ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi we are probably going to France in August never used the Eurotunnel what is the access like to get on and off the train with something like 15 metres of RV and toad? I have been told that it is a bit tight!!

2009-02-06_08TheTrip2009Londen-006.jpg

Anyone bin with a similar combination??

Regards Pat

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Due to bad sea legs, ffi' and I would use nothing but the tunnel with our RV's.
We had a 32ft and then a 34ft and had no probs at all. Granted, we never had a toad, but even so, I promise you, you'll be fine with a bit of care.
The trick with loading is as you drive onto the side ramp, drive/align as if you're going to drive off the other side THEN put your lock on to drive in to the train. This way, the back end will be better lined up. If you try and go in at too shallow an angle, thats when the fun starts. Just take your time, dont rush and use a bit of "common". I guarantee, you'll LOVE it, it's a FANTASTIC experience, VERY smooth and fast. There are "loaders" who will GLADLY give you directions if you need or want. They're VERY experienced and VERY friendly/helpfull.

Two things to watch out for with a LARGE RV.

1. As you leave the check in desk and follow the "TO FRANCE" signs, there is a narrow weighbridge type afair. This is actually a camera set up to look under your coach as you drive across. The problem is that its VERY narrow so take care. This is compounded by the fact that it is IMO FARRRRRR to close to the exit from a mini roundabout. Again, just take it slowly and you'll be fine.

2. At the joint between each carriage as you drive through, you have to drive between the airlock doors which are folded back for loading. WATCH YOUY MIRRORS!! Its tight. Also at these points, there are what feel like speed ramps between each carriage which can be quite vicious if you hit em too fast.

Sounds like a right pain? Believe me its not, its the ONLY civilised way to get to France!
Have a lovelly time and stop worrying!:winky:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Last edited:

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
As Zaskar has said, drive on the ramp and off the other side then swing back to align with the entrance. We've done it a few times with the RV, with the first time watching how the coach drivers manage it.

Enjoy the trip and don't forget to turn your gas off, they do check.

Mick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
its a lovely experience and so quick.
you will have no problem fitting on tour buses fit on .
go for it .:thumb:

Tinyk

Free Member
Mar 9, 2009
Funster No
Having done it many times with a coach I'm looking forward to the first time with a motor home.

Ditto to what the others have said, I always found it easier to get on with the train to the right, don't know why just felt easier than with it was to the left when loading.

One experience I don't think ill ever better is getting up front with the driver, I don't think they allow this any more but when it first started if you got a British crew and asked the conductor, he would speak to the driver and if you were a coach driver or courier they would allow you to visit him in the cab. Bit weird going through the centre of the front unit crawling between the two engines(they cant do it unless its moving as no one is permitted to see you go in the cab or they could loose their job so you cant just walk down the outside and get in) but watching it go through the tunnel and burst into the sunshine in Calais is a hell of an experience.

Here is one for the useless information brigade, did anyone know their are hills going through the tunnel LOl, yep straight up thats why you can feel it slowing at times. I only found out up with the driver, he was slowing down and i asked him why, he explained that their was a freight train in front fully loaded which was slowing down on an incline, he was catching him up to fast and if he got to within so many miles of it (cant remember think its 8 miles) his computer would automatially start braking to keep the distance between them.

Anyway enough of that, good luck with your first trip, if in doubt slow down and take it very steady and you will be fine, if you miss the entrance and cut the corner dont even attempt to shunt it wont work, just back off and swing wider the next time its a lot less embarasing than 20 shunts then still having to get off and on again.

Kevin

OP
OP
ruffingitsmoothly

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi I have been on the train once before but only in a solo Scania tractor unit I had bought from Holland but of course that was on the freight train, I have been pricing up various routes and the tunnel looks good, in both price and reasonable crossing times, Norfolkline is a tiny bit cheaper but only with very unsocial crossing times.

I have a very good friend who has a place where we can park just outside La Trimouille a small town near Le Blanc and about 100ks north of Parcverger so may take in the rally there if there is room.

Regards Pat

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back