LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi @chockswahay interested that you just deposit what you draw out. If you say draw 200 euro then transfer the equivalent sterling back in does it cancel out the interest or do you have to bring the whole balance to zero, say the 200 euro and the £ 900 already spent in shops.
I live in EuroLand so have accounts in both but when I go elsewhere Croatia, USA, Morocco etc. Just draw the cash on the Credit Card and take the small hit on interest depending where in the month it is. I have the Santander Zero card so get nearly best rates with no surcharge.
If paying back the cash draw cancels the interest it seems a good way to do it on the occasional times it happens to me. Currency cards would be an additional headache for me but just doing a transfer the evening after drawing cash would be easy. OK the most I have suffered in a two month trip is about £8 in interest so all part of the costs of travelling but if it was easy to get round then worth doing.
Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hi @OldAgeTravellers

I just transfer enough to cover the cash withdrawal, this does indeed 'cancel' any interest........... the 'card' transactions remain unaffected so the net result is ZERO interest or fees (y). It works very well if you never know how much cash you will need and when you want it! I also have a DD set up to pay the balance in full on demand so never get caught out :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would have thought you have to bring the whole balance back to zero to avoid interest on the cash as you can't allocate a payment to a specific transaction. We use a clarity for goods hotels etc and a caxton for cash but bet the difference is hardly worth bothering with 2 cards!!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
As we are not smart phone users, and could never guarantee getting on the internet to top up a charge card, we use the fee free Nationwide CC for purchases only, and the fee free Norwich & Peterborough DC for cash withdrawals. :xThumb:

Both exchange at decent rates, at the time of processing. :xsmile:

Cheers,

Jock. :xsmile:

Last edited:

Deleted User
As we are not smart phone users, and could never guarantee getting on the internet to top up a charge card, we use the fee free Nationwide CC for purchases only, and the fee free Norwich & Peterborough DC for cash withdrawals. :xThumb:

Cheers,

Ditto :xsmile:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I would have thought you have to bring the whole balance back to zero to avoid interest on the cash as you can't allocate a payment to a specific transaction. We use a clarity for goods hotels etc and a caxton for cash but bet the difference is hardly worth bothering with 2 cards!!

Really it is interest free, done it for 2 years now :D They only charge interest on cash withdrawals as long as the 'other' balance is paid in full each month, hence pay the cash sum on the day and DD for the rest (y)

Trust me, my's son's a doctor :)

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years

Cheers,

You can set up a Caxton Cash Card so that it is topped up from a Current Bank Account by Text. You send the last 4 digits of the card number and the number of pounds to add

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
All to much hassle just take some cash with you then you won't have to worry about all the rates.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
All to much hassle just take some cash with you then you won't have to worry about all the rates.

Really? we go away for up to 3 months at a time. I would not want to take enough cash for that amount of time. :eek:

(P.S. I don't worry about the rates anyway (y))

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We do take some cash, ie, an emergency float, however, I wouldn't be happy carrying loads of cash.
We don't worry about the rates, but it's nice to view the statements when you get home, and see that you've not been unfairly stung.:xsmile:
You can set up a Caxton Cash Card so that it is topped up from a Current Bank Account by Text. You send the last 4 digits of the card number and the number of pounds to add
Thanks for that info. :xThumb:

Cheers,

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Also remember, that whilst it sort of works, the Revolut app is not optimised for iPad yet. I contacted them a few months back and they said a version is coming "soon" , but still waiting for it.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Buy Euros at trade price and use a Post Office credit card ( no fee when used abroad same as Nationwide card )

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Also remember, that whilst it sort of works, the Revolut app is not optimised for iPad yet. I contacted them a few months back and they said a version is coming "soon" , but still waiting for it.
Wont fit in my pocket (n)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Get cash ((€500 ish)) delivered to our door prior to departure and then just take our Norwich and Peterborough Debit cards with us.. Free cash withdrawals and good "on the day "exchange rate..
Sorted.
BUT, only if you haven't had a "brain Fart" and had to lose your driving licence for 6 Months !!!
Ooooooh Bugger.. :cry::cry::cry:
Merry Christmas all... :xThumb::xThumb::xThumb:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
Wont fit in my pocket (n)

True, but without my reading glasses, I can't see a smart phone. Unless it is an iPhone 6S and I keep telling Santa I've been a very good boy, but she seems to be a bit sceptical about that. :xrofl:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Never take much cash, if we are going to be mainly in France rarely spend much more than €50 a week in cash, pay for nearly everything on NW CC. I don't like giving other people my money up front which is what I would be doing with one of these cards.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
dont work in winniebagels neither:xrofl::xrofl:

Lee Fryer

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Eastleigh
Funster No
MH
Coach built CI Carioca 15
Exp
Since June 2012
It works OK on my iPad mini.
Lee

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
@Techno100 converted me to revolut a couple of months ago, I have looked at it most days and everytime I look it has offered me inter-bank rate, none of this we buy at x and we sell at y.

Also if you simply Google Euro rate the figure that comes up is the spot or inter bank rate, I have never been able to get this rate untill I switched it to Revolut.

Revolut also changes several times a day, you are not fixed to a daily rate as you are with many of the others.

Whatever currency is on your card, it automatically changes to whatever country you are in at the time. Brilliant.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Like most we have a pre load card. We buy when rates are high and leave them there.
We do not see it as paying up front as in a way its a form of saving for our next trip. OK there is no interest but there is sod all if its in the bank either. Plus buying when the exchange rate if favourable gives at least something back.

We do take a couple of hundred Euros in cash but why expose our money to loss or theft when we dont have to. Frankly carrying large amounts of cash is asking for it.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
For us a pre load card is not just about exchange rates, it's a bit of security too. If you do have the misfortune to get scammed it can only be to the value on the card and not tied to a bank account.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Those that know have a N&P account and Debit Card, those who don't, don't.

It is the only sensible way, if like us, you spend up to 6 months of the year over the water. If it's only for a week or two then it might not be worth the bother of opening an account!

:cooler:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
Those that know have a N&P account and Debit Card, those who don't, don't.
:cooler:

Account opened, thank you. Not for the debit card, but to us it to gain access to their 4% £250 per month savings account. Not a huge amount, but it will build at £3000 per year. Somewhere else to store a few shillings. As most of these type things have limits on amounts, we now have many bank accounts. :xrofl:

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Now carry 2 seperate pre load cards as last year card defaulted at several cash points, travelex transferred funds via western union in dollars which then cost us on exchanging to local currency.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back