorts, book the vet on Friday, travel to near the tunnel on Sunday (less traffic as its usually a long trip) book the tunnel for Monday.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
i booked in November for April, July and August. I booked ferries and easyjet this time though. At that time P and O were the cheapest and DFDS tried their cookie trick on me again. I rang them to complain (just being a pain really - i hadnt upset anybody the whole day) and they said "Consumer choice" I said "P and O, au revoir"
Total cost for me £340 for 2 return journeys on a ferry and a single return from Bordeaux to Gatwick

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
@Dorwyn

we always book the return journey simply because we use Tesco vouchers.

Eurotunnel will not accept Tesco vouchers for one-way trips originating in France, only those starting from UK. Therefore, the necessity to book the return trip even if the date of return is altered later.

Works for us.(y)
We don't shop at Tesco so much nowadays, thanks to those German supermarkets. We barely get enough points each year for part of one way cost, which as you say you can only use outwards, and we normally go to the south west, so use the western ferries. So it's not so attractive. But I do like their general willingness to accommodate late changes. As you say, it's what works for you. Enjoy your motorhoming!!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
And can I remind Funsters (as was reported on here a month or two back)
If you only buy a single to go over or under the water, there could be problems with regard to breakdown Insurance.
Don't shoot the messenger, I wouldn't want any of you stranded without support.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We don't shop at Tesco so much nowadays, thanks to those German supermarkets. We barely get enough points each year for part of one way cost, which as you say you can only use outwards, and we normally go to the south west, so use the western ferries. So it's not so attractive. But I do like their general willingness to accommodate late changes. As you say, it's what works for you. Enjoy your motorhoming!!

And, although they don't give anywhere near as many points as they used to do, you can get points for using a Tesco card other than at Tesco.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I'm not allowed another card!! She who holds the purse strings says so. Hark, I think I hear her comin...

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
As we have said on the Forum several times, our three nearest supermarkets are ALL Tesco. Makes it a no-brainier for us.;)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
which as you say you can only use outwards
I think what the reply was is that you can't book the train if your journey (which would probably be your return) originates in France. You can book single or return if the journey originates in the UK which in your case I assume it would be. Just clearing that point up if others look.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
As we have said on the Forum several times, our three nearest supermarkets are ALL Tesco. Makes it a no-brainier for us.;)
The thing is we don't live in such an affluent area. Albeit there is a Tesco as our nearest, it is Tesco Express and only pop in when needed. Main shopping is at Lidl and/or Asda.
Also, on the odd occasions we have been to Tesco, we noticed it was much more expensive overall. Even doing comparison sites, it still works our dearer. I reckon if I banked the savings I make weekly from Lidl and Asda over Tesco, then I'd easily pay for the train and have lots over. Unless your Tescos are cheaper than ours, it's definitely noticeably more expensive at Tesco.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The thing is we don't live in such an affluent area. Albeit there is a Tesco as our nearest, it is Tesco Express and only pop in when needed. Main shopping is at Lidl and/or Asda.
Also, on the odd occasions we have been to Tesco, we noticed it was much more expensive overall. Even doing comparison sites, it still works our dearer. I reckon if I banked the savings I make weekly from Lidl and Asda over Tesco, then I'd easily pay for the train and have lots over. Unless your Tescos are cheaper than ours, it's definitely noticeably more expensive at Tesco.
In your case you are correct.

For us the extra distance we would have to travel to Lidl or Aldi would wipe out the savings, because of fuel costs.

I'm not suggesting everyone should shop at Tesco, just explaining that, for us, it is the obvious choice. If we lived somewhere different it might not be.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
In your case you are correct.

For us the extra distance we would have to travel to Lidl or Aldi would wipe out the savings, because of fuel costs.

I'm not suggesting everyone should shop at Tesco, just explaining that, for us, it is the obvious choice. If we lived somewhere different it might not be.
Really? It must be some distance to Lidl. Personally, I don't use Aldi that much because it's always got queues at the till. The exception is when SWMBO wants some face cream. Apparently really is top quality. Actually, son works as a supervisor at their new distribution centre just outside Bolton. I actually prefer Asda for main shopping (yes, it's me who does the food shopping) but there are quite a few lines that I like from Lidl. However, I don't do Lidl over Asda for price but Tesco is, certainly IMHO is too expensive.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I don't do Lidl over Asda for price but Tesco is, certainly IMHO is too expensive.
TBH we have been shopping at Tesco a bit more recently, some of the lines we really liked at Lidl have been dropped, stocking has recently been inconsistent, and some of Tesco things are just as cheap, plus Tesco compare prices (but not with Lidl/Aldi), so you do get further reductions. BUT today I bought some slices of Tesco Finest Crumbed Wiltshire Ham which was very dear and see through paper thin. I really felt cheated. Back to Lidl for the ham. I also find that Tesco have very short use by dates, another con I think.

I think this is a BUMP!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
TBH we have been shopping at Tesco a bit more recently, some of the lines we really liked at Lidl have been dropped, stocking has recently been inconsistent, and some of Tesco things are just as cheap, plus Tesco compare prices (but not with Lidl/Aldi), so you do get further reductions. BUT today I bought some slices of Tesco Finest Crumbed Wiltshire Ham which was very dear and see through paper thin. I really felt cheated. Back to Lidl for the ham. I also find that Tesco have very short use by dates, another con I think.

I think this is a BUMP!
In all fairness, I tend to ignore the television 'Price Comparisons' because if you look at the Aldi advert, it shows major brands (typically Cathedral cheddar cheese) and suggest you could save X% if you shop at Aldi but those are unbranded per se. They wouldn't compare with Asda (other supermarkets are available) own brand because I've looked at a few (typically cheese) and Asda was cheaper with their own brand against Aldi brand.

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Used to shop as Tescos now shop as Asda prefer Asda for quality and tbh price is generally cheaper at Asda these days

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back